Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
This started happening to me in the last 2 days, all of a sudden I'm getting crappy battery life..I use to get a lot of standby time and now all of a sudden it is half that. What has changed? I stuck to the GM and didn't upgrade to the identical final release..so I don't get it. Anyone? It's starting to kinda piss me off. :mad:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
This started happening to me in the last 2 days, all of a sudden I'm getting crappy battery life..I use to get a lot of standby time and now all of a sudden it is half that. What has changed? I stuck to the GM and didn't upgrade to the identical final release..so I don't get it. Anyone? It's starting to kinda piss me off. :mad:

Re-install it to see if it helps.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Re-install it to see if it helps.

Crap, how many times am I going to have to do this lol. I've already did this like 100 times. Clean install or what dude? Ill just go back to iOS 6.1.3 and then restore from there. Wait 6.1.4 good?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Crap, how many times am I going to have to do this lol. I've already did this like 100 times. Clean install or what dude? Ill just go back to iOS 6.1.3 and then restore from there. Wait 6.1.4 good?

You did not mention you re-installed already. Did you do a clean install?
There are other battery drain threads you might read. I personally don't have the issue on my iPhone 5 GM.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
You did not mention you re-installed already. Did you do a clean install?
There are other battery drain threads you might read. I personally don't have the issue on my iPhone 5 GM.

I did a clean install many times..but now I can't go back to any of them..so I guess its just clean install over top of iOS 7.

PoopyThomas

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
I encountered the same issue when I installed it, I noticed the battery life was acting weird so I restored it and after that it still had the same issue. Yesterday night I remembered that it was the time of the month where I was supposed to let the battery drain completely and then give it a full charge. I charged it through the night and now my battery is acting normal :D

TL;DR: Let your phone battery die and let it charge 100%

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I encountered the same issue when I installed it, I noticed the battery life was acting weird so I restored it and after that it still had the same issue. Yesterday night I remembered that it was the time of the month where I was supposed to let the battery drain completely and then give it a full charge. I charged it through the night and now my battery is acting normal :D

TL;DR: Let your phone battery die and let it charge 100%

The new batteries don't need calibrating like that.

----------

I would install a diagnostic app and see if you have any rogue apps going etc.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Try to turn off the background app refresh and reduce motion setting,
That did it for me. Now battery life more or the same as ios 6.

Garyx24

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Nope my battery life is the same as IOS 6 or slightly better. I didn't even bother starting fresh, just restored backup from iTunes

scottytwo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
multipath tcp makes for battery drain. if you aren't using cellular, turn it off. see if that works

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Read Page 6 of this, the Battery Life section.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ios-7-thoroughly-reviewed/6/

Apparently, the same iPhone 5 looping Safari pages every 15 seconds at 50% brightness lasted 11.1 hours on iOS 6.1.3

Then when updated completely clean to iOS 7 with the exact same conditions and settings lasted only 7.4 hours.

I'll pass on this "update".

Why?????

Because you need to loop safari every 15 seconds for 11.1 hours everyday?

Ok, I agree battery life is lower if going by the link you posted above, but for daily use, looping safari every 15 seconds and getting 7.4 hours battery is still good....

Battery life will improve as upgrades are made available.... Have faith......

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Safari eats battery life in iOS 7, for sure.

Using Chrome on the other hand, far better.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Apparently Facebook app is the culprit

http://m.tuaw.com/2013/06/04/developer-suspects-facebook-app-is-behind-iphone-battery-drain/

Techwing

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
My battery life seems to be at least as good under iOS 7 as it was under iOS 6.1.4, if not better. This is on an iPhone 5.

However, I've turned off the new eye candy in iOS 7 (translucency and parallax), and I've turned off background apps and all push notifications as well (I don't need or want things running on the phone unless I'm using them). These are all nice features, but I personally prefer to get longer battery life by turning them off.

I think people who see less battery life are seeing it because they leave new features enabled. Obviously, if you have features that didn't exist before, they're going to use more power, so if you want to return to former power consumption, you may have to turn them off. My guess is that many of the basic features of the phone are slightly more power-efficient than they were in iOS 6 (since that's how operating systems tend to evolve), but the new features are relatively immature so far and are probably still relatively power-hungry.

I have Facebook open a lot in the background and haven't seen a problem, but I disabled push notifications for Facebook, too. It's easy enough to update it when I bring it up on the screen, and I'm not in that much of a rush to see new posts that I have to turn on push notification. More battery savings.

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
My 5 has gone dead twice since installing iOS 7 the other day. This is not typical at all for my usage habits.

Ironically, I have been a big critic of the new OS and I have to admit it's growing on me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My 5 has gone dead twice since installing iOS 7 the other day. This is not typical at all for my usage habits.

Ironically, I have been a big critic of the new OS and I have to admit it's growing on me.

There's a number of services that run in the background which are affecting battery performance. I've disabled some of them but I am still finding battery performance to be sub par to that of iOS6, i.e., by battery does not last as long as before.

jDW194

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
Canberra, Australia

Nope all good

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
Apparently Facebook app is the culprit

http://m.tuaw.com/2013/06/04/developer-suspects-facebook-app-is-behind-iphone-battery-drain/
This is often an issue for certain - but it is irregular. Can make battery hot and cools as soon as you quit app. Was in iOS 6 too.

There's definitely an issue on my iOS 7 - half the time as others said.

One additional (small) item could be this 'frequent location' thing that keeps switching on my GPS.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Don't reinstall it.

iOS 7 was killing my iPhone 5's battery life for the first 36 hours and then suddenly it was fine. I think was is happening, although I can't confirm this, is iOS 7 is re-indexing your phone or doing some other maintenance type operations. These are draining the battery life but once they are done you should be fine.

Re-installing iOS 7 will give you the illusion, maybe, that it works. But in reality it is still doing all of the same stuff. If you re-install and set your phone up like a new phone then all of these operations happen gradually and you won't notice them.

Just my two cents.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Don't reinstall it.

iOS 7 was killing my iPhone 5's battery life for the first 36 hours and then suddenly it was fine. I think was is happening, although I can't confirm this, is iOS 7 is re-indexing your phone or doing some other maintenance type operations. These are draining the battery life but once they are done you should be fine.

Re-installing iOS 7 will give you the illusion, maybe, that it works. But in reality it is still doing all of the same stuff. If you re-install and set your phone up like a new phone then all of these operations happen gradually and you won't notice them.

Just my two cents.

I agree with this. It happened with my phone too. I also don't believe there is any evidence that setting up as new helps with battery life. It does clean up a lot of junk, but the iOS does not need to be cleanly installed to work properly.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Don't reinstall it.

Just my two cents.

Same thing here. Looks like iOS has some built-in optimization that takes a few days to take over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.