Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I went down to the Apple store today to see the 5S in person and I must say that the difference between the "gold" and white one are almost non-existent.

The shades are so close to each other that from maybe 10 feet away its hard to see what you're looking at unless they're next to each other (at which point the gold one looks like its just colored in a bit more).

I put up my white iPhone 5 next to it and the differences were really minimal. I'd say it's the same as seeing a white piece of paper lit up by a daylight light bulb (silver) and a warm light (gold). Basically just the tint slightly.

So if anyone here is expecting a BLING BLING phone that's going to make Mr. T jealous, you'll be disappointed.

On the other hand, I am glad to see that gold is a valid choice that still maintains elegance and professionalism and isn't too "flashy" for a serious user.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Was actually glad that the gold iPhone 5S isn't bling bling gold, but a subtle 'champagne' gold that I was looking for. Gives it a much premium look, not a ghetto look .

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I must say I'm very very satisfied with my purchase.​

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 630

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I was the fourth person in line in at my local Apple store . My plan was to start the line at 4 am . But something told me to check it out around midnight and there's was a few people in line so I decided to join . There was only one iphone gold available for my carrier and luckily the three people in front of me wanted the black one and white ! I was so happy when I got it in my hands . Lol. I'm such a nerd.

Happy camper

Last edited:

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
What's the story of how you got it?!?!

I was the fourth person in line in at my local Apple store . My plan was to start the line at 4 am . But something told me to check it out around midnight and there's was a few people in line so I decided to join . There was only one iphone gold available for my carrier and luckily the three people in front of me wanted the black one and white ones ! I was so happy when I got it in my hands . Lol. I'm such a nerd.

Happy camper

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
From the beginning, the champagne gold to me is obviously very classic, never mind that sum people here first heard gold immediately went ewwwww.

But now with actual pictures being taken, am going to the other way, the champagne gold maybe a little bit TOO MUTED! what's the point of gold vs silver if one can't tell the difference from a normal distance? I think I would like a little bit tinny more blink.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
From the beginning, the champagne gold to me is obviously very classic, never mind that sum people here first heard gold immediately went ewwwww.

But now with actual pictures being taken, am going to the other way, the champagne gold maybe a little bit TOO MUTED! what's the point of gold vs silver if one can't tell the difference from a normal distance? I think I would like a little bit tinny more blink.
I will wait to get my gold Buick, before I buy a gold iPhone,maybe when I am 80!

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA

I like the gold back surface.

What I'm not fond of is shiny chamfered edge and home button ring. It reminds me of the glass and gold furniture that was in a furnished condo my family bought circa 1986.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The gold is very much a clean and elegant color. Even the website makes it look more gold than it truly is. They did a great job and I'm happy I went with it!

(I was 5th in line, lucked out and got the last one).

jdmass

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
The gold is very much a clean and elegant color. Even the website makes it look more gold than it truly is. They did a great job and I'm happy I went with it!

(I was 5th in line, lucked out and got the last one).

I agree. I was no. 20 in line and managed to snag on of the last ones. The understated color fits well with the whole minimalist IOS7 approach, I think.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I want the gold one so bad, but I am afraid I am going to have to compromise so I am not without a phone for multiple weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.