Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Kaizen
macrumors member

Macbook Air 11" and AUO screen

I recently bought a 11" Macbook Air and it seems like I really lost the screen lottery: not only did I not get a Samsung, I didn't even get an LG! I ended up with AUO screen, which seems very washed out and dull looking, even at the higher brightness settings.

Any others have this screen, and can you recommend a good color profile (or is this screen beyond being saved by a different profile)?

Unfortunately I bought the computer through my university so I can't just exchange it in the hopes of getting a better screen.
Kaizen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:06 PM   #2
The Man
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
I recently bought a 11" Macbook Air and it seems like I really lost the screen lottery: not only did I not get a Samsung, I didn't even get an LG! I ended up with AUO screen, which seems very washed out and dull looking, even at the higher brightness settings.

Any others have this screen, and can you recommend a good color profile (or is this screen beyond being saved by a different profile)?

Unfortunately I bought the computer through my university so I can't just exchange it in the hopes of getting a better screen.
I have that screen. To me it looks fine, except for the vertical viewing angle. Someone on another thread had a couple of profiles made with a Spyder; gives it a bit more contrast. At least I have no bad pixels and pretty even lighting. Hinge is good. No damage to casing. I'm happy.
The Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Miltz
macrumors regular

Go into preferences and enhance the screen contrast. This should help a lot.
Miltz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 04:25 PM   #4
de.user
macrumors newbie

I think the screen question is overrated. Just look for MBA 11 tests. The screen has 60% sRGB coverage (no matter if Samsung, LG, AUO). It is TN. It is okay, but not the best. The display on the 15 inch MBP is better (99% sRGB coverage).
But my professional external screen has full sRGB coverage and 107% AdobeRGB coverage. That display plays in another league.

I have a AUO display in my MBA 11" 2013, too. Just a few days ago I ran the calibration with X-Rite Colormunki spectrophotometer and Argyll CMS. You will find my profile here:

MBA Argyll native 2013-09-15 2.2 MQ-HQ 3xCurve+MTX.icc.zip

The calibration was set to use native white point from screen and the brightness of the screen was -5 (five bars less from full brightness).

The profile works very well and improves the color rendering from the screen a lot. Please give me a short reply if it looks good for you, too.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 06:47 PM   #5
xanotos75
macrumors newbie

Cool!! thanks a million! I also got a AUO screen on my 11".
Does look a little washed out. Can't wait to try out your profile.

Thanks again
xanotos75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Kaizen
macrumors member

Thanks for sharing your profile. I won't be able to test it out though - my screen was so terrible I ended up returning the computer. I'm just going to wait for the MacBook Pro retina refresh.
Kaizen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7
sheheryou
macrumors newbie

good,Go into preferences and enhance the screen contrast. This should help a lot.
sheheryou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:07 PM   #8
yukisan
macrumors newbie

good profile

thanks.

Last edited by yukisan; Sep 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
yukisan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
yukisan
macrumors newbie

Thanks good profile, but it's still yellowish.

Hi. de.user and everyone.

thank you good profile, de.user.

It's much better than the default profile. But I feel it is a yellowish color still.
Could you adjust to a little more bluish and white?

I also use MacBook air of LG and SAMSUNG. And I'm using "Color LCD-12.icc" for MBA of LG. It's really great color and contrast with LG display.
The profile makes LG display almost the same color as SAMSUNG display.
In this profile, dirty yellow disappeared.

And, I also tried another profile before, it is also better than default. However, it is difficult to see dark, and bit yellowish still.
AUO_Profile_1.icc.zip

I check this site for display ability.
The Lagom LCD monitor test pages. (White saturation) (Black level)

Thanks.
yukisan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air