Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiinx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
I was wondering whether to already update my iPad to iOS7 or wait for an inevitable update once the new iPads are released. So, I was looking for new features that iOS7 brings to the table that I really wanted to have - besides the new look, obviously.
What I found were a lot of comments on what no longer works or no longer works as well as before, but almost none on what cool features were added - be them small or big.
By now, I have updated out of curiosity and wanted to start this thread to help other people decide whether an update at this point in time is worthwhile.

---------
That said, some background information: I own an iPad Mini. Everything seems to run smooth after the upgrade besides the 5-finger pinch to home screen. Now to the new features I come to like:

- Notification Center (finally, there is some integrated weather forcast on iPad, even if only for today)
- Control Center (though I wished it was a bit bigger and used the same transparency effect / color as the notification center; same goes for the app tray)
- closing of apps (swiping -up to three apps at once- is easier than hitting the small x button; so I assume if you want to close lots of apps, this could get tiresome)
- sorting of photos (easier to find certain events than before)

This is all I found as of now, but I have yet to go through all apps.
---------

So, what other new features (besides the looks) do you find so good that you would upgrade now to get them?

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Airdrop

AirDrop is the feature that pushes me to update my iPad asap. It is a very handy feature that makes file-sharing hassle free 0.o

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
For me it's the Control Center. I play videos in Safari (on my mini) and send them via AirPlay to my ATV, and to get to AirPlay you have to double-click, then slide the icons at the bottom over at least twice before you can click on the AirPlay button, but with iOS7 you swipe up from the bottom and there is the AirPlay bottom, almost as good as being in the App itself. Really very convenient, and that's only one of the controls in Control Center.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
How is battery life on the ipad 4 affected by iOS 7? I really like iOS 7 and want to go ahead and update, but iOS 7 has killed my iPhone 4S battery (drains to 50% after only an hour or two of moderate use) and I rely on my ipad for its fantastic battery life. I'm afraid to update.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Having updated my boss's mini and iPad 2 with iOS7 I was disappointing to find out a few features are missing from the iPhone version of iOS7 such as the 3D Tabs effect in Safari and the calculator in the Control Center.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
I would say the biggest pluses that I've seen for the iPad, specifically, are the Control Center (for quick access to turning on and off the wireless options) and the new "Window" menu that you get when double-tapping the Home Button. I think it's a lot easier to navigate and looks much more professional.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Having updated my boss's mini and iPad 2 with iOS7 I was disappointing to find out a few features are missing from the iPhone version of iOS7 such as the 3D Tabs effect in Safari and the calculator in the Control Center.

iPads never had a calculator built in..

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
I would say the biggest pluses that I've seen for the iPad, specifically, are the Control Center (for quick access to turning on and off the wireless options) and the new "Window" menu that you get when double-tapping the Home Button. I think it's a lot easier to navigate and looks much more professional.
So, nothing much that my jailbroken one running ios 5 doesn't have ;) (ipad 1 so stuck on 5)

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I was wondering whether to already update my iPad to iOS7 or wait for an inevitable update once the new iPads are released. So, I was looking for new features that iOS7 brings to the table that I really wanted to have - besides the new look, obviously.
What I found were a lot of comments on what no longer works or no longer works as well as before, but almost none on what cool features were added - be them small or big.
By now, I have updated out of curiosity and wanted to start this thread to help other people decide whether an update at this point in time is worthwhile.

---------
That said, some background information: I own an iPad Mini. Everything seems to run smooth after the upgrade besides the 5-finger pinch to home screen. Now to the new features I come to like:

- Notification Center (finally, there is some integrated weather forcast on iPad, even if only for today)
- Control Center (though I wished it was a bit bigger and used the same transparency effect / color as the notification center; same goes for the app tray)
- closing of apps (swiping -up to three apps at once- is easier than hitting the small x button; so I assume if you want to close lots of apps, this could get tiresome)
- sorting of photos (easier to find certain events than before)

This is all I found as of now, but I have yet to go through all apps.
---------

So, what other new features (besides the looks) do you find so good that you would upgrade now to get them?

I actually like the parallax and new look. It refreshes the way the device looks and operates. Its running well on my iPad 2. Other than that, I agree with your list. Those items are the key features/upgrades that make the most difference. Safari is a better overall experience for me too.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I imagine that Keychain will be along in a minor update (perhaps at the time of Mavericks, according to some speculators). That will be a great feature.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I upgraded to iOS 7 because I truly felt the previous OS was downright boring.

Do not get me wrong, it worked well and I was always happy to go about my routine on my Mini but I really like the new features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.