Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamleh80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Dear all,

I own an unlocked iphone 5, purchased in the UK. I have used it in Italy (using vodaphone) and in the UK (using O2). Each time I would just witch sim and access the 3g without problems.

After moving to the UAE (using Etisalat) I was unable to access the 3G because of APN issues: I could not change the apn with the etisalat sim.

I solved this problem using this solution found on apple communities below:

"1) Use other sim card, where operator allows to edit APN settings.

2) Navigate to Settings - General - Mobile data - Mobile data network- Here you can edit APN, MMS, etc...

3) At this point do not navigate out of this menu and eject the alternative sim.

4) Insert your sim card.

5) Edit all settings you need."

HOWEVER, after updating to IOS7 (yesterday) my APN settings changed again. I tried to do the above, however every time I do step 3, the APN swicthes back to the default which for some reasons seems to be the vodafone APN. Before upgrading, when ejecting the sim, the APN page would remain there and I could insert the etisalat sim, thus saving the etisalat APN settings I manually insterted.

What I have tried:

1) Erasing all the APN setting and do the above again but it does not work (it goes back to vodafone)

2) Using the Phone Configuration Utility but once I install the iphone says: "only one apn configuration can be installed at a time"

3) Using unlockit.co.nz: but I get the same message as above "only one apn configuration can be installed at a time"

How can I access the APN to change it and above all prevent it from reverting to the wrong APN?

Could you please help? Many thanks and greetings from Abu Dhabi!
iPhone 5

kamleh80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Thank you for your reply. I have tried this and I bump into another problem as I get this message: "only one apn configuration can be installed at a time"

#hopeless

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
This might be due to a issue with the phone being locked before, I suggest manually backing up all ur photos and what not, then restoring the phone clean via iTunes and setting up as a new phone and whilst the new SIM card is in the phone while it is activating it might I repeat might solve the APN issue, that's what I would try anyways if I had that issue.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
At step three you should double tap your home button to go to your multitasker and switch to another app. Then you should eject the alternative SIM, replace it with the SIM which APN settings you want to edit, then double tap again and return back to the settings app. You should still be in the APN section within. From here, edit your settings and when they're where you want them to be press the 'back-a-section' tab in the upper left hand corner of the edit APN section. It will save the settings. Wait 10 seconds. You're gold.

kamleh80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
@jdaniel: I was ready to do that as the last resource. Btw my iphone is from apple hence I thought to describe it as unlocked. So I did not hack it. Not sure why I have so many issues I uae and never in UK or Italy. But thank you a much for your time!

@okwhatev: you are my star! It worked, it worked! Not sure how to thank you enough. If you ever come to uae drop me a line so I can thank you with dinner. THANK YOU!!

Raj1975

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Help

thank you all for this valuable help put on over the internet, it helped me too.

Last edited:

siyer66

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
thank you all for this valuable help put on over the internet, it helped me too.

hi raj1975, i am using this forum for the first time...but i have a similar problem..i am in uae...could you help

thanks

Last edited:

kamleh80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
And the saga continues: Etisalat APN

Dear all,
I have upgraded my IOS again and the old problem is back: you are not subscribed to a cellular data service.
I have done all the steps above, except that when I am in the APS setting page and I press "return" to go to the password etc, the APN changes back. Even when it does not, and I manage to go one page back, internet is not working.

Any suggestions? Every IOS upgrade is a pain

Thank you all

kamleh80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Clarification

Dear all, I re-read my thread and it is a bit obscure. So, below is what I have been doing so far (my problem is that I cannot connect to the internet using 3G after I upgrade the IOS). This is a recurring problem at every upgrade. So, I:
1) Used another sim card, where operator allows to edit APN settings (because my Etisalat sim does not give me this option).

2) Navigate to Settings - General - Mobile data - Mobile data network- to APN, MMS, etc...

3) Double tap home button to go to multitasker and switch to another app.

4) Eject the alternative SIM, replace it with the SIM which APN settings I want to edit, then double tap again and return back to the settings app. I am still in the APN section within.

5) Edit settings as needed and press the 'back-a-section' tab in the upper left hand corner of the edit APN section. It will save the settings. Wait 10 seconds (last time these 5 steps did the trick!).

Now, at step 5 I encounter one of two problems:
a) After I edit the settings and I am still in the APN section, the APN switches back to the wrong APN (please note my phone was/is unlocked)

b) Even when I succeed to complete step 5 (I have the correct APN and press the 'back-a-section' tab in the upper left hand corner of the edit APN section) and I wait 10 seconds, the same error of not data package persists. In fact when I repeat the 5 steps above, the APN I find (sometimes) at step 2 is the right one.

I am completely lost this time. I talked with my provider and my subscription is running ok
Thank you for any help!

Last edited:

detonin

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
I've exactly the same problem as the one described by kamleh80 in #10.

If anyone has any clue on how to fix this, I would be extremely grateful !

In particular, maybe is there a way to overwrite default apn settings ?
Or maybe a way to force a configuration profile to overwrite current apn settings ? (to avoid the "only one apn config..." error)

Any info welcome !

kamleh80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Switched

Dear Detoning I switched to DU (the other provider) and problem solved. You can keep your number when switching

best
K

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.