Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Annys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Hello Everyone, well first of all, yes im new, i just signed up, but i've been around macrumors.com for a while now, and i really want to thank you because you have helped a lot, just by reading all the threads and problems i related to at the time, but now i really have searched the entire web and havent found anything that can help me!

so here are my details

Im running in a white Macbook 5,2 (mid o late 2009)
Screenshot2013-09-21at23259PM.png

the thing is that i just started having issues when turning on, i get this gray screen with the apple logo and a loading bar that takes around 10-15 minutes to complete, everytime i turn my computer on, i have to wait that long.

so i decide to run a Disk check and this is what i found

Screenshot2013-09-21at23246PM.png

it says i need to repair the disk with my installation cds but the thing is that my computer came with the Leopard and i bought the family pack for Snow leopard with a few friends a while back now and i really dont know where the cd can be, so if i run the repair from the leopard disk, i will not longer have the app store and wont be able to upgrade to lion, or mountain lion, or mavericks next year, so if i download mountain lion now that i have the appstore, can i run the repair, or do a fresh installation with it?? will it repair the disk, or do i have to go back to leopard and then buy over again snow leopard?

i really apreciate if you have any idea what can i do!
im trying to survive with this computer for my last semester in college and then upgrade!

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Hello Everyone, well first of all, yes im new, i just signed up, but i've been around macrumors.com for a while now, and i really want to thank you because you have helped a lot, just by reading all the threads and problems i related to at the time, but now i really have searched the entire web and havent found anything that can help me!

so here are my details

Im running in a white Macbook 5,2 (mid o late 2009)
the thing is that i just started having issues when turning on, i get this gray screen with the apple logo and a loading bar that takes around 10-15 minutes to complete, everytime i turn my computer on, i have to wait that long.

so i decide to run a Disk check and this is what i found

it says i need to repair the disk with my installation cds but the thing is that my computer came with the Leopard and i bought the family pack for Snow leopard with a few friends a while back now and i really dont know where the cd can be, so if i run the repair from the leopard disk, i will not longer have the app store and wont be able to upgrade to lion, or mountain lion, or mavericks next year, so if i download mountain lion now that i have the appstore, can i run the repair, or do a fresh installation with it?? will it repair the disk, or do i have to go back to leopard and then buy over again snow leopard?

i really apreciate if you have any idea what can i do!
im trying to survive with this computer for my last semester in college and then upgrade!

If it says that the disk needs to be repaired, you can boot from any compatible osx installation disc regardless of the version, open up disk utility from the booted disc via the top menubar, select the volume on the left and run the repair. You are not installing another os, you are keeping your current version, apps and settings, as you're only using the disk utility app from the install disc and not doing anything else. once the repair has successfully completed reboot your mac hold down the option key at boot and select the mac partition, normally labelled as macintosh hd and you'll be able to login again just as before. This process will not affect your ability to upgrade to other versions of osx.

Annys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
thankyou!!

so i did that, i started from the cd's os, but when i opened the disk utility, the repair nor the verify disk option were available, they just were gray and could't click on them. :(

the thing is that i keep getting the loading bar with the apple logo everytime i turn on the macbook, and it loads for about 15minutes, it getting very annoying, so what should i do?? i can always get back to leopard and make a clean start but i dont want to go back because i will loose the app store, should i make a clean star of mountain lion? will that fix that disk error and erase this loading bar?? :O,

i do have some backups before this happened, but the thing is that i accidentally unlinked the hard drive where i had them, and now i just have some backup.db*i think files, i dont know if i can go back with these files?? because now everytime i plug the hard drive in, i can set it as a time machine but it just sets as a new time machine, and i can't see any of the old back ups. so what should i do??

a little backup, i now realized this just started happening when i had some troubles with the magsafe (im on my 3rd one for this computer) *79dlls each!! THANK YOU APPLE.. :mad: soo when i had troubles with the magsafe my computer did turn off unexpectedly a number of times. and since then i started seeing this loading bar at the beginning!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.