Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
This has been known for a long time.

I have 3 lightning cables, 1 official, 2 unofficial, and all 3 work just fine for charging and syncing, the only difference is the unofficial ones cause a notification to pop up saying it's not an official cable

Seems the only reason this thread was made was to troll. Really? Apple validated your decision to leave by doing this? Seems a pretty petty thing to complain about

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
He'll be back, cause Android sucks.

Purely a matter of opinion. My wife has had the Droid Mini for a few weeks now (same size as 5s, larger screen btw) and she's very happy. As I've been the one to set most of it up for her, I can say I don't see how anyone could say "Android sucks" unless they've never used Android and are just clinging to their conviction that iOS is the best ever and has to be the best because they bought it.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I remember when monoprice use to sell the 30 pins for maybe what $3? I had tons of them. I'd never purchase another fake cable.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
I think this is a good move. Too many horror stories over the last year with unauthorized cables. I don't blame Apple for wanting to disassociate themselves from crappy manufacturers making terrible products that can potentially harm their customers.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Purely a matter of opinion. My wife has had the Droid Mini for a few weeks now (same size as 5s, larger screen btw) and she's very happy. As I've been the one to set most of it up for her, I can say I don't see how anyone could say "Android sucks" unless they've never used Android and are just clinging to their conviction that iOS is the best ever and has to be the best because they bought it.

I switched from iOS, to Android, and back to iOS because overall i feel iOS is a better ecosystem, and nothing about Android grabbed me.

It's getting to the point where Android fanboys are worse than Apple Fanboys. Who cares? It's a damn phone

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-blocks-unauthorized-Lightning-cables-with-iOS-7_id47612

This would've pissed me off if I was going to buy a 5s to replace my 4s. Since I'm buying a Moto X instead, I sort of nodded to myself and said, "This was why I was leaving in the first place, and they're just validating my decision."

Wow, a warning notification, it's the end of the world. These are the same exact posters that then point to things like the iPhone that caught fire because of a knockoff charger as if that is a major issue as well.

People will complain about anything

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

If you get an upper tier phone its probably really nice, but there are lots of cheaper android that perfectly validate "android sucks".

I have to do at least a battery pull a day on average. Given its not a top android but still.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I'd rather pay extra for a cable than get electrocuted to death, although I did just buy 5 30-pin connectors for $5 on eBay :D

One person got electrocuted out of millions of users, FYI.

It's fine that Apple uses that excuse to make more money off of charger sales. I just don't have to give my money to them. If you're okay with paying $35+ for every charger you buy, great! I'd rather spend my money a little more wisely and have my choice of manufacturers.

----------

Wow, a warning notification, it's the end of the world. These are the same exact posters that then point to things like the iPhone that caught fire because of a knockoff charger as if that is a major issue as well.

People will complain about anything

It's not merely a warning notification, but thanks for not actually reading the article.

It used to be just a warning. Now the cables flat-out don't work.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Nothing is being blocked.
3rd-party cables work perfectly fine except for the popup notification saying that they're not certified.
And 3rd-party cables that are certified are available from places like Amazon and Monoprice.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I think this is a good move. Too many horror stories over the last year with unauthorized cables. I don't blame Apple for wanting to disassociate themselves from crappy manufacturers making terrible products that can potentially harm their customers.

One. One horror story. In China.

Regardless, people always had the choice of buying from Apple or going on Amazon, etc, and reading reviews, and buying a good solid reliable charger for 1/3 the price.

Now they don't have that choice. And if you think it's because Apple wants to "disassociate themselves from crappy manufacturers" rather than "Apple wants to profit from all charger sales," you are deluding yourself.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010

No, I bought an unlocked Android phone to use in Europe. The OS was old. Never any updates, and none of the Android Tools backup or restore your phones data or configuration. So you have to manually download your apps, and configure all your settings by hand.. So I say it's a "retarded" OS with immature tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.