Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

iPod touch home button...

It's not working. What can I do about it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:33 AM   #2
defunct32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
It's not working. What can I do about it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Use AssistiveTouch. Settings > General > Accessibility then scroll all the way down and turn on AssistiveTouch. What generation is your iPod? Am just curious.
defunct32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by defunct32 View Post
Use AssistiveTouch. Settings > General > Accessibility then scroll all the way down and turn on AssistiveTouch. What generation is your iPod? Am just curious.
Gen 4. Is it possible to fix my home button? Should I go to the Apple store?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:11 AM   #4
defunct32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Gen 4. Is it possible to fix my home button? Should I go to the Apple store?
There is an alcohol fix method if you search on YouTube, try typing: ipod home button alcohol something along that line. Apple would probably charge you money to fix your home button and it's Gen 4, very outdated. Your best bet is to use the AssistiveTouch.

If you decided to use the alcohol method then do it AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There is an alcohol fix method if you search on YouTube, try typing: ipod home button alcohol something along that line. Apple would probably charge you money to fix your home button and it's Gen 4, very outdated. Your best bet is to use the AssistiveTouch.

If you decided to use the alcohol method then do it AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Thanks. How much do you think Apple would charge me?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:23 AM   #6
defunct32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks. How much do you think Apple would charge me?
I'm not sure but I've read they charge quite ridiculously, one post I read Apple charged the user 200 bucks to have it fixed. But good luck with having your button all working again, let us know whether you send it for repair, alcohol method or if you just stick with the AssistiveTouch.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'm not sure but I've read they charge quite ridiculously, one post I read Apple charged the user 200 bucks to have it fixed. But good luck with having your button all working again, let us know whether you send it for repair, alcohol method or if you just stick with the AssistiveTouch.
Thanks for the advice. I understand my iPod Touch is quite old now but I still have my iPad 4/iPad 1 and 3GS. Thanks.

I'll be sure to post a thread here or a reply to this thread if I get it working again.

Is this a common or a rare problem on the iPod Touches?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:31 AM   #8
defunct32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I understand my iPod Touch is quite old now but I still have my iPad 4/iPad 1 and 3GS. Thanks.

I'll be sure to post a thread here or a reply to this thread if I get it working again.

Is this a common or a rare problem on the iPod Touches?
Wow, quite the Apple fan aren't you? :P

It was a common problem with the home button being broken after a bit of usage, but it seems Apple got their act together and the home button issue is not a big problem anymore.

Some say to press the button lightly and don't press it too much, I avoid using the button as much as I can and I use the AssistiveTouch for that some have also said the reason the button isn't responding is because of dirt and grimes under it that causing it to not respond, this is when the alcohol comes into play.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:28 PM   #9
anaqvi786
macrumors regular

Did you try recalibration?
Hold the power button until it says to 'slide to power off' and then hold the home button until the slide to pwr off goes away. Good Luck!
anaqvi786 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:31 PM   #10
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a

I had a 4th gen iPod, briefly, and it did the same thing. There is something about that generations home button that broke down quickly, I'm not sure why!
stiligFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch