Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
My girlfriend's contract is almost up. She gets the iPhone 5s can she give me the hardware after renewing her contract, and I give her my old iPhone 5 and just switch SIMs? I have an AT&T phone and she has a T-mobile. She can always switch to AT&T but my contract has one year left.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
You'd have to get your 5 unlocked and she'd have to buy the unlocked 5S.
Although there's confusion over whether the unlocked 5S will stay unlocked after being activated with T-Mo.
Then they should work but I don't think either of you will get LTE speeds being as they're both still on the wrong networks.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
You'd have to get your 5 unlocked and she'd have to buy the unlocked 5S.
Although there's confusion over whether the unlocked 5S will stay unlocked after being activated with T-Mo.
Then they should work but I don't think either of you will get LTE speeds being as they're both still on the wrong networks.

What if after her contract is up, she just get an AT&T 5s? Would both of us need to carrier unlock at all?

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If you are both on same network, no problem, swap SIMs.

If you are on different networks but (1) have unlocked phones, and (2) both accounts use the same tech (CDMA or GSM), also no problem, just swap SIMs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.