Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
So lately when I try to use FCP X on my 2012 MBA 128/8/i5, I get Quicktime Error 50, and I've tried alot of things like deleting render files, but nothing seems to work. If I delete FCP X (I don't mind losing old projects.) and re install it, will everything be back to normal?

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
So lately when I try to use FCP X on my 2012 MBA 128/8/i5, I get Quicktime Error 50, and I've tried alot of things like deleting render files, but nothing seems to work. If I delete FCP X (I don't mind losing old projects.) and re install it, will everything be back to normal?

I'd suggest first moving all your projects and events to another folder. Just rename your folders "~/Movies/Final Cut Events" and "~/Movies/Final Cut Projects" to something else (e.g. attach .tmp in the end...). If FCPX then opens without problems, something is broken in your projects. You can move them back one by one to see which one is causing the problem.

If it still doesn't open, you can delete and reinstall FCPX. If it works after that, you will not have lost any of your projects, since you just backed them up in a different folder. If it still doesn't work (clean install without any projects), then I would contact Apple.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The "50" error means there is something wrong with the media. Re-installing FCP will not fix that. COuld be something wrong with one file, with the disk itself or a permission set wrong so a file can't be read (no, "fix permissions" will not fix media files, only installed apps)

Move the projects and events folders to some place then create new ones and put in a tiny file you know is OK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.