Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 603

Nuke That Fell Off B52 in 1961 Almost Exploded in North Carolina.

Mod: The event is not a current one, but just reported. Is this in the right forum?

USAToday

Nukes, playing with the devil. What kind of national impact would that of had not to mention N.Carolina and the states that surround it?

Quote:
The 4-megaton Mark 39 bombs -- each packing 260 times the explosive power of the weapon that decimated Hiroshima -- broke loose over Goldsboro, N.C., as the bomber went into a tailspin and crashed.
mark39

The Mark 39 hydrogen bomb had an explosive yield of 4 megatons, equal to 4 million tons of TNT. Two fell accidentally on Goldsboro, N.C., in 1961, and one nearly detonated.(Photo: U.S. Air Force)

All four safety mechanisms designed to prevent accidental detonation worked properly on one bomb, which landed in a meadow, but three failed on the other, and only a low-voltage switch kept it from exploding upon impact in a field in Faro, N.C., said the 1969 report.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Wow, that is very scary.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
snberk103
macrumors 603

There is a clip on the BBC that talks about this incident\. Plus the 1000 other unreported 'Broken Arrows' - and a mention of an accident with an ICBM whose warhead had 3x the equivalent of the TNT dropped during the entire Second World War - including the A-Bombs on Japan.

Scary indeed. We're lucky we got out of the Cold War at all. Keep in mind that if the US was having this number close calls - how many near-misses did the USSR have?

Very Scary....
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:15 AM   #4
localoid
macrumors 68020

A video from the Buckley Report, below, provides some details of the 1961 incident in North Carolina, with accounts by one of the pilots of the B-52, a member of the military who was part of the recovery team, and an eye witness to the crash.

According to the video, one bomb ended up in pieces, and a section of the bomb (containing uranium) is still missing, so it's lost... err, somewhere ~180 ft. underground...

As the video points out, the H-bomb mishap took place just 3 days after JFK was sworn into office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
... What kind of national impact would that of had not to mention N.Carolina and the states that surround it?
Goldsboro, NC is only about 250 air miles from Washington, DC., so the impact could potentially being huge...

But hells bells... just the fallout from the nuclear tests conducted by the U.S. government had an national impact...

Atmospheric bomb tests at the Nevada test site during the 1945-1963 time period caused the production of large amounts of long-lived radioactivity in the atmosphere which was distributed by high altitude winds over the USA and Canada and even world wide. A 1997 study by National Cancer Institute (NCI) indicated internal exposures to radioiodine-131 from fallout was the most serious health risk of the testing.

Anyone living in the U.S. 1945-1963 received at least a 2 rad thyroid radiation exposure, with some people receiving up to 300 rads.

Exposure of the American People to Iodine-131 from Nevada Nuclear-Bomb Tests ... (Google books preview)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fallout-Pattern.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	435146  

Last edited by localoid; Sep 22, 2013 at 05:50 AM.
localoid is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:29 PM   #5
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

It is my understanding that a Nuclear bomb is triggered by compressing a fissile core with conventional explosives, which much be done is a very precise manor (not likely to happen on impact) in order to achieve critical mass.* Otherwise you just get a dirty bomb. (which, though still isn't good, is not nearly as destructive as properly detonated Nuke)

*The detonation of fissile material in turn triggers a fusion reaction with the H-Bomb's namesake Hydrogen.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:27 PM   #6
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

I wonder if the typical nuke was even real, or a part of this strange game that goes on and on between countries.
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:32 PM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
It is my understanding that a Nuclear bomb is triggered by compressing a fissile core with conventional explosives, which much be done is a very precise manor (not likely to happen on impact) in order to achieve critical mass.* Otherwise you just get a dirty bomb. (which, though still isn't good, is not nearly as destructive as properly detonated Nuke)

*The detonation of fissile material in turn triggers a fusion reaction with the H-Bomb's namesake Hydrogen.
My understanding from reading the linked article (and then the one it linked to) is that all the switches to trigger the conventional explosives turned on - except for last one. If that that last switch had worked properly then the conventional explosives would have compressed the fissile core as planned... i.e. in a very precise manner.

Last edited by snberk103; Sep 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added two missing coffee deprived words... sorry about that....
snberk103 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:12 AM   #8
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Here's an interesting review of Eric Schlosser's book "Command and Control"
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...urrentPage=all

A friend tells me there was an interview with him on NPR this week too.

It's a wonder, no it's a miracle, that nothing completely disastrous has happened yet. So many ways large and small for things to go bad quickly.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:17 PM   #9
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickettGrrrl View Post
It's a wonder, no it's a miracle, that nothing completely disastrous has happened yet.
Another reason to wonder if they are mostly just duds.

Also, consider how kind it would be not to kill millions of people just because you don't like their tax structure. Think of the Human Rights....
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:51 AM   #10
EchoTheDolphin
macrumors newbie

This is actually old news, just some details were revealed recently further describing the process. You should also be warned the guy who 'revealed' it is an anti-nuclear weapons activist to the extreme (IE: his viewpoint is that every nuclear weapon on earth is a hammerstrike away from causing armageddon)

That having been said "one safety from going off" isn't as close as you might think. The process involved in that last safety is quite complex and impossible to deactivate by chance, requiring direct input from crew members and a coded unlock at the very least. The majority of the rest of the safeties were similar to what a fighter jet's missiles have on them, they're literal safeties in terms of keeping it inert and the engine from firing while it's on the ground.

EDIT: Nuclear weapons are very complex, they can't just "go off" you could hammer on one all day, set it on fire, even set off explosives next to it and at the very worst you'll have the explosives inside go off and contaminate a moderate-sized area. Nuclear weapons required very, very, very precise detonations to occur in sequences measured unless than a microsecond, otherwise they're just conventional bombs that will spread radioactive material in a small area.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_...)#Broken_Arrow there have been quite a few "lost" bombs that results from crashed or damaged aircraft over the years. A surprising number in fact, due to nuclear physicist and scientists, in fact, being experts and thorough, not one of them has accidentally gone of, because it is, for all intents and purposes, impossible.

Last edited by EchoTheDolphin; Sep 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
EchoTheDolphin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTheDolphin View Post
That having been said "one safety from going off" isn't as close as you might think. ....
EDIT: Nuclear weapons are very complex, they can't just "go off" you could hammer on one all day, set it on fire, even set off explosives next to it and at the very worst you'll have the explosives inside go off and contaminate a moderate-sized area. ...
I think you may have missed the point of this particular story. I agree with you that nuclear weapons are designed so that in case they are accidentally dropped they will simply leave an impact crater of a large and heavy object dropped from a height. And most nuclear weapon accidents are simply that... a large inert object dropped from a height.

In this particular case, though, the weapon was not inert. The triggering systems were not working to prevent a nuclear explosion. In this case the systems were doing everything they could to initiate the carefully controlled and precisely timed sequence of events that would blow that part of the continent to Kingdom Come.

It doesn't really matter if that last switch failed to work, and therefore prevented the cataclysm (that it was designed for) through sheer good fortune - or whether it worked as designed and was the final and last safety. It was still far far too close.

And I think, with all due respect, that you may be a bit too nonchalant about the rather nasty effects of a nuclear bomb that goes fizzle-blourp rather than ka-boom. Consider the impact of the radioactive leak at Fukushima that occurred inside a containment building against the widespread effects of a nuclear warhead vapourized by high-explosives and spread into the 4 winds of rural South Carolina. Spread across the farms, into the rivers, into the wind, across the Interstates, into the sea, and... upwind of several major urban areas. And consider that in those days they did not have the knowledge about the long-term impacts that we do now, nor the technology and expertise to deal with the contaminated materials.

Imagine the long-term implications had the weapon gone off. IF the US and the USSR had not gone to war (through a misunderstanding) at that point the US would likely, imho, not have gone on and become a superpower. The nation would have had to divert massive amounts of resources to rebuilding and providing healthcare to hundreds of thousands of people, while the USSR continued building its empire. The American people would certainly have forced a slowdown in the militarization of the nation. And of course who knows how the lineage of Presidents would have unfolded from there.

It would make a really good starting point for an alternative reality novel though, eh?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
My understanding from reading the linked article (and then the one it linked to) is that all the switches to trigger the conventional explosives turned on - except for last one. If that that last switch had worked properly then the conventional explosives would have compressed the fissile core as planned... i.e. in a very precise manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I think you may have missed the point of this particular story. I agree with you that nuclear weapons are designed so that in case they are accidentally dropped they will simply leave an impact crater of a large and heavy object dropped from a height. And most nuclear weapon accidents are simply that... a large inert object dropped from a height.

In this particular case, though, the weapon was not inert. The triggering systems were not working to prevent a nuclear explosion. In this case the systems were doing everything they could to initiate the carefully controlled and precisely timed sequence of events that would blow that part of the continent to Kingdom Come.

It doesn't really matter if that last switch failed to work, and therefore prevented the cataclysm (that it was designed for) through sheer good fortune - or whether it worked as designed and was the final and last safety. It was still far far too close.

And I think, with all due respect, that you may be a bit too nonchalant about the rather nasty effects of a nuclear bomb that goes fizzle-blourp rather than ka-boom. Consider the impact of the radioactive leak at Fukushima that occurred inside a containment building against the widespread effects of a nuclear warhead vapourized by high-explosives and spread into the 4 winds of rural South Carolina. Spread across the farms, into the rivers, into the wind, across the Interstates, into the sea, and... upwind of several major urban areas. And consider that in those days they did not have the knowledge about the long-term impacts that we do now, nor the technology and expertise to deal with the contaminated materials.

Imagine the long-term implications had the weapon gone off. IF the US and the USSR had not gone to war (through a misunderstanding) at that point the US would likely, imho, not have gone on and become a superpower. The nation would have had to divert massive amounts of resources to rebuilding and providing healthcare to hundreds of thousands of people, while the USSR continued building its empire. The American people would certainly have forced a slowdown in the militarization of the nation. And of course who knows how the lineage of Presidents would have unfolded from there.

It would make a really good starting point for an alternative reality novel though, eh?
Two excellent and thoughtful posts.

A deeply disturbing - exceedingly unnerving - and rather thought provoking story. Having come across the story, I have followed it on the BBC.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Tags
nuclear bomb, nuke