Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
I'm having this PB G4 for a few years now, and I love it!
Yet a few months ago, the amount of RAM available began to hesitate between 2 and 1 GB. Sometimes it read 1 GB, sometimes 2 GB. Generally a restart used to bring it back to 2 GB. When only 1 GB was available, System information reported "upper slot: EMPTY". So it's not the lower slot, as it was the well-known issue years ago. I swapped the RAM sticks - same behavior.
As the time passed, bringing it back to 2 GB became more and more difficult. At one point it became utterly impossible. I tried another new pair of 1 GB RAM sticks - to no avail. Tried to start it with only one RAM stick - OK for the lower slot, it didn't start with only one stick in the upper slot.
Since it seems that nothing can help now to bring the upper slot back to reason (now it reads as "empty" whatever I do), and as all this arrived gradually in time, I wonder if an old PRAM battery may cause an improper reading of memory in the upper slot? What do you think?
Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
An old or failing PRAM battery will not cause such a problem. Some Powerbooks have a known defect where one of the memory slots stops working. Your Powerbook may be one of them.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
An old or failing PRAM battery will not cause such a problem. Some Powerbooks have a known defect where one of the memory slots stops working. Your Powerbook may be one of them.
Thank you for the reply. Still, all searches I've done as of today showed the "lower slot" as having been the PB G4 *classical* slot memory problem. But my PB may be one of the "upper slot: EMPTY" rare cases, you're right.
Thanks again.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm not overly familiar with the ram slot problem. You may want to wait for someone who's more familiar with it to give you their opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.