Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Sorry to be the guy that makes this thread but my 5s has a slight yellow hue tcompared to my iPhone 5. This is similar to what we first saw with the 5 last September. And it's weird because I thought my 5 had a yellow hue but maybe it gradually lessened over time. Not sure. Anyway compared to both my 5 and my sister's 5, the 5s definitely has a slight yellow hue to it. Will this go away? Anyone noticing the same? It's kinda noticeable in iOS 7 given that there's so much white or what's supposed to be white.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Sorry to be the guy that makes this thread but my 5s has a slight yellow hue tcompared to my iPhone 5. This is similar to what we first saw with the 5 last September. And it's weird because I thought my 5 had a yellow hue but maybe it gradually lessened over time. Not sure. Anyway compared to both my 5 and my sister's 5, the 5s definitely has a slight yellow hue to it. Will this go away? Anyone noticing the same? It's kinda noticeable in iOS 7 given that there's so much white or what's supposed to be white.

gluegate?

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012

I hear the screen has to burn in.

averlus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Can someone post visual examples of this happening? I keep reading about it but I've never seen it.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I noticed that my black 5s had a yellowish, washed out tint compared to the white 5s on display at my local Best Buy. Quite annoying to be honest and I doubt it's going to go away.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
We are going to see many thread like this ...
What I can say is to compare 5s with other 5s, not with previous generation phones, because it could be a different choice of calibration made by the manufacturer.
If your 5s is different from another 5s could be a defective (or poorly calibrated) screen. If it's different from a 5, could be a different screen (with same size and resolution).

I don't think the time is going to change the calibration: it's just you that finally get accustomed to the new tint.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
"Yellow hues" are actually screens that are calibrated close to 6500K (which is considered ideal). It has nothing to do with glue, and it certainly will NOT disappear over time. I have said this hundreds of times over the past years, yet still people think it's something that goes away. Color temperature does not magically change.
Each iphone is more yellow than the model that preceded it. Oh sorry, it's not "yellow" it's just "warmer."
This is nonsense. Screens vary (take 10 different iPhones and you'll have 10 different screens), and so does color temperature. At each iPhone launch, a user pops up who previously had a relatively cool screen (high color temperature) that now has a warmer (lower color temperature) screen. That's it. The average screen is not getting warmer (apart from the 4S - 5 upgrade, after which displays are on average more closely calibrated to 6500K because of the sRGB screens).
That was back in the old 2G/3G/3GS days. No way that you're gonna find two 5S phones that are so different from eachother. I'll bet you a 5S on that ;).

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
"Yellow hues" are actually screens that are calibrated close to 6500K (which is considered ideal). It has nothing to do with glue, and it certainly will NOT disappear over time. I have said this hundreds of times over the past years, yet still people think it's something that goes away. Color temperature does not magically change.
This is nonsense. Screens vary (take 10 different iPhones and you'll have 10 different screens), and so does color temperature. At each iPhone launch, a user pops up who previously had a relatively cool screen (high color temperature) that now has a warmer (lower color temperature) screen. That's it. The average screen is not getting warmer (apart from the 4S - 5 upgrade, after which displays are on average more closely calibrated to 6500K because of the sRGB screens).
That was back in the old 2G/3G/3GS days. No way that you're gonna find two 5S phones that are so different from eachother. I'll bet you a 5S on that ;).

actually thats what my 4 and 4S looked like on the left. the iPhone 4 was the first model with this issue that I ever saw

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
When I first opened the box and did some stuff with my phone and noticed what seemed to be more of a yellow tint. The fix for me was turning up the brightness. It was on "Autobrightness", but the setting was too low. I turned up the brightness and that yellowness was gone immediately.

S

syd430

Each iphone is more yellow than the model that preceded it. Oh sorry, it's not "yellow" it's just "warmer."

Please don't spread misinformation. The truth is, there is a lot of panel variation. The next screen you get might be warmer or it might be cooler. I've gone through many iphone 4's, 4s's, 5's and now have a 5s. Some have been warmer some have been cooler. They don't get warmer with each new model. That's just some BS you made up. Then again 90% of this board is made up BS.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Please don't spread misinformation. The truth is, there is a lot of panel variation. The next screen you get might be warmer or it might be cooler. I've gone through many iphone 4's, 4s's, 5's and now have a 5s. Some have been warmer some have been cooler. They don't get warmer with each new model. That's just some BS you made up. Then again 90% of this board is made up BS.

Congratulations, you won a free cookie.

Rocksue

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
I had two iphone 5S in my hand. One had a warmer screen but sharper with saturated colors. It felt "funny" and vivid. The second one is neutral. Just to tell that every models have a different screen. I liked both thought.

edit : IMHO, the worst is bluish screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.