Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 5s Shipping Estimates Slip to October

Apple appears to have sold out of its iPhone 5s stock, with shipping estimates for all models in the United States slipping from 7-10 days to an ambiguous "October" ship date. The phone, which went on sale yesterday, saw shipping times of 1-3 days for the first four hours that it was available before estimates dropped to a seven to 10 day ship time.

Shipping estimates for online orders of the phone opened at 7-10 days in a number of countries, indicating significant stock shortages. Apple saw high demand for its gold iPhone 5s, which sold out within 28 minutes after launch in the United States. Both gold and silver iPhones were available in very limited quantities from Apple and other third-party retailers, while stock of the space gray phone appeared to be more widely available.

According to an Apple representative, the company saw incredible demand for the new phone, and a report from The Wall Street Journal suggests Apple has already asked its supply chain to increase production of the gold iPhone 5s in particular.

Currently, all colors and capacities of the iPhone 5s from all U.S. carriers display a shipping estimate of October. The same is true for the rest of the world, with online Apple Stores in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and the U.K. displaying identical October estimates.

iPhone 5c supplies remain plentiful, with all colors and capacities available to ship within 24 hours.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Shipping Estimates Slip to October
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Nyy8
macrumors 6502

I guess I should be thanking the lord I walked into an Apple Store at 5pm launch day, and they had the exact color, and exact size I wanted.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Richardgm
macrumors 6502a

This is probably the worst it has ever been for a new iPhone release. I can't find them anywhere. Never mind the gold version.
Richardgm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Was there ever a demand for for a phone like iPhone 5C? Seems like they could have just introduced the iPhone 5S, and things would have been a usual - record profits.
Mackan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
BlindGoldfish
Banned

7-10 days from now would put us in... October.
BlindGoldfish is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Che Castro
macrumors 601

i think there were focused on making lots of iphone 5c and forgot about the 5s
Che Castro is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:01 PM   #7
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
iPhone 5c supplies remain plentiful, with all colors and capacities available
Is the 5c that much easier to make or is it not selling as well as Apple had hoped?
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:03 PM   #8
giantrobot503
macrumors newbie

What did I do right? I waltzed into the AT&T store at 2 PM launch day and they had the exact one I wanted...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #9
inhalexhale1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyy8 View Post
I guess I should be thanking the lord I walked into an Apple Store at 5pm launch day, and they had the exact color, and exact size I wanted.
Yea, imagine how horrible it would be to wait 1 month.
inhalexhale1 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #10
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Is the 5c that much easier to make or is it not selling as well as Apple had hoped?
The 5c is probably easier to make, more profitable, and they already know the diehards will go for the 5s.

I'm starting to wonder if the 5c is a comparative flop.
TennisandMusic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Was there ever a demand for for a phone like iPhone 5C? Seems like they could have just introduced the iPhone 5S, and things would have been a usual - record profits.
It's replacing the 5. All those people who want $99 phones will get them eventually, and apple will make a higher profit than they would have from the 5. Even MORE record profits.
Kaibelf is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #12
taptic
macrumors 65816

On the count of three everyone:

"I can't wait that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
taptic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

I have a 2-3 day ship window on my iPhone.
Hopefully it will arrive before the end of the week.
Eduardo1971 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
This is probably the worst it has ever been for a new iPhone release. I can't find them anywhere. Never mind the gold version.
I am lucky enough to have two real Apple stores I can get to. There were hundreds lined up at each and all got phones. The people who were expecting priority delivery at some mall kiosk, however, are seriously delusional. They have been commenting in droves about how Apple fails because they didn't send hundreds of units to some tiny carrier store in BFE, Montana.
Kaibelf is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:07 PM   #15
jav6454
macrumors G5

I really think Apple just screwed this thing up by releasing the 5C. They focused on a lower level tier instead of their top tier, which as we can see now, is severely constrained.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:08 PM   #16
TimCook
macrumors member

Quote:
Lucky you! (I guess you wanted slate grey?)

I was lucky enough to get the exact iPhone I wanted on launch too (thankfully the queues aren't as long here in Australia)

The new gold colour is so shmexy
TimCook is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:08 PM   #17
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What color and what size did you want/get?
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Clubber
macrumors member

I got a notification mine shipped today with estimated delivery of Monday (silver/32g). I was surprised because the site originally said it would ship between October 1st and 10th. I ordered the afternoon (around 3pm) the day of the release.

Looking forward to it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
that's pretty amazing.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:10 PM   #20
TAI182
macrumors regular

I got a 16 GB Space Gray at an Apple Store on launch day. Love it so much.
TAI182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:13 PM   #21
HornetOSX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
I really think Apple just screwed this thing up by releasing the 5C. They focused on a lower level tier instead of their top tier, which as we can see now, is severely constrained.

Are you kidding me??

Marketing 101.. make your item more desirable by making it so popular you can't even get it. This creates even more marketplace buzz making the item even more desirable ( and free press)

This makes the increased cost of the 5S over the 5C seem more worth it.

this is why manufactures of all kinds of things ( car's motorcycles artwork .. so on and so on) have limited special editions.

Apple gets all the advantages of a limited edition ( increased desirability and marketplace buzz) ... without actually making a limited edition there for being able to sell millions and millions of them.

Bloody brillant .
HornetOSX is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:15 PM   #22
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
And imagine if they jammed even more cutting edge tech into the new iPhone, there'd be even less to go around, and even fewer people would be enjoying them right now.

At least the spec-heads would be happy, though... Oh, who am I kidding— of course they wouldn't be.
gatearray is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:16 PM   #23
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

it happens every single year, you would think people would be smart enough to know it isn't because they can't supply it, it's because they choose not to supply it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:16 PM   #24
nealh
macrumors 6502

I am not sure why anyone is calling the 5C a flop. I really doubt Apple expected huge demand for it. It replaced the year old 5. It was IMHO a smart thing to do, it refreshed the year old product and will bring some who did not want black or just white.

Apple, I am sure never expected sales like they would want with the "S" version.

Did anyone really look carefully at iPhone 4 sales the launch weekend of the 4S??

I think the key comparison might be to compare 5C sales to iPhone 4 sales when the 4S launched.

Just my opinion.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #25
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
The 5c is probably easier to make, more profitable, and they already know the diehards will go for the 5s.

I'm starting to wonder if the 5c is a comparative flop.
It may not sell as many as the 5s opening week, but we have many weeks left before next fall. I remember reading reports that Apple was still selling lots of 4 and 4S models this past year while the 5 was available. Not everyone needs the premium model.
mbh is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion