Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 22, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1
yannoulecomte
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
When is that iPad 5 coming...

Hey all, last year in October I really wanted that iPad mini when I came out. But I looked at the specs and that made me not buy it. The iPad 4 was excellent for my needs but that weight and thickness was just...no. So I thought a new iPad would come out with the same design as the mini in March. Wrong I was. Then there was that rumour of a June release. I was quite happy because I would be in New York at that time. It did not come out. And lately I see how much I need it for my work, how usefull it would be etc.. when will it ever be released??? I've been waiting for almost a year! Is there any hope i'd be able to get it before November? And also is there also that same thing with the iPhone where people camp outside, then there is no more in stock etc?
yannoulecomte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a
 
Buckeyestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannoulecomte View Post
Hey all, last year in October I really wanted that iPad mini when I came out. But I looked at the specs and that made me not buy it. The iPad 4 was excellent for my needs but that weight and thickness was just...no. So I thought a new iPad would come out with the same design as the mini in March. Wrong I was. Then there was that rumour of a June release. I was quite happy because I would be in New York at that time. It did not come out. And lately I see how much I need it for my work, how usefull it would be etc.. when will it ever be released??? I've been waiting for almost a year! Is there any hope i'd be able to get it before November? And also is there also that same thing with the iPhone where people camp outside, then there is no more in stock etc?
The rumor is of an October 15 iPad announcement, release would likely follow 10 days after. The craziness will depend on how much changes. The iPad 2 launch was nuts. iPad 4 was nothing much, but it was a fairly minor upgrade of the iPad 3 which had launched earlier that year.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Serban
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
yes 15 October will be for sure since the same source said that iphone event will be on 10th september. So yea iPad mini 2 with A7, retina display, space grey and silver ,and we are not sure about the finger print for ipad mini 2(ipad5 for sure)
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Velin
macrumors 6502a
 
Velin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
If iPad mini 2 has retina and A7, I'm buying several of them. It will be great, and I will be happy to be rid of the much heavier regular iPad.
Velin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:04 PM   #5
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
I don't care much for the mini anymore. I want a thinner lighter ipad 5.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Retuned the mini just did not like the smaller screen. Bought a 128gb ATT iPad 4 and have not looked back. Unless the new 5 offers something really good, I am sticking with this.
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
James717
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
I don't care much for the mini anymore. I want a thinner lighter ipad 5.

And faster. That is all.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
Retuned the mini just did not like the smaller screen. Bought a 128gb ATT iPad 4 and have not looked back. Unless the new 5 offers something really good, I am sticking with this.

Ipad 4 is an excellent machine.

Ipad 5 may be faster and a bit lighter, but will take all the great things from an already great iPad 4.
James717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
I don't care much for the mini anymore. I want a thinner lighter ipad 5.
Yeah a lighter, thinner iPad 5 would make my decision tougher as I was planning to buy both. I'm also hopefully optimistic that Apple refines iOS 7.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:57 AM   #9
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Pretty sure there will be a bigger iPhone next year so I'm thinking of going back to a 'full size' iPad and selling the mini.
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Diversion
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St. Augustine, FL
iPad Mini 2 = A5 cpu, nothing else changed

iPad 5 = A7X, redesign to match mini-like formfactor.. Thinner and lighter than iPad3/4 design.

This is most likely what will happen.. The iPad Mini will always get last year's CPU.. Retina won't come to it in a number of revisions.. Perhaps next year but not this soon.. Apple doesn't want the Mini to be identical to it's big brother.. Apple loves marketing everything as trade-offs.. I.E. Money gets you a better screen and performance.
__________________
Late 2013 iMac i7/780M/3TB Fusion
2013 MBA 13" Base
iPad Air 32GB Wifi
2012 Sager 17"
Diversion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:04 PM   #11
s2mikey
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Im still hanging tight with my iPad 2. The new OS makes it feel like a newer unit again to me

IMO, the iPad 4 will be the best buy once the 5 comes out. The refurbs will be super low and even new ones will come down. Unless the 5 has some monumental hardware changes or something, an oz lighter with a smaller bezel does not warrant paying full price. The ipad 4 would be my upgrade.
s2mikey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
akm3
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Im still hanging tight with my iPad 2. The new OS makes it feel like a newer unit again to me

IMO, the iPad 4 will be the best buy once the 5 comes out. The refurbs will be super low and even new ones will come down. Unless the 5 has some monumental hardware changes or something, an oz lighter with a smaller bezel does not warrant paying full price. The ipad 4 would be my upgrade.
I'm still on iPad 1. That thing is a dog now, and stuck way back on iOS 5.
__________________
akm3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:47 PM   #13
The Economist
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mexico
It's definitely coming this year. I'm thinking of upgrading to an iPad 5 from an iPad 3, it really depends of what's new.
The Economist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:48 PM   #14
octatonic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I have an iPad 2 and a mini, both 64GB.

If the iPad 5 is light and has the same tech as the iPhone 5s then I'd get rid of them both.
__________________
2.8 GHz Quad Mac Pro (10GB, 4TB), 23" Cinema Display ; 2013 13" 1.3 GHz MacBook Air (8GB, 128GB) ; iPad 2 64GB 3G; iPad mini 64GB 3G ; iPhone 5s 64GB ; 2x Apple TV 2.
octatonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:07 PM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post
iPad Mini 2 = A5 cpu, nothing else changed

iPad 5 = A7X, redesign to match mini-like formfactor.. Thinner and lighter than iPad3/4 design.

This is most likely what will happen.. The iPad Mini will always get last year's CPU.. Retina won't come to it in a number of revisions.. Perhaps next year but not this soon.. Apple doesn't want the Mini to be identical to it's big brother.. Apple loves marketing everything as trade-offs.. I.E. Money gets you a better screen and performance.
Last year's CPU would be the A6....

Otherwise, I would agree. Perhaps an A6X depending on how small they could get the die. Would likely need to be to run a retina display which I think is coming.
__________________
Apple: iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S
Android: Motorola Moto G
Windows: Nokia Lumia 520
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:23 PM   #16
McPc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA
I sure hope there isn't a crazy run on the new iPad's like there has been on the iPhone. Either way I plan on ordering on-line as soon as they are available for pre-order.
McPc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:51 PM   #17
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020
 
jamesryanbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
Retuned the mini just did not like the smaller screen. Bought a 128gb ATT iPad 4 and have not looked back. Unless the new 5 offers something really good, I am sticking with this.
The form factor and weight are the most important change coming for most folks that I've talked to. If it's lighter and thinner, then that's a massively big deal.
__________________
Mac Mini Server w/27" ACD / MBA 11" / ATV3
iPhone 5S White/Silver 64GB AT&T
iPad Air White/Silver 16GB AT&T
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:53 PM   #18
MacMilligan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
My iPad 3 is all I need right now. A slim design would be nice, but not worth another $599 for me.
MacMilligan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:54 PM   #19
pear21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
I want an eye scanner lol, something super futuristic lol. I like the rumors of the lighter space gray on the back, I think that will look very nice!
__________________
Guys check out my blog about digital marketing!!
http://www.digitalmarketingcentral.com/
pear21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:05 PM   #20
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Im still hanging tight with my iPad 2. The new OS makes it feel like a newer unit again to me

IMO, the iPad 4 will be the best buy once the 5 comes out. The refurbs will be super low and even new ones will come down. Unless the 5 has some monumental hardware changes or something, an oz lighter with a smaller bezel does not warrant paying full price. The ipad 4 would be my upgrade.

Text on IOS-7 looks awful on the iPad 2.
Noctilux.95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 06:52 PM   #21
iMule
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Apple hasn't put much emphasis on iOS 7 for iPad in their keynotes. I'd like to hope the 5 is a major update. The 4 wasn't much (I've seen people argue this, but come on).

There's room for more, and here's what I want:

- Faster charging and processor
- better iOS optimization with the screen real estate.
- fingerprint recognition
- better battery life
__________________
13" MacBook Pro (mid 2010) - at&t iPhone 4 16 GB - 2010 iPod Nano 16 GB - TV2 - Verizon iPad 2 32 GB
iMule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 07:51 PM   #22
s2mikey
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 View Post
Text on IOS-7 looks awful on the iPad 2.
Test has never been a strong point of the iPad 2. All these new screens with super resolution really show it up. But, with bold and contrast boost on I feel its fine for me. At least I know that my next iPad will have the retina display so I'll be set then.
s2mikey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Diversion
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Last year's CPU would be the A6....

Otherwise, I would agree. Perhaps an A6X depending on how small they could get the die. Would likely need to be to run a retina display which I think is coming.
Oops that was a typo on my part, A6 for sure
__________________
Late 2013 iMac i7/780M/3TB Fusion
2013 MBA 13" Base
iPad Air 32GB Wifi
2012 Sager 17"
Diversion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:05 PM   #24
Centris 650
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Near Charleston, SC
Send a message via AIM to Centris 650
Yeah, I think the October15 reveal is probably correct rather than the 22nd. I was in a couple of best buys on Friday checking out their 5s supplies and saw that it iPad section was thin. They had very few iPads and cases. I believe we will see an invite to the next big event soon.

And personally.....I can't wait!
__________________
"Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side."
Centris 650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:29 PM   #25
Steve-Jobs
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I'm very happy with my iPad 4. All I want now is a JB for 6.1.3/4 and viola, I have a fast, sexy looking machine for a loong time! (apart from the thickness
Steve-Jobs is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC