Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opnancy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I am only seeing iMessages in a running list in order of arrival. How do I view the list grouped by person? I hope this is still possible! Thanks in advance.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Something is wrong in your setup: on my iPhone / iPad iMessages are still grouped by contact.

opnancy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I tried the close app and reboot but still do not see messages grouped by person. I welcome all suggestions. Thanks.

opnancy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I'm just seeing a running list of iMessages in the order received, with the name of sender or who I wrote to. But I do not have a view that shows the messages by person. Sorry, will not do a screen shot.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I'm just seeing a running list of iMessages in the order received, with the name of sender or who I wrote to. But I do not have a view that shows the messages by person. Sorry, will not do a screen shot.

?? How do you expect us to help/understand what it is you're seeing?

Best two options at this point:

1) Restore phone

2) Take it to the apple store and speak with the genius bar

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Are you trying to see everything a person has said, even if its in multiple conversations? You can't do that. Or do you want your list of messages alphabetized instead of orgained by date, newest first? You can't do that. You can search for the person's name and it will show you all the conversations the person is in, but not every txt they have made in each of those conversations. If its something else I have no idea what you are asking.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

That's how messages works..it shows you your message conversations, sorted by the most recent sent/received. Are you trying to sort these message threads alphabetically, by sender? If so, that's not possible. Are you seeing multiple message threads show up for the same person? If so, I've never seen it before.

I don't care what your messages say (I'm sure no one here does), but if you want help you'll either have to be more clear or show us what you're seeing.

Macuser421

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Imessaging

Any idea how to get iMessage working with the latest update, mine says waiting for activation, I enter my password and get an error message saying could not sign in please check your network connection and try again. My wi fi is working fine.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
A screenshot would really be helpful. However,...

When you open iMessage, you see a list of all messages in chronological order. So, if you had received a message from "Doug" @ 3:00pm, you replied at 3:01pm, Susan sent you a message at 3:02 and Doug replied to you at 3:03 your list would look something like --

Doug - blah blah blah
Susan- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ;)
You - blah
Doug - blah blah

As opposed to the normal view which would be --

Doug -blah blah blah
Susan - blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Is that what you mean?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I think he's just lying, why can't he take a simple screenshot.

Consider the private nature of messaging. Perhaps editing the screenshot to cover identities and contents of messages is beyond him. Or perhaps doing so would make the whole point of showing a screenshot moot.

Purex

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
A screenshot would really be helpful. However,...

When you open iMessage, you see a list of all messages in chronological order. So, if you had received a message from "Doug" @ 3:00pm, you replied at 3:01pm, Susan sent you a message at 3:02 and Doug replied to you at 3:03 your list would look something like --

Doug - blah blah blah
Susan- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ;)
You - blah
Doug - blah blah

As opposed to the normal view which would be --

Doug -blah blah blah
Susan - blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Is that what you mean?

That happens to me, when " DOUG " texts me from his mobile number ( SMS ) and sometimes he iMessages me, from his email. That creates separate Threads, from the same NAME but diferent origins. Its a know bug...might be this whats happening to the OP

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Perhaps he is receiving messages as SMS??????

I wonder his iMessage is activated... That seems to be only explanation....

Are the messages in Green or White bubble???

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
?? How do you expect us to help/understand what it is you're seeing?

Why the snappy. Messages are private info.

And I don't see why it's so had to understand what he's saying. The OP was rather clear in the description. I don't see a setting that could be wrong. I would try rebooting the whole phone, perhaps a reset all settings. Might be a quirk of software. Especially if one updated over iOS 6 rather than a restore/update. Hopefully a settings refresh will clear it up

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Why the snappy. Messages are private info.

And I don't see why it's so had to understand what he's saying. The OP was rather clear in the description. I don't see a setting that could be wrong. I would try rebooting the whole phone, perhaps a reset all settings. Might be a quirk of software. Especially if one updated over iOS 6 rather than a restore/update. Hopefully a settings refresh will clear it up

No one is being snappy, we just don't understand the exact problem that's why we need screen shot.

No one is interested in his message content - he can blank or fade out actual message, we just want to see what he is trying to say....

We are trying to help the OP, but can't as we do not understand the problem...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That happens to me, when " DOUG " texts me from his mobile number ( SMS ) and sometimes he iMessages me, from his email. That creates separate Threads, from the same NAME but diferent origins. Its a know bug...might be this whats happening to the OP

That's not a bug. SMS and iMessage are separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.