Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corfio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
So I have a iPhone 5, never had the opportunity to try airdrop during the beta but yesterday. When me and my friend activated it on the two phones - my phone appeared to him ( he could send me files), but when I access the sharing menu it kept on saying that I need to activate airdrop in order to use it.

Long story short after countless tries to send, hard resetting the phone, turning airdrop on/off - I couldn't "see" his device so I can send him picture. In the meanwhile I got few dozen pictures from him cause his devices was "seeing" mine..

Anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks..

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Do bluetooth and WiFi both work and are they turned on?

If one or the other didn't work that might explain why the phone doesn't think Airdrop is enabled.

corfio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Do bluetooth and WiFi both work and are they turned on?

If one or the other didn't work that might explain why the phone doesn't think Airdrop is enabled.

They are both activated and my phone receives photos via airdrop. At the same time I cannot send because in the share menu it says that is not activated...

iAmirul

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
Singapore
1) maybe your friend didnt turn on bluetooth
2) there are two options for the Airdrop to work: first one is Contacts Only and second one is Everyone.. Try using the everyone option
3) a bug?

I could be wrong :p

Edit: the problem I listed might be on your friend's side

pepsijunky

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Salem, OR
I am having this exact same issue. Tested it with someone else and he could see me and send me multiple files, but I never saw him.

I also did hard resets, reset all settings, still can't find others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.