Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
bking1000
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Recommend a wireless router for an access point

I would like to upgrade my old Linsys G router. It's been a solid workhorse, but I'm thinking i'd like some more reach, and faster speed.

I do not need the ability to hang printers or disks off it. It also sits in a cabinet, so it doesn't have to look great.

I just want the basic features, coupled with reliability, ease of administration and keep the price down.

Edit: Based on comments below, I've added what I am using it for:

Wireless-only access point. I already have a wired network into a fast internet connection. This is strictly for when I'm unplugged, and for certain kinds of Apple media sharing. I wouldn't mind future-proofing with the fastest speed class available, but most of my equipment right now is no faster than n (I just got an iPhone 5S -- does that do better than n?)

Connected to it would be (not all at the same time):
  • 4 Laptops -- general work. All have access to wired connections, but often are untethered, too.
  • 1 headless computer for a media station hooked up to the TV (not wired -- the computer relies on wireless). Streams video in the evenings.
  • 4 other iOS devices, one dedicated for streaming internet audio to a radio

Moderate density suburbs, 2 story building. Would like to reach out into the yard about 50-75'. Security needs are not like if you were in a city, but I'd still like to lock it down.

My main concerns are device quality, speed and signal quality, ease of administration, and cost. For my budget, I could afford the latest Airport extreme, but I have no reasons for all the other ports, etc. and it seems to me there are a lot of $50 wireless routers out there.


Thanks for any help.

Last edited by bking1000; Sep 21, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
bking1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Have you considered an Airport Express. Relatively cheap, small and will do a pretty good job. You can also buy more than one to extend your range if you require. Refurbs are reasonably cheap at $75. Even new they are only $99. I use both the Airport Extreme and Airport Express in my home. They are several years old now and still work as good as when I bought them.
__________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 07:16 PM   #3
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Have you considered an Airport Express. Relatively cheap, small and will do a pretty good job. You can also buy more than one to extend your range if you require. Refurbs are reasonably cheap at $75. Even new they are only $99. I use both the Airport Extreme and Airport Express in my home. They are several years old now and still work as good as when I bought them.
airport express sucks man.....

go and buy the cheapest AC router you can find on amazon. If money isn't an issue then buy the airport extreme. I had an express and think it's over priced and only really worth it if you use it as a 2nd router to get air tunes with your stereo system.
crzdcolombian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 07:20 PM   #4
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
http://www.linksys.com/en-us/home

I have used them a long time easy to set up..works great
__________________
IMac 20 " 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OSX 10.7.5,
PowerBook G4, Macbook Air 10.9.3, Apple TV, Roku, IPhone 6
oldhifi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:48 PM   #5
bking1000
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Thanks. I was fishing for some specific model recommendations, but if they're all the same, then I'll just get a $50 one from Amazon.
bking1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:03 PM   #6
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God
 
glenthompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1000 View Post
Thanks. I was fishing for some specific model recommendations, but if they're all the same, then I'll just get a $50 one from Amazon.
Without knowing what is connected to it and what capabilities you need, it's hard to recommend specific models. Will you need 802.11ac in the near future? Any specific features like QOS or more advanced routing? How fast is your internet connection? What speed devices are you connecting to it via ethernet cables?

I use hard wiring for printers and desktop computers since they don't move. My MBP is also hardwired since it only moves when I take it out of the house. For inter-computer transfers, I like having gigabit ethernet over wireless.
__________________
15" MBP (late 2011), iPhone 5
iPad Air, ATV3 Mac Pro 3,1
glenthompson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:07 PM   #7
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post
airport express sucks man.....

go and buy the cheapest AC router you can find on amazon. If money isn't an issue then buy the airport extreme. I had an express and think it's over priced and only really worth it if you use it as a 2nd router to get air tunes with your stereo system.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Express. Guess I am fortunate to have it work so well.
__________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:16 PM   #8
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Express. Guess I am fortunate to have it work so well.
is it your main router? defiantly a 2nd router with the extreme but by itself it's not that great. Had it for a while for airtunes with my stereo system but would cut out a lot and I have 50mbp/s internet.

I don't know for the $100 bucks you'll spend you can get a AC router or a used last gen Airport extreme which would be much better options

5th gen used 65 bucks !!
http://www.amazon.com/AirPort-Extrem...irport+extreme
crzdcolombian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:17 PM   #9
phrehdd
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
It is tempting to offer up a solution or just say all routers are the same (which they are not)...but without more information, it is hard to discern an educated guess as to what might fit your immediate and long term needs.

I strongly suggest you go to the smallnetbuilder site as they have excellent reviews of routers and cover tests for throughput via ethernet, various tests on wireless at the given ratings for N, G, AC etc.

What is of particular interest is that the new Airport Extreme sits somewhere around the middle to low end on the higher end routers.

If you want AC but have no AC built into your equipment, consider a nice bridged network (2 AC routers that talk to each other and your devices are connected via CAT 5e or 6 to either router. Let one be the master and handle DHCP, reserved DHCP, NAT etc.) The latter allows the routers to do all the heavy lifting and it can work remarkably well.

In the past I have done some testing with both the previous generation Airport Extreme and the Airport Express. The Express NEVER did as well as the Extreme under various tests related to actual networking. A couple of real Mac fanboy friends of mine found the same thing out and skipped on the Express entirely in their "interesting" set ups.

Again try SmallNetBuilder site. Good hunting and shopping.
phrehdd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:32 AM   #10
bking1000
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Thanks all. This is a wireless-only network. I already have a wired network router into a fast internet connection. This is strictly for when I'm unplugged, and for certain kinds of Apple media sharing. I wouldn't mind future-proofing with the fastest speed class available, but most of my equipment right now is no faster than n (I just got an iPhone 5S -- does that do better than n?)

Connected to it would be (not all at the same time):
  • 4 Laptops -- general work. All have access to wired connections, but often are untethered, too.
  • 1 headless computer for a media station hooked up to the TV (not wired -- the computer relies on wireless). Streams video in the evenings.
  • 4 other iOS devices, one dedicated for streaming internet audio to a radio

Moderate density suburbs, 2 story building. Would like to reach out into the yard about 50-75'. Security needs are not like if you were in a city, but I'd still like to lock it down.

My main concerns are device quality, speed and signal quality, ease of administration, and cost. For my budget, I could afford the latest Airport extreme, but I have no reasons for all the other ports, etc. and it seems to me there are a lot of $50 wireless routers out there.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by bking1000; Sep 21, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
bking1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:50 AM   #11
bking1000
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Express

I had an Express. It kept dropping connections. I am not interested in trying one again.
bking1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1000 View Post
I had an Express. It kept dropping connections. I am not interested in trying one again.
There was a software update recently that fixed that
It was dropping my connection on iphobe and ipad before that
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:29 PM   #13
phrehdd
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1000 View Post
Thanks all. This is a wireless-only network. I already have a wired network router into a fast internet connection. This is strictly for when I'm unplugged, and for certain kinds of Apple media sharing. I wouldn't mind future-proofing with the fastest speed class available, but most of my equipment right now is no faster than n (I just got an iPhone 5S -- does that do better than n?)

Connected to it would be (not all at the same time):
  • 4 Laptops -- general work. All have access to wired connections, but often are untethered, too.
  • 1 headless computer for a media station hooked up to the TV (not wired -- the computer relies on wireless). Streams video in the evenings.
  • 4 other iOS devices, one dedicated for streaming internet audio to a radio

Moderate density suburbs, 2 story building. Would like to reach out into the yard about 50-75'. Security needs are not like if you were in a city, but I'd still like to lock it down.

My main concerns are device quality, speed and signal quality, ease of administration, and cost. For my budget, I could afford the latest Airport extreme, but I have no reasons for all the other ports, etc. and it seems to me there are a lot of $50 wireless routers out there.

Thanks for any help.
Skip the one wireless router and go for either 2 in bridged mode or one master and then access points. There is no reason you should not be able to achieve your ideal of being anywhere in your home or perimeter and not get a decent signal. For media playback (TV and computer etc.) best to use a cable connection to one of the routers to ensure consistent throughput if you use files that are moderate to high bitrate. - DVD level movies do fine on wireless and higher quality can at times choke.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:53 PM   #14
bking1000
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Skip the one wireless router and go for either 2 in bridged mode or one master and then access points. There is no reason you should not be able to achieve your ideal of being anywhere in your home or perimeter and not get a decent signal. For media playback (TV and computer etc.) best to use a cable connection to one of the routers to ensure consistent throughput if you use files that are moderate to high bitrate. - DVD level movies do fine on wireless and higher quality can at times choke.
Thanks, but that didn't answer my question. I have been fine with my G, but I would just like more speed.

No one seems to want to suggest certain names, so I'll look at the reviews on the small network site that was mentioned, and Amazon. I just thought someone could short circuit the research.
bking1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:23 PM   #15
brentsg
macrumors 68030
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
If you already have a wired network, then you obviously have a router. All you need is a wireless access point to attach to that network, unless you are setting up a separate network.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:27 PM   #16
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1000 View Post
Thanks, but that didn't answer my question. I have been fine with my G, but I would just like more speed.

No one seems to want to suggest certain names, so I'll look at the reviews on the small network site that was mentioned, and Amazon. I just thought someone could short circuit the research.
Does you cable company offer you a free router? Well not free but they are most likely charging you 7 bucks a month for a modem but you can get modem/router for the same 7 bucks. I have friends with 4 different companies and they all do the same thing.

As for routers. Apples are expensive and you want at the extreme as the express sucks. You can get the previous version for $65 bucks on amazon used. Basically every router you buy right now be it a $20 buck one is going to be awesome compared to your wireless G one. I suggest buying the cheapest Linksys AC router you can get.

$53
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Smartbe...ords=ac+router
crzdcolombian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:28 PM   #17
phrehdd
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1000 View Post
Thanks, but that didn't answer my question. I have been fine with my G, but I would just like more speed.

No one seems to want to suggest certain names, so I'll look at the reviews on the small network site that was mentioned, and Amazon. I just thought someone could short circuit the research.
If you go to smallnetbuilder, you will see their list of the top performers. I believe there is a netgear, asus and dlink listed. I still would suggest checking to see which one can be bridged or used as an access point in case you decide to really get the best of all worlds later with a 2nd wireless unit. If you go with older Airport Extremes, you can get a decent deal on two of them and run one downstairs and one upstairs in bridge mode. Just have the 2nd one in the best location to "talk" to the first router.

As for cable provided routers etc. I would never use their wireless versions and consider just the modem only from them or buy your own (Motorola and Zyxel perhaps?). Use your own routers and get far better control over the entire network you create.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18
coliny
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
http://www.wirelessrouterhome.com/fa...reless-router/
coliny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 08:19 PM   #19
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1000 View Post
Thanks. I was fishing for some specific model recommendations, but if they're all the same, then I'll just get a $50 one from Amazon.
AirPort Extreme is more stable than comparable devices. Here's a review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/a...-faster-wifi-/
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How would I set a static ip for remote access if I don't have access to the router? pruppert OS X Mavericks (10.9) 8 Feb 5, 2014 06:05 PM
TC as Router without WiFi and AEBS as WiFi Access Point southerndoc Mac Peripherals 1 Jun 1, 2013 02:38 AM
Please recommend wireless router/modem combo for Centurylink DSL with Apple TV chrisbru Apple TV and Home Theater 25 Jan 2, 2013 03:47 PM
New AirPort Express as an access point filmguy321 Apple TV and Home Theater 10 Nov 23, 2012 05:25 PM
Can somone recommend a router riw7124 MacBook Pro 39 Nov 16, 2012 09:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC