Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
eeperman
macrumors newbie

Homeworld or similar game

I have many fond memories of playing Homeworld on my PC and I was wondering if there are any similar games (i.e space fleet action with little base building) available to run natively on my Macbook Air 2013. I gather that Homeworld 2 will not work on Intel Macs and, in any case, I do not have a disk drive to load the game. I have played with Gratuitous Space Battles, but found it a little too in depth.

Any Mac-native suggestions welcomed as I do not have the space for a Bootcamp partition.

Many thanks.
eeperman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

It's not Mac native, but Sins of a Solar Empire is probably your best bet. You can run it in WINE or Crossover. There's also Endless Space, but it's a 4X strategy game, not an RTS, and the combat is very limited in scope.

Good news is that the Homeworld devs have been picked up by Gearbox to make a new Homeworld, and all Gearbox titles have made it to the Mac. Gearbox is also making HD Re-releases of the originals, so they might get new Mac ports.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
eeperman
macrumors newbie

Thanks Cougarcat,

I played SoaSE on my PC many years ago and I very much enjoyed it. I own a digital copy - is it possible to download that and run it through Crossover?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeperman View Post
Thanks Cougarcat,

I played SoaSE on my PC many years ago and I very much enjoyed it. I own a digital copy - is it possible to download that and run it through Crossover?
Haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it. It has a gold rating on their database.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
eeperman
macrumors newbie

Hi Cougarcat,

Thanks for the tip. I bought Crossover for $15 as part of the excellent StackSocial bundle, downloaded the Sins installer and it runs perfectly. I had forgotten what a well designed game it it!

Still, I am looking forward to the HD release of Homeworld next year, lets keep our fingers crossed for a Mac version.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 06:29 AM   #6
luffytubby
macrumors 6502a

I love Homeworld.

I am so stoked for Homeworld 3, and the Homeworld 1 and 2 remakes. Homeworld 2 is one of the best strategy games ever made.

That game, has such a brilliant art design and music. it really becomes its own.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 05:40 PM   #7
eeperman
macrumors newbie

Hi all

Having messed about with Crossover a bit more, I have now managed to install Homeworld 1 and 2. There are a few glitches, but both run pretty well and it is great getting to grips with them again. Crossover may be the best fifteen bucks that I ever spent!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games