Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Because Apple limiting supply to carriers is now a reality, it seems that the only choice to be able to truly get what you want is to purchase at an Apple store. For future iPhone releases to come, I will not go to an AT&T store now because I'll fear a repeat of what happened this year. I'm still in awe that Apple only provided 2 phones for the launch of their 5S/5C, the grey 5S and the green 5C.

What do others think?

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I'm sure they do, but not more than any other years.

I've never heard of reports of any iPhone releases where big names such as AT&T and Verizon don't get ANY of a certain color/make. This year there were many reports of carriers not getting 2/3 5S models and only 1 color of the 5C. I would say that is a huge throttle around carriers. It's not "limited supply" more like, not supplying them at all. Big difference.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I've never heard of reports of any iPhone releases where big names such as AT&T and Verizon don't get ANY of a certain color/make. This year there were many reports of carriers not getting 2/3 5S models and only 1 color of the 5C. I would say that is a huge throttle around carriers. It's not "limited supply" more like, not supplying them at all. Big difference.

This year is also special in the fact that there are many more models and capacitys of iPhones. Never has there been a 5S AND 5C. Never has there been this many colors. I think they simply couldn't make enough..

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Not sure if they didn't make enough silver and gold on purpose or not, but obvious it's not because of the finger print sensor shortage. There are still grey iPhone that can be pick up from carrier store. Just read on boy genius roper that Apple didn't expect that many ppl wanting the gold color, now they are ramping up production for the gold iPhone

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Because Apple limiting supply to carriers is now a reality, it seems that the only choice to be able to truly get what you want is to purchase at an Apple store. For future iPhone releases to come, I will not go to an AT&T store now because I'll fear a repeat of what happened this year. I'm still in awe that Apple only provided 2 phones for the launch of their 5S/5C, the grey 5S and the green 5C.

What do others think?

Well, I went to an Apple Store today because I thought they would have a nice selection of 5s iPhones. Oh, I was wrong, wrong wrong. Only 7 of the first 10 people in line got gold or silver. The other 3 + the hundreds of people behind them could only choose space grey :rolleyes:

Oh okay . . . Sounds like you are referring to total number of iPhones shipped to carriers. Never mind

Last edited:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I don't think so. The Apple store I went to had about 250 people in line at 6am when I got there. They ran out of the model I wanted (Verizon 64GB space grey) long before they reached me. Went across the street to the Verizon store. Number 39 in line and I got what I wanted. I've never ever seen this store lined up so bad and I've been there for every iPhone launch!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

What do others think?

It would make more sense if Apple actually had the supply in their OWN stores, but they didn't.

Apple wants more iPhones in everybody's hands, it's their BIGGEST revenue by far. They're not going to mess it up intentionally with stupid stunts like this.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Did Apple purposely limit supply to carriers to push people to buy at an Apple Store?

While I don't think they did. I do think they have a good motivation to do so :

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/07/ti...-apple-stores-might-be-harder-than-he-thinks/
We heard a report earlier this year that Tim Cook is looking to increase the number of iPhones sold at Apple’s retail stores. The premise of this idea is because Cook believes that the iPhone is a “gateway” product, and once customers can see how well the phone syncs up with other Apple products, like Mac computers demonstrated at the retail store, customers could then be persuaded to buy additional products as well.: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/07/ti...-apple-stores-might-be-harder-than-he-thinks/

SteveCarriere

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
That's fine, I don't care where I buy my phone, but not everyone has an Apple store near them. Closest one for me is 6 hours away. I have to buy at AT&T or online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.