Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halvard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I'm thinking about buying a new MacBook Pro, and was wondering if there are any new ones coming out soon, so maybe I should wait?
Any rumors?

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
See the giant thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1559562/

Basically, a refresh with Intel's Haswell CPUs is expected soon, most likely in October when new iPads are also expected to appear. Haswell is essentially a power optimization CPU update which can produce significantly better battery life (see: 2013 Airs) as long as the CPU is not under heavy load. There's also a major iGPU upgrade, but many are concerned that the dGPU will be removed from the 15" as a result (we've seen leaked benchmarks that show a rMBP 15" with no detectable dGPU, though this definitely isn't proof).

The cMBP is generally not expected to be updated, though this is just speculation; It's still possible.

I definitely wouldn't buy a new MBP at retail right now. If you can get a good deal or you're looking at a refurb that might be a different story (though the early 2013 rMBP refurbs should get cheaper as soon as Haswell comes out, so that might be a different reason to wait).

Halvard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
See the giant thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1559562/

Basically, a refresh with Intel's Haswell CPUs is expected soon, most likely in October when new iPads are also expected to appear. Haswell is essentially a power optimization CPU update which can produce significantly better battery life (see: 2013 Airs) as long as the CPU is not under heavy load. There's also a major iGPU upgrade, but many are concerned that the dGPU will be removed from the 15" as a result (we've seen leaked benchmarks that show a rMBP 15" with no detectable dGPU, though this definitely isn't proof).

The cMBP is generally not expected to be updated, though this is just speculation; It's still possible.

I definitely wouldn't buy a new MBP at retail right now. If you can get a good deal or you're looking at a refurb that might be a different story (though the early 2013 rMBP refurbs should get cheaper as soon as Haswell comes out, so that might be a different reason to wait).

I'm mostly gonna use it for browsing the web, and using photoshop/after effects. Maybe gonna play some games like The Sims and World of Warcraft too.
I will buy the 15", but you don't think it'll be worth it? I live in Norway so I don't think they'll come out here until next year. My late 2011 (I think) macbook pro has a broken keyboard and wifi doesn't work. It'll cost over 1600 USD to fix it, so figured I might as well buy a new one.

TL;DR for my use (internet, photoshop/after effects and games like sims and wow), should I wait or just buy it now?

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
I'm mostly gonna use it for browsing the web, and using photoshop/after effects. Maybe gonna play some games like The Sims and World of Warcraft too.
I will buy the 15", but you don't think it'll be worth it? I live in Norway so I don't think they'll come out here until next year. My late 2011 (I think) macbook pro has a broken keyboard and wifi doesn't work. It'll cost over 1600 USD to fix it, so figured I might as well buy a new one.

TL;DR for my use (internet, photoshop/after effects and games like sims and wow), should I wait or just buy it now?

I should clarify that I kind of assumed retina MBP just because that's what we're usually all talking about here. If you're looking at the cMBP (with the optical drive) just go ahead now, because there likely isn't an upgrade coming up.

If we are talking about the rMBP... I guess your situation's different than what I assumed. If there's going to be several months of release delay the imminent upgrade point is less relevant. And if you're interested in gaming it's possible the current model will perform better there than the new version (if the rMBP really does drop the dGPU this time).

I'd definitely try to find a refurbished model if possible, but I know refurb stocks are probably light to nonexistent in a lot of regions.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I guess this Tuesday according to the rumours. According to the rumours the Haswell rMBP is expected in September and this is the last Tuesday of September :p

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Props to Atomic Walrus for for taking the time to answer the post in a decent fashion rather then the obvious and tempting snarky alternative.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Last year's event, where they unveiled the 13" rMBP, iPad with Retina Display (4th Gen) and iPad Mini was on October 23rd. Expect a similar date this year for both 13 & 15" models.

The MacBook Air, as you probably know, has already been updated to Haswell this year at WWDC (June 10th.)

mazzy89

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
I guess this Tuesday according to the rumours. According to the rumours the Haswell rMBP is expected in September and this is the last Tuesday of September :p

The rumors we heard are completely wrong or more exactly they referred to production of Haswell MBP. We won't see any new MBPs in September. Haswell MBPs won't receive a silent update. They will all unveiled during the next Keynote in October with new iPads as well. I'm pretty sure of what I'm saying. Anyway only the time says the truth.

Last edited:

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

What rumors? The only one worth a sniff was the Oct. 15 event rumor. Nothing's happening this Tuesday.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
I just hope the new MacBook Pros really come mid-October, which I believe they will. My current MBP gave out on me and I already had it repaired once, so there is no point in pouring anymore money into this.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Yes. It's already late. Apple has been a been sloppy in 2013- they release buggy Airs (software-wise) which had faulty wifi and obvious photoshop flickering (how did it pass beta testing?), and their AC speeds were terrible and only fixed in 10.8.5....

My haswell air still goes to sleep automatically at times.

And even 10.8.5 has many negative-effects- drives going to sleep, and ofcourse discontinued support for 32bit video chat software.

Even the iOS 7 has a proven security defect that allows you to bypass the lock screen.

Seriously, wtf is going on?

No official announcement yet from Apple regarding Haswell Pros. Must be a lot of bugs behind the scene.

Seriously, they spent too much time selecting the colors on the iphone 5c.

I'm not hating or anything. I bought my first Apple product 10 years ago.

The quality is going backwards imo.

Apple has a lot of catching up to do this year- Haswell Pros, new Apple Tv, new Apple Display, don't forget the new Mac Pros are supposed to be released too.

And of course, Mavericks- which is still really buggy at beta stage.

Hope Apple makes it.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
15 October is for sure, since the source inside apple prove to be right for iphone 10th Sept event, so since is the same source we will see new iPads, iMacs,macbook pro, mac pro,mac mini and Maveriks on 15th Tue October

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
15 October is for sure, since the source inside apple prove to be right for iphone 10th Sept event, so since is the same source we will see new iPads, iMacs,macbook pro, mac pro,mac mini and Maveriks on 15th Tue October

Same source?

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Please allow me to add to my list of problematic releases by Apple in 2013- Apple TV 6.0 software update has just been pulled by Apple today for bricking a lot of devices.

Seriously, what's going on at Apple?

PoppaKap

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010

How about Thunderbolt Displays?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.