Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 5 Touch Screen Twice as Fast as Android Touch Screen

The iPhone's touch screen has a much faster response time than its Android and Windows counterparts, according to a new set of TouchMark benchmarks from cloud streaming company Agawi.

Using a 240fps high frame rate camera along with a custom-built device called a Touchscope, Agawi measured the App Response Time (ART) of several different smartphones. The ART is the latency experienced between the time a user touches the device display to the device's on-screen response.

Apple's iPhone demonstrated a minimum app response time (MART) of 55 milliseconds, a much better performance than the Galaxy S4, which had a MART of 114ms. The Lumia 928 had a similar high MART time of 117ms, and the iPhone 5's closest competitor was the iPhone 4, with a MART of 85. The HTC One and the Moto X had the highest MART times, coming in at 121 and 123ms, respectively.

Relan, Agawi CEO, spoke to Venturebeat about the company's benchmarks.
Quote:
"App responsiveness is judged by how quickly the app can respond to your inputs," said Rohan Relan, cofounder and CEO of Agawi. "Smartphones with touchscreens that have lower MART scores feel snappier. This is probably why, to many users, the iPhone keyboard feels more responsive than an Android phone keyboard."
Microsoft has published a video that demonstrates how the differences between various touch screen response times translate into real world device experiences. As seen in the video, there is a noticeable difference between a 100ms latency time and a 50ms latency time.

Agawi speculates that Apple's touch screen hardware is better calibrated for capturing and processing touch than the Android and Windows devices that it was compared to. The company does note, however, that more comprehensive testing is required, and that coding differences may have slightly altered the results.

In the future, Agawi plans to develop additional TouchMark tests, releasing both the hardware and software behind the benchmarks so that its results can be replicated. The company also plans to test additional Apple devices, including the newly released iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Touch Screen Twice as Fast as Android Touch Screen
MacRumors is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Chuck-Norris
Banned

wow, thought all capacitive touch screens were essentially the same. i guess apple does have an edge
Chuck-Norris is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Col Ronson
macrumors 6502a

im not surprised. might be bias, but everytime i use an android phone, it feels clunky and slow.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

So we talking about iPhone spec now, hmm, atleast in one area it beats Android.
akbarali.ch is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Who cares about screen speed? I've got a hex-core 6.5GHz ARM Z4-X345 with 64 petabytes of RAM, AND an SD card and removable battery.

Sure, my phone still lags now and then -- when doing CPU-intensive tasks such as going back to the lock screen -- BUT SPECS MEAN EVERYTHING! (except for if the specs are in Apple's favour, such as here)
keysofanxiety is online now   84 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Gherkin
macrumors 6502

this is very interesting. I wonder if the 5S has improved things even more?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #7
needfx
macrumors 68030

ios7 keyboard on iphone 4 feels less responsive though and a bit laggy

Last edited by needfx; Sep 21, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
needfx is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #8
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
I have the new Nexus 7 tablet, it definitely does not feel nearly as responsive as my iPhone. I don't care what android apologists say, android is definitely clunkier and not as polished and responsive as iOS.

Last edited by likemyorbs; Sep 21, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
likemyorbs is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

I really had no idea that there were any differences between touch screens. This is fascinating.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Derekeys
macrumors member

Nice!

Last edited by Derekeys; Sep 21, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Derekeys is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:28 PM   #11
YeahBuddy
macrumors regular

The iPhone's keyboard is so responsive, I don't understand why people desire a 3rd party keyboard so badly.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:28 PM   #12
gaximus
macrumors regular

This is probably why, when I play with android devices at the store the home screen never feels as smooth as my iPhone.
gaximus is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:29 PM   #13
baryon
macrumors 68030

I'm glad someone actually did a test on this. I sometimes feel like most people just don't care about or even notice lag. For me, it simply drives me crazy. If a mouse pointer, brush, or UI element lags, it really pisses me off and it makes everything feel annoying and slow. Your brain tries to evaluate your movements in real-time, and adjust your hand accordingly. If there's lag, you cannot adjust your movement as accurately.

Apple does a great job at reducing such lag and it makes their products feel far more responsive, even if the actual processing time for tasks is the same. Take for example scrolling on a Mac trackpad vs. scrolling on a Windows trackpad. The former feels like you're actually moving the content with your fingers, while the latter feels like you're constantly being punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

These things mean nothing to someone who simply isn't sensitive to it, which is why lots of people don't mind having laggy devices, and they will tell you that they don't notice any lag, while you can clearly tell the difference.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:31 PM   #14
firewood
macrumors 603

The trick is that iOS runs the driver that checks the touch sensor, and the driver for the graphics rendering pipeline that displays the result of the touch, both at a higher priority and/or more often than does the Android OS kernel.

There's not too much the touchscreen vendor and the app developer can do if the OS thinks it should be busy doing other stuff.
firewood is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #15
CEmajr
macrumors 68040

Makes sense. Every Android I've used the screen doesn't respond quite as fast as the iPhone. Even older models like the 4/4S seemed to always respond faster than the latest flagship Androids (HTC One, S4, etc.)
CEmajr is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #16
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

can they test my pos garmin gps' touchscreen

i want to laugh
d4rkc4sm is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #17
Some guy
macrumors member

I always thought the delay when trying to paint on an iPad was really annoying.
Some guy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #18
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Most I've asked are saying the same. My old iPhone 3GS is more responsive and smoother to scroll with than many much more recent Android phones, no contest. Apple may be able to take shortcuts here though, since they can optimize their software directly for specific hardware down to the displays themselves, unlike Google who can't make assumptions about which display some Android phone will use.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #19
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

This is a pretty significant difference. Android has improved in the last few years though. I wonder what this study would have looked like three years ago
ValSalva is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #20
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
I have the new Nexus 7 tablet, it definitely does not feel nearly as responsive as my iPhone. I don't care what android apologists says, android is definitely clunkier and not as polished and responsive as iOS.
100% true. I have the new Nexus 7, and the difference in responsiveness of the screen between it and my iPhone 5 (and now 5s) is not even in the same league.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:39 PM   #21
RabidMacFan
macrumors regular

With that research video from Microsoft, we know that they are very aware of the differences in touch latency. I wonder where the surface would fall on this benchmark and I'm kind of disappointed that it wasn't included.
RabidMacFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:39 PM   #22
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Not surprised at all especially considering the bloat OEM skins add
appleisking is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:40 PM   #23
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Could be because iOS prioritized touch input over other threads so it responds much faster. These days android hardware is fast enough that unless your really fussy the lag time won't bother you much. It's much better then 2yrs ago.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:43 PM   #24
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
100% true. I have the new Nexus 7, and the difference in responsiveness of the screen between it and my iPhone 5 (and now 5s) is not even in the same league.
I know, I can't even fully explain the feeling. Android just makes you feel like you're inconveniencing it when you touch the screen lol.
likemyorbs is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:43 PM   #25
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

This would be more meaningful to me if I used a tablet for drawing or painting all the time.

Although, in that case, I'd pick a tablet with a separate non-capacitive digitizer for its speed, and ability to recognize the fine point of an active pen.

Now, if this affects typing speed, then yes, it would be meaningful to a lot of people.

(The video seems to concentrate on speed of recognizing movement, not of tap recognition speed.)

Last edited by kdarling; Sep 21, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
kdarling is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion