Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
theslaz
macrumors 6502

ATV 1 and XBMC frodo

Just finished jailbreaking to ATV 2ís and was successful in installing XBMC Frodo. Have a older ATV 1; and was curious wether XBMC frodo can be installed on it. I have Eden (ver 11 ) on it; but it just seems that I canít get it to upgrade to Frodo. Is this even possible? And if it is; could someone point me in the right direction?
The ATV is Ver 3.0.1

Thanks
theslaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

I am running XBMC (linux) Frodo 12.2 on three atv 1s. Works great.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me how you did this; or point me in the right direction?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

yeah, I can but am running out the door. I used the AtvCloner app with the correct drive images which I can't post yet til I get back.

Alternatively there is Crystalbuntu. Will post back in a couple hrs.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Well I tried both. Had partial success with both. ATV cloner gave me XBMC; but did not give me Frodo. Gave me Eden again!

Tried Crystalbuntu; it worked; gave me Frodo; but I have to boot my ATV from the usb stick in order to get it. I was assuming that it would be embedded in the ATV interface.

Is there something that Iím doing wrong?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslaz View Post
Well I tried both. Had partial success with both. ATV cloner gave me XBMC; but did not give me Frodo. Gave me Eden again!
Thats because I never posted a xbmc linux frodo image. I have one and will try to get it posted tonight.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 05:47 AM   #7
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Well; I tried loading a Frodo image with the Atv-usb creator. It loaded; but, when I tried to open Xbmc in ATV; an error message came up stating that it was unable to load the image. Obvisiouly the wrong Frodo image for the ATV. Will continue searching!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 07:56 AM   #8
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Okay. Iíll wait for you. Tired of searching!!

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:05 AM   #9
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Okay. Iíll wait for you. Tired of searching!!

Thanks
Hang on, the one I have spun up is Frodo 12.1 but I can image 12.2 yet today. Will get back to you on it.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:23 AM   #10
wiredup72
macrumors member

I don't want to thread derail, but does running frodo and xbmc on the atv1 use less power than the factory setup?
This thread made me dig mine out of my closet, but then I remembered how much idle power suck this unit used compared to my ATV2.
wiredup72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:43 AM   #11
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredup72 View Post
does running frodo and xbmc on the atv1 use less power than the factory setup?
As far as I know power consumption is about the same, that said its possible at idle its a bit less, since the linux os uses very little cpu compared to the stock atv os x based setup.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:49 AM   #12
wiredup72
macrumors member

Thanks.
I figured the linux should be able to idle slightly lower, I was just wondering if anyone had experience. I should try it anyway and measure the current draw.
wiredup72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:46 PM   #13
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Still looking for the proper image to load Frodo. Seems everything I try gives me Eden.

help!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:08 AM   #14
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Sorry, real life intervened, I have to 0 out my free space and dd the image and get it up to my dropbox. probably be wednesday before I can do it. Its running Frodo 12.2 and its used daily. No issues.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:12 PM   #15
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Until then you can try Sam Nazarkos Crystalbuntu 2.0 which appears to have Frodo on it if you haven't already tried.

http://www.crystalbuntu.com
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:04 PM   #16
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Until then you can try Sam Nazarkos Crystalbuntu 2.0 which appears to have Frodo on it if you haven't already tried.

http://www.crystalbuntu.com
That was one of the first images that I tried. Its been awhile since I tried it; but I think that I had to always boot of the usb stick if I wanted to use Xbmc. Not what I was wanting!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:48 PM   #17
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

*shrug* well, ... I will get my image made up in the next day or two. Will post here.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
*shrug* well, ... I will get my image made up in the next day or two. Will post here.
Thanx. Would be muchly appreciated!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:57 AM   #19
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

It appears I do have a Frodo 12.1 image made up already. Sorry.

Its here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...o_beta2.img.gz

I will be imaging up my Frodo 12.2 install as well but if you want to get going on that one feel free. I can tell you how to update it to 12.2 via ssh (my linux installs have an entire xbmc build environment on them).

If you don't have it you will need my AtvCloner recovery.img so it boots right to the hard drive. Looks like you do though as you have used my Eden image successfully.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #20
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It appears I do have a Frodo 12.1 image made up already. Sorry.

Its here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...o_beta2.img.gz

I will be imaging up my Frodo 12.2 install as well but if you want to get going on that one feel free. I can tell you how to update it to 12.2 via ssh (my linux installs have an entire xbmc build environment on them).

If you don't have it you will need my AtvCloner recovery.img so it boots right to the hard drive. Looks like you do though as you have used my Eden image successfully.
Thank you. In reading the instructions; it says that a second Hd should be used. I donít have a extra 2 1/2 inch HD lying around; so Iíll have to purchase one. Once I do that; Iíll try your image and let you know.

Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:00 AM   #21
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thank you. In reading the instructions; it says that a second Hd should be used. I donít have a extra 2 1/2 inch HD lying around; so Iíll have to purchase one. Once I do that; Iíll try your image and let you know.

Thanks
Er, what instructions ? You can just use your existing stock 40 or 160 GB drive. Where are you getting these "instructions" ?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:34 PM   #22
theslaz
macrumors 6502

I looked for instructions on how to load the image and I found this site: iclarified.com. This is what it had to say right at the beginning "You will also need a usb harddrive enclosure to attach the original and new 2.5 IDE drive to your computerĒ. In searching for a new Hd; I found that they are not that easy to be had; and a bit expensive. Than I thought; why not just over right the old one and use it. However; I didnít want to do that until I heard back from you. Now I know, and that is what I will do.

Thanks
Iíll let you know how it goes.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:55 PM   #23
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I looked for instructions on how to load the image and I found this site: iclarified.com. This is what it had to say right at the beginning "You will also need a usb harddrive enclosure to attach the original and new 2.5 IDE drive to your computer”. In searching for a new Hd; I found that they are not that easy to be had; and a bit expensive. Than I thought; why not just over right the old one and use it. However; I didn’t want to do that until I heard back from you. Now I know, and that is what I will do.

Thanks
I’ll let you know how it goes.
Yes, just use your original drive. remember its going to want a stock efi.img, my recovery and linux image. If you need my recovery image here is a link to it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...covery.dmg.zip

User your stock efi. You use my recovery image as its how the atv natively boots into the linux partition.

Note: you do not use a boot.img like you do for the stock setup.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:43 PM   #24
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes, just use your original drive. remember its going to want a stock efi.img, my recovery and linux image. If you need my recovery image here is a link to it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...covery.dmg.zip

User your stock efi. You use my recovery image as its how the atv natively boots into the linux partition.

Note: you do not use a boot.img like you do for the stock setup.
All ready to go; just not to sure on the ďstock.efiĒ. I created a ďboot.efiĒ from the ATV 1. Is this file the same as the stock.efi that you refer to. Donít want to screw anything up!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:30 PM   #25
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
yeah, I can but am running out the door. I used the AtvCloner app with the correct drive images which I can't post yet til I get back.

Alternatively there is Crystalbuntu. Will post back in a couple hrs.
Finally clued into what Iím supposed to be doing here. However; it seems that I canít get AtvCloner to save my boot image. Therefore i canít load it into AtvCloner with your recovery image and Xbmc image. Iíve tried about six times; it shows that it is working and says that it has completed; but the image files are no were to be found!
Any ideas?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater