Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I’ve read about a technique where it was possible (I’m not sure through which methods), but only while the latest iOS6 versions were signed.

Sadly, I’ve read that now they aren’t anymore. Guess I’ve been waiting too long, but hey, I wanted to test iOS7 after all.

Now that I’ve realised that iOS7 is a complete disaster (which doesn’t even fit to the design of OSX Mavericks), I’ve decided I should go back. Plus, I still own an iPhone 4, and the phone is much slower now.

Now my question is, if I simply restore my phone, from my latest backup, will it not reinstall iOS6 on it?

moargolems

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
Nope. iTunes always restores your device to the newest possible firmware, unless you shift-click to an older firmware - however, you will not get past Apple's signature check. The last backup has nothing to do with the actual restoring process.

The only instances, where you can shift-click to an earlier firmware, are when Apple is still signing it, or you have SHSH blobs saved on saurik's server (running Cydia for the first time and 'making your life easier') or on your computer (TinyUmbrella).

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

jonankev

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
Sorry!

Sorry when I read it yesterday it was still working!
I did succeed last year in taking an iPhone 3G back to iOS 3 after upgrades had slowed it down but I have forgotten how I did it. I was using a Mac desktop and I remember there was a website with many past iOS's to download and a small programme to install them. It is 2 am here in Hong Kong but I'll try to dig out the details tomorrow. I originally found out how to do it by 'Googling' the problem.
John

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sorry when I read it yesterday it was still working!
I did succeed last year in taking an iPhone 3G back to iOS 3 after upgrades had slowed it down but I have forgotten how I did it. I was using a Mac desktop and I remember there was a website with many past iOS's to download and a small programme to install them. It is 2 am here in Hong Kong but I'll try to dig out the details tomorrow. I originally found out how to do it by 'Googling' the problem.
John

You can do that on an iPhone 4 and earlier by having SHSH blobs saved for earlier versions of iOS.

There is no way to downgrade an iPhone 4S or higher unless apple is signing the firmware, and they no longer are.

Edit: just saw the OP has an iPhone 4, so it may be possible. Try googling.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I remember part of the process was changing the URL iTunes checks against during activation so it didn't matter if Apple stopped signing the firmware.

moargolems

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
I remember part of the process was changing the URL iTunes checks against during activation so it didn't matter if Apple stopped signing the firmware.
You mean changing the hosts file? It doesn't matter as long as you have your SHSH saved on saurik's server (to where you are actually forwarding the hosts file). If not, it matters more than anything.

There are four instances where the blobs are checked - one in the verifying, one in iBoot, one in the bootrom, and everytime you wake your phone from sleep, so the signatures must be valid at any times. Changing some URLs won't do the trick if you are missing the blobs.

tl;dr: Restoring an iPhone 4 to earlier firmware requires you to have saved SHSH blobs. OP, have you jailbroken your device while on iOS 6?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.