Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Last year my daughter came to me and wanted to upgrade her iPhone 4 to the new 5 because she was having some problems with it that I couldn't resolve. She wanted to trade hers in, pay for some of it out of her money, and I could pay the balance. I told her I would make her a deal. Get straight A's for the entire school year and I would get her the new phone.
She worked her butt off for the entire year and did it. Not even 1 B+. And this was in a new school that we had moved to.
So in June I told her I would get her a new phone or she could wait for the new 5S to come out. She thought she could wait if it didn't take to long because her phone was acting up all the time. She waited and waited. I kept her updated on all the leaks about the new 5S.
Finally it was released. My wife was up with me at 3:00 a.m. and stood in line at the Verizon store to make sure she got her new phone that she earned the day it was released. She was first in line and others filed in behind her. When the doors opened they told her they had NO SILVER 5S PHONES IN 64GB or 32GB. We searched all over and couldn't find one.
After work I called every outlet within a three hour drive and of course no luck. So I went home and ordered one online and had to tell my daughter it "might" be here in a couple weeks. Being a bright, well adjusted, and secure 15 year old she took the news very well. She continues to amaze me and make me so proud. She understands that we did all that we could do. She is not at all upset with my wife and I rather with Apple. I told her I would write a blog that showed the reality to you and hopefully the board and your stockholders.
My thoughts to you are this. I think it is very poor business practice to release a highly anticipated product to the world and not actually have the product to sell. This all in the name of publicity so the media can report on the long lines waiting to get their hands on your latest, greatest thing. To report that the demand is SO crazy that you are selling out. Selling out of what? THERE WASN'T EVEN PRODUCT TO SELL!
This was the reality Mr. Cook. I don't know what it was like in "Palo Alto", but it was a pretty pathetic scene in middle America.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
You do know OP, that no one from Apple corporate or other wise reads the MacRumor forums ? Best to write to them directly.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I hope you know Tim cool doesn't visit this forum, try his email instead.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm assuming that you sent this missive to Cook directly, and didn't just post it here on the assumption that Cook will read it on MR.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
I don't know why you put quotes around "Palo Alto" or what you're trying to infer by doing so. "Palo Alto" was just like everywhere else. Long lines, high demand, short supply.

Sounds like you're more upset about it than your daughter. Take a page out of her book, huh? Your daughter is going to be just fine without the 5S. Really. You, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about.

Talk about your entitled first-world problems...

Last edited:

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
This all in the name of publicity so the media can report on the long lines waiting to get their hands on your latest, greatest thing. To report that the demand is SO crazy that you are selling out. Selling out of what? THERE WASN'T EVEN PRODUCT TO SELL!

Cry me a river. It sounds like you're the 15 year old.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Interesting letter but at the end of the day, it's a product. We've become a world of people who expect everything and want it immediately and with the population being what it is, it's not going to happen. If anything, it'll just get much worse.

Just be happy you have a healthy daughter that gets good grades. She'll get the phone, just not today.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
In all honesty I waited with my 16 year old son at a AT&T store starting at 1:30 and his older sister had to relieve him at 6:30 so he can go to school which was totally fine to wait it out as I do it every year but more important for Apple to treat there carriers like step child's and not provide all the colors and configurations is a bit unfair. Let's face it we can't even use these things without the 4 big carriers to provide service. It was more a statement Apples first and the rest of you really don't count much. Now my son and I knew when we got to the store it was only the grey units and we decided to settle for it since being second in line we would get phones. The thought of going to the Apple store with 100 inline was a risk. Bottom line I hold no grudge but as a freelance photographer runny a business my goal is to satisfy my customers needs the best I know how. Apple in this case made the cardinal sin of not doing that to there carriers and to there customers. That left a bad taste in my mouth. We love the product and huge Apple fans. I have almost every product they make in my home and my business. But this go round I think we have to admit even as a huge supporter of Apple and its products this one kind of sucked on how they handled this launch. The koolaid is a little less sweet.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
You could have looked on these boards the night before. It was common knowledge here that only the apple stores would have silver/gold.

Take this opportunity to teach your daughter something other how to be a whiner.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Seriously I own a photography forum and a big one not every common customer reads forums to get news. MR may see only 2 percent of the buying population actually reading it.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
We all (at least the visitors of this forum) want it. So what? Order online, the version you want and give it 1-2 weeks to arrive. As if it was a surprise.

Some people think they're special and need special treatment all the way. Calm down and stop ridiculing yourself like a 4 year old kid! Grow some balls and deal with it.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
We all (at least the visitors of this forum) want it. So what? Order online, the version you want and give it 1-2 weeks to arrive. As if it was a surprise.

Some people think they're special and need special treatment all the way. Calm down and stop ridiculing yourself like a 4 year old kid! Grow some balls and deal with it.

That's a nice thought but reality is not everyone has a extra 900 dollars for 2 phones with early upgrade fees to just float there money for two weeks before they can sell there old phones. Outside of that the hype created to get a phone and the fact you can wait in a line to do that causes people to take that route. Folks need to think in general terms here it's not all about what you want as the answer. Everyone has different needs and wants. That's the real reality

The bottom line was Apple should have waited a week on the S launch get the production levels up to handle the demand. Believe me they know the demand there not new to these launches. They where after media coverage plain and simple and it's biting them in the ass as maybe that Apple trust is slipping to use Apple fans and yes I am one of them too.

I hold no grudge at all but I still did not get what I wanted either. Nor did a lot of folks. Is that really good business for Apple. In the end maybe not

Bottom line they could have handled this smarter. Just read this forum on trying to get the exact phones people wanted and you will see the answer, not everyone is a happy camper. I'm not one to normally bitch about these things but its load and clear just on this forum alone the hassle taken at these store launches. The online orders went well and they bumped up that system very well. It's the rubber soles in the streets they need to address and having enough stock on hand at Apple stores and the carrier stores to at least get through the first day at launch. That's where people are upset.

Last edited:

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
What a waste of time - get over it. Apple owes you nothing- they were available and people got them, including me and my wife. You simply did some things wrong- Going to a Verizon store or not ordering online at 3:00 am EST. Wife ordered online, I stood in line. Hers is shipped for delivery this Tuesday.

Did you little promise to your daughter say she can have it on launch day? If so that is a deal that you had zero chance of keeping.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
That's a nice thought but reality is not everyone has a extra 900 dollars for 2 phones with early upgrade fees to just float there money for two weeks before they can sell there old phones. Outside of that the hype created to get a phone and the fact you can wait in a line to do that causes people to take that route. Folks need to think in general terms here it's not all about what you want as the answer. Everyone has different needs and wants. That's the real reality

The bottom line was Apple should have waited a week on the S launch get the production levels up to handle the demand. Believe me they know the demand there not new to these launches. They where after media coverage plain and simple and it's biting them in the ass as maybe that Apple trust is slipping to use Apple fans and yes I am one of them too.

Can't you order it with your carrier if money is an issue? Time is money, either you have the one or the other. If you are so keen on it. Who prevents you to buy it from ebay for a "litle" fee added?

Nobody is entitled to get what he wishes and that right now on day one. Either you wait or get another configuration or phone or whatever.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
In all honesty I waited with my 16 year old son at a AT&T store starting at 1:30 and his older sister had to relieve him at 6:30 so he can go to school which was totally fine to wait it out as I do it every year but more important for Apple to treat there carriers like step child's and not provide all the colors and configurations is a bit unfair. Let's face it we can't even use these things without the 4 big carriers to provide service. It was more a statement Apples first and the rest of you really don't count much. Now my son and I knew when we got to the store it was only the grey units and we decided to settle for it since being second in line we would get phones. The thought of going to the Apple store with 100 inline was a risk. Bottom line I hold no grudge but as a freelance photographer runny a business my goal is to satisfy my customers needs the best I know how. Apple in this case made the cardinal sin of not doing that to there carriers and to there customers. That left a bad taste in my mouth. We love the product and huge Apple fans. I have almost every product they make in my home and my business. But this go round I think we have to admit even as a huge supporter of Apple and its products this one kind of sucked on how they handled this launch. The koolaid is a little less sweet.

thanks for being honest, we hate liars.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Can't you order it with your carrier if money is an issue? Time is money, either you have the one or the other. If you are so keen on it. Who prevents you to buy it from ebay for a "litle" fee added?

Nobody is entitled to get what he wishes and that right now on day one. Either you wait or get another configuration or phone or whatever.

Have you seen the prices on eBay for a S lately. Don't look its scary

This is not about me and what I got. If I did not setle for they grey I would have walked away and got it another time. It's really more about Apple not thinking smart here and supplying themselves and there carriers with enough stock on hand. This is bad press and surely that is not what they wanted. I'm looking at this in a general view not my personal needs. No one gives a rats ass on what I wanted. Look at this from a top level down. This was bad business on Apples part.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Have you seen the prices on eBay for a S lately. Don't look its scary

This is not about me and what I got. If I did not setle for they grey I would have walked away and got it another time. It's really more about Apple not thinking smart here and supplying themselves and there carriers with enough stock on hand. This is bad press and surely that is not what they wanted. I'm looking at this in a general view not my personal needs. No one gives a rats ass on what I wanted. Look at this from a top level down. This was bad business on Apples part.

I don't think it's bad press for apple at all. It's free promotion, that will even drive the demand. It's only people like you who are disapointed not getting the exact version they want on day one. In 2 weeks everyone will be able to buy it in whaever configuration. So what's the deal? Does your life depend on posessing the newest phone on release?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Everybody knows release days of iPhones is always a nutty day, why are we surprised? U let yourself be whipped into the hype that's you.

And I read here ppl go into ATT, BestBuy, no prob, no waiting, so I dunno man.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
LMAO at all the responses.

Maybe if you had a heart here you could understand that it rubbed people the wrong way. I think that is all the OP is saying, he chose to go a different direction but it wasted its families time and effort to get what they wanted.

Its a legitimate bitch as it is with a lot of people on this forum and many that are very kine Apple supporters.

Let me guess you ordered on line and did not wake up in the middle of the night to go park your ass on concrete and wait it out. Shame maybe you would have a different prospective . I'm 57 maybe if I was 12 years old like you I would sit here and judge people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.