Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Hi all. Time for another slim case roundup, updated for the iPhone 5s.

Amazon's free Prime shipping and really easy returns are ideal for ordering lots of cases to try out. I've ordered a few will report back over the next week with my impressions.

If you've found some slim cases you like (preferably with Prime on Amazon) PM me a link and I'll add it to the first post so everybody can see. If you already have the case and want to let others know what you think, PM that with a link and I'll add it to the first post.

Let's get a list going.

-------------------------

Magpul iPhone 5 Field Case, Black
- $11 (prime shipping), one of the best iPhone 5 cases out there.

SPIGEN SGP SGP09504 Ultra Thin Air, Black
- $20 (prime shipping)

RINGKE SLIM Apple iPhone 5 / 5S Case, various colours
- $7 (prime shipping), includes screen protector. Excellent case.

SPIGEN SGP SGP10088 Slim Armor Case for iPhone 5/5S
- $14 (prime shipping)

SPIGEN SGP SGP10365 Slim Armor S Case for iPhone 5/5S, Metal Slate
- $24 (prime shipping), metal case

RINGKE FUSION Apple iPhone 5 / 5S Case Bumper, various colours
- $8 (prime shipping)

SPIGEN SGP SGP10089 Slim Armor Case for iPhone 5/5S, Gunmetal
- $17 (prime shipping)

RINGKE SLIM Apple iPhone 5 / 5S Case, with logo cut out, various colours
- $9 (prime shipping), just like the one above except this has a logo cut out

Maxboost Fusion Slim Protective Snap-on Case for Apple iPhone 5 / iPhone 5S, various colurs
- $15

iPhone 5/5s Barely There Cases, various colours
- $12 (not all have prime available)

Caudabe: The Veil, Wisp Black
- $17 (prime shipping), looks similar to the Desmay Slight

• Frost, $17 (prime shpping)

Power Support Air Jacket, Black
- $40 (prime shipping), suggested by Giuly. Seems expensive.

• Clear, $40 (prime shpping)
  • Smoke, $40 (prime shpping)

Last edited:

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Last edited:

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
This list is missing a lot of cases that are popular in the iPhones Accessories forum. You don't seem too knowledgeable of cases, and it looks like you just searched "iphone 5 slim" on Amazon. Plus, you listed the Slim Armor twice, in addition to listing the Slim Armor S. Why not just list just the S?

This thread was a good idea, but it was poorly executed.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
This list is missing a lot of cases that are popular in the iPhones Accessories forum. You don't seem too knowledgeable of cases, and it looks like you just searched "iphone 5 slim" on Amazon. Plus, you listed the Slim Armor twice, in addition to listing the Slim Armor S. Why not just list just the S?

This thread was a good idea, but it was poorly executed.

I wanted to stick to Amazon since ordering a lot of cases to try out gets WAY too expensive when you have to worry about shipping charges & return problems. Amazon's Prime and easy returns makes the process a whole lot easier.

If you have any cases to suggest, add them here!

Last edited:

emseven

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Desmay Slight 5 may still be the best. Not interested due to Amazon not carrying?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Here's the thing, though: I don't really see how any case fits well with the white and gold theme, except for white or translucent cases.

For full-on protection, I'd rather go with the Case-Mate Naked Tough.
NxMxoGL.png

Or really any slim, transparent case like the Power Support Air Jacket (or Case-Mate Barely There, Spigen Ultra Slim Air and so forth or even something as light as the Spigen Incredible Shield).
31Dd8ypUgaL.jpg

Last edited:

TheSponge

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2013
What's the difference between the Spigen Slim Armor and Slim Armor S case?

They look identical to me..

Are they decent cases?

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
CA
What's the difference between the Spigen Slim Armor and Slim Armor S case?

They look identical to me..

Are they decent cases?

I ordered the Spigen SGP SGP10089 Slim Armor Case in Gunmetal last week, had it ready for the 5s! I really like it, fits nice and tight and looks just like the space grey model too! Very pleased with my purchase!

The 10365 has the "Advanced Shock Absorption Technology: Air Cushioned & Web Pattern" and the 10089 doesn't have that feature

TheSponge

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2013
I ordered the Spigen SGP SGP10089 Slim Armor Case in Gunmetal last week, had it ready for the 5s! I really like it, fits nice and tight and looks just like the space grey model too! Very pleased with my purchase!

The 10365 has the "Advanced Shock Absorption Technology: Air Cushioned & Web Pattern" and the 10089 doesn't have that feature

Ah right on, thanks for clarifying. How is it with a screen protector? Does it make it push it in and cause bubbles?

I am trying to get a case lined up for my 5s space gray..

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Newegg is shady?!? You're joking, right?

I can't tell if you're joking or not?

Very common to have your Newegg account hacked/taken over.

Someone will place an order for gift cards/electronic delivery items with your account, then change the email on file and take over your account.

When you call Newegg, they don't care, and all they do is block your email/credit card on file, so you can never use the card with them again.

They aren't able to grant you access back to your account, so if you need a copy of an invoice in the future, you're SOL.

This is VERY common with Newegg, and they still haven't added email verification to make sure the person changing the email is actually the owner of the account email, and again, they don't care.

Last edited:

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I can't tell if you're joking or not?

Newegg is THE online store for computer components. It's been around for years and has been used by countless people. I personally have bought parts for a dozen pc builds spanning a decade from newegg. It's no more shady than amazon, which is to say not at all.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Newegg is THE online store for computer components. It's been around for years and has been used by countless people. I personally have bought parts for a dozen pc builds spanning a decade from newegg. It's no more shady than amazon, which is to say not at all.

I've been a long time Newegg customer as well, Spent thousands with them over the years.
After having my account compromised, I'll shop else where, due to their attitude.

This happened to me a couple weeks ago.. The funny part is I haven't logged into my Newegg account for a couple months before it happened.. and of course I checked their FB page and I wasn't the only one that it happened to.. again, very common.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Yeah... The Newegg hate doesn't make any sense. They're good to go.

Added a few more to the original post. Keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited:

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
You forgot to add elago slimfit and slimfit 2. They are top quality cases.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Meritline and other sites also have free shipping.

FYI, I'd avoid a metal case. I don't know if you saw the specs that apple recommends for the case, but they recommend against metal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.