Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you disable the parallax?

• Yeah

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 88 47.8%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 14 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi everyone,

I'm just nosy, but how many of you decided to "Reduce Motion" and turn of the parallax in iOS 7?

Either because it caused heat, used battery, or just distracted you...etc.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yep. Seems a bit gimmicky to me and a potential source of battery drain. It looks neat and all, but I don't see it as useful.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I turned it off cause I can hardly notice it. I've also heard it doesn't use extra battery because the gyroscope are always on anyway.

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
Turned off.

Can't even notice it when it's on, and I'm kind worry about the battery drain; although it seems that the time you spend on home screen and lock screen is rather minimal, I just like a static motionless screen.

ali.mofadal

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Malaysia
Turned off.

Can't even notice it when it's on, and I'm kind worry about the battery drain; although it seems that the time you spend on home screen and lock screen is rather minimal, I just like a static motionless screen.

Same here, I can't see the difference when it's on and off so I just turned it off, my phone is already two years old and I don't want it to die faster.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah it's a potentially battery-draining gimmick that only distracts me. Sad to think how much time some poor Apple developers spent trying to get it up to snuff.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
You can't turn it "off" you can only choose to see the effect or not, but the work is done by the system to compute the parallax effect regardless.

I was told this by an iOS Developer who said that the parallax is always computed in the background, and it explains why wallpapers take so long to apply even on newer devices, as the parallax is being computed and applied to your image so that if you choose to "Reduce Motion" it can be reenabled at will with no delay.

So, that's why I leave it on. The device is already doing the work for parallax, you can only choose to see the effect or not and instantly enable/disable it, but in the end if the device has done the work and is using resources regardless, I may as well keep it enabled.

If you could truly turn it "off" there would be a substantial delay in turning it on/off ... you are merely choosing to see or not to see what the device has already pre-computed.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I was surprised how subtle it was actually so I turned it off because i didn't feel it really added anything.

The slight lag between moving and the parallax effect ruined the effect a bit too. I assume the 5s doesn't suffer from that with its motion processor.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I was surprised how subtle it was actually so I turned it off because i didn't feel it really added anything.

The slight lag between moving and the parallax effect ruined the effect a bit too. I assume the 5s doesn't suffer from that with its motion processor.

No lag on my iPad 4 or iPhone 4s.

I tilt the device, it responds instantly and I see behind the icons.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
No vote from me because i can't even work out what your talking about, tried it on and off and can't see any difference, but then again i am not sure what i am looking for, does this not effect the 4S or something.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
No vote from me because i can't even work out what your talking about, tried it on and off and can't see any difference, but then again i am not sure what i am looking for, does this not effect the 4S or something.

Set the space wallpaper (default) and enable motion. Tilt the device from left to right and up/down and focus on some of the stars between icons. You will be able to see "behind" the icons and notice details that were obscured before you titled the device.

And yes it works on 4s.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Right now I keep it; it's new, it's a bit fancy and a good git to the airplane I use as background. Might switch off later in some weeks.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Set the space wallpaper (default) and enable motion. Tilt the device from left to right and up/down and focus on some of the stars between icons. You will be able to see "behind" the icons and notice details that were obscured before you titled the device.

And yes it works on 4s.

When you say space wallpaper do you mean one of the dynamic ones with the circles on, if so i have tried that and still cant see any difference, everything just looks normal too me.

valypan

macrumors regular
May 21, 2002
Denmark
NEVER! I love it so it´s definitely always on :) I love seeing the icons float over the background and it always surprises me when I lay the phone down or tilt it :)

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
When you say space wallpaper do you mean one of the dynamic ones with the circles on, if so i have tried that and still cant see any difference, everything just looks normal too me.

No, the space one is the ... space one, the default wallpaper. A blueish nebula.

The circles is dynamic and also responds. Turn your device on its side (hold it in landscape mode) and watch the circles drift to the bottom of screen (remember you're in landscape mode). Tilt the device around and the circles will drift from the (now) top to the (now) bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.