Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who thinks iOS 7 Looks Weird on a Black iPhone?

Am I the only one who feels that Apple essentially released an operating system that only looks good on white iPhones? The amount of white space and bright neon hues is staggering in iOS 7 and it simply looks out of place on a black iPhone. There are no options for darker dynamic backgrounds and every Apple app includes an overload of pure white, what gives? This is something no less than 5 of my iPhone owning friends have pointed out and it's mirrored in Apple's advertising that only features the white iPhone 5S. Did Apple forget that black iPhone 5's exist?

Apple definitely made an OS that looks great... on the white iPhone, but why didn't they have a simple toggle that uses dark grey or black as the primary color for backgrounds? Why near-black dynamic backgrounds? Why no dark-grey interface version? I know everyone in the beta was practically begging for this, and now that I have iOS 7 on my black 5, it just plain looks weird every time I look at it.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Radiating is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
ajiuo
macrumors 6502

I was using ios7 beta on a white 5 for a few months.. I was a bit woried about switching to a black 5s.. But honestly it diesnt bother me to much.

White apps dont look nearly as bad on the black phone as black apps do on the white.. My 2
ajiuo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Finding the right wallpaper helps a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	434821  
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

It looks fine to me.
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
sviato
macrumors 68000

I'm surprised there's not a black theme :S
sviato is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
mrdm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Am I the only one who feels that Apple essentially released an operating system that only looks good on white iPhones? The amount of white space and bright neon hues is staggering in iOS 7 and it simply looks out of place on a black iPhone. There are no options for darker dynamic backgrounds and every Apple app includes an overload of pure white, what gives? This is something no less than 5 of my iPhone owning friends have pointed out and it's mirrored in Apple's advertising that only features the white iPhone 5S. Did Apple forget that black iPhone 5's exist?

Apple definitely made an OS that looks great... on the white iPhone, but why didn't they have a simple toggle that uses dark grey or black as the primary color for backgrounds? Why near-black dynamic backgrounds? Why no dark-grey interface version? I know everyone in the beta was practically begging for this, and now that I have iOS 7 on my black 5, it just plain looks weird every time I look at it.

No. Not at all. 7 is a huge improvement over 6 in so many ways and the aesthetic on black iPhones looks great in my opinion. It may be the background you've chosen.
mrdm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #7
peridot
macrumors member

Finding the right wallpaper makes all the difference. I was really pleasantly surprised once I found "the one".
peridot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Zellio
macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't have to find a wallpaper to make a bunch of funky icons looking aesthetically pleasing.
Zellio is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:26 PM   #9
mrmarts
macrumors 65816

I agree this new vibrant iOS is best experienced on a white or gold iPhone, i have always been using a black iPhone since the 3G, but the new iOS sticks out like a sore thumb, also the silver ring around the home button looks better on white my next iphone and ipad will be a white one.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:42 PM   #10
jpcarro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellio View Post
You shouldn't have to find a wallpaper to make a bunch of funky icons looking aesthetically pleasing.
Apple's idea of "dynamic" theming. It's rendered most of my favorite wallpapers useless. But I agree with others, tinker with various wallpapers.

And I find the darker wallpapers do look better on my black 5s...as long as there's still plenty of color in them.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:15 AM   #11
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Key to making iOS7 pleasing to your eye whether on a white or black iPhone5S is a wallpaper which makes the icons friendly. Busy wallpapers tend to take away, while colorful simple wallpapers look aesthetically pleasing.
bushman4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Darker wallpapers look much better on the black phones.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:29 AM   #13
XciteMePls
macrumors newbie

TC, I have a black iPhone 5 and I feel the EXACT same way.
XciteMePls is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:30 AM   #14
juliereed
macrumors newbie

It looks just fine. Anyway, there are wallpapers out there available for download.
juliereed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:33 AM   #15
lsutigerfan1976
macrumors 6502a

Not to jack the thread, but i am disappointed that apple did nothing to fix the fact that if i set a picture as my wallpaper. It zooms in way too much. I kept hearing oh wait till they release the final version. They will fix it then. Well here we have the GM and final release, and still i cannot use personalized wallpaper because of the fact it zooms way in. Even when i fool with the settings and turn off panorama and other stuff. It still does not help. Seems like an oversight by Apple.
lsutigerfan1976 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:37 AM   #16
veedubshafer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigerfan1976 View Post
Not to jack the thread, but i am disappointed that apple did nothing to fix the fact that if i set a picture as my wallpaper. It zooms in way too much. I kept hearing oh wait till they release the final version. They will fix it then. Well here we have the GM and final release, and still i cannot use personalized wallpaper because of the fact it zooms way in. Even when i fool with the settings and turn off panorama and other stuff. It still does not help. Seems like an oversight by Apple.

Turning on "reduce motion" in accessibility fixed it on my ip5 and both my ipad4's.
veedubshafer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:55 AM   #17
iapplelove
Banned

I have a white iPad black iPhone both look good.
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:19 AM   #18
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Am I the only one ......
Never really quite understood these kind of questions that starts with "Am I the only one" Surely you are not and you know it. You could be a billionare and not be the only one, never mind when it comes to preference matters.

On the subject, I love iOS 7 to the point that iOS 6 and the other previous versions look hedious to me.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:20 AM   #19
marksman
Banned

Racist?

I don't know though as I have a small white phone.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:37 AM   #20
L1mera1n
macrumors newbie

You are the only one.
L1mera1n is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:40 AM   #21
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:

If you don't like it, just invert the colours under settings. Does that suit your taste better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	434871  

Last edited by Apple fanboy; Sep 21, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:40 AM   #22
maflynn

I wished apple would provide a dark theme but overall I'm not noticing anything weird, it looks fine to me.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 06:20 AM   #23
coconutxyz
macrumors member

Something like this
coconutxyz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:45 AM   #24
iWeldonJ
macrumors member

I had iOS 7 while I had my white iPhone 5 and yes, it looked so much better . When looking at the apple site you can see that it was designed for white, which has always been apples color of choice, and style.... Simplicity.

I got stuck with space age gray, and to me it just doesn't flow. I'll play with darker wall papers and see if that in fact helps.

Someone just mentioned the silver ring around the home button, I don't see a silver ring around mine. Mine is all black, is that normal?
iWeldonJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWeldonJ View Post
I had iOS 7 while I had my white iPhone 5 and yes, it looked so much better . When looking at the apple site you can see that it was designed for white, which has always been apples color of choice, and style.... Simplicity.

I got stuck with space age gray, and to me it just doesn't flow. I'll play with darker wall papers and see if that in fact helps.

Someone just mentioned the silver ring around the home button, I don't see a silver ring around mine. Mine is all black, is that normal?
Only the white iphone has a silver ring. The black one having a silver ring is a misconception. I've been playing around with wallpapers. It's better but not perfect.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7