Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple-cs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
If they (Apple) really wanted people to buy the phone, couldn't they have come up with a material other than plastic?

Why plastic?

Even if it could be less expensive? The Motorola phones are made out of wood. But, the conversations I'm hearing is that Apple is a way overstocked with 5c's they have way more than they know what to do with.

In fact, not one person in our line of 100 people was waiting for the iPhone 5c. So, what are they going to do with all those phones?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If they (Apple) really wanted people to buy the phone, couldn't they have come up with a material other than plastic?

Why plastic?

Even if it could be less expensive? The Motorola phones are made out of wood. But, the conversations I'm hearing is that Apple is a way overstocked with 5c's they have way more than they know what to do with.

In fact, not one person in our line of 100 people was waiting for the iPhone 5c. So, what are they going to do with all those phones?

Well the custom wood designs would be more expensive if anything. They made it plastic and are charging so much b.c the margins are huge. If they want them to sell they need to charge $400-$450 contract free

apple-cs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
The colors especially look like a circus. Icky yellow, elementary blue and Doo Doo green.

Finz72

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012

Why plastic?

Wait for the sales numbers to come out, it's going to surprise everyone. More people are buying this phone than you think and not just kids and grandmas. The phone seems to be appealing to all ages. I like it and I'm in my 50s. I personally saw a couple in their late 30s each buying one today. I think the phone will be a hit.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
5C is a nice phone.

Just a bit mis-priced. I think the pricing reflects the US contract market which increments down in $100 drops.

apple-cs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I don't care one way or the other, I'm just saying what I've seen.

Interestingly though it's not getting that much attention in the news.

But I'd like to know the sales for that phone, if we ever do find out.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
But it looks cheap..and .. is

Yet is $500+

#

The casing isn't metal on the outside, but it sure isn't cheap...same internals as the 5 and same steel chasis. The only difference is, instead of aluminum (a very inexpensive metal) it uses a very solid plastic (possibly PVC) and a solid clear coat. If anything I would say its a better build (possibly more expensive to fabricate) than the 5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The casing isn't metal on the outside, but it sure isn't cheap...same internals as the 5 and same steel chasis. The only difference is, instead of aluminum (a very inexpensive metal) it uses a very solid plastic (possibly PVC) and a solid clear coat. If anything I would say its a better build (possibly more expensive to fabricate) than the 5.

I really wish they made it in black!

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Went to an ATT store this morning and they we offering the iPhone 5C to everyone that walked into the store. Apple has now excess inventory of a plastic phone that nobody wants and has none of the 5S that is what people wanted. Also, who would pay that much money for an unlocked 5C?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I really wish they made it in black!

I agree. But I think that was a marketing decision. It forces people that want black to spend more. It would have been nice to see a black one...but if you were on the fence and you want black you will go with the more expensive (probably higher margin) 5S.

apple-cs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013

A plastic phone, more expensive to fabricate than the 5? Hmm.. interesting proposition.

Interesting that people's minds changed that it isn't cheap because last week people were saying this phone was for foreign markets.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
5S in a 5C case I'd have been all over. Less expensive 5C I'd have been all over as well.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I doubt the 5c is more expensive to fabricate than the 5, but it is likely more expensive to make than the current galaxy and such (not sure about Moto X) given the steel frame

apple-cs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Went to an ATT store this morning and they we offering the iPhone 5C to everyone that walked into the store. Apple has now excess inventory of a plastic phone that nobody wants and has none of the 5S that is what people wanted. Also, who would pay that much money for an unlocked 5C?

Ohh... Yeah they keep saying "5C! 5C! 5C!"

But nobody wants the 5C.

You can get it shipped in 24 hours, but no one is buying. And then the phone that people do want, they don't have.

Why.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
A plastic phone, more expensive to fabricate than the 5? Hmm.. interesting proposition.

You do understand that aluminum is about the cheapest metal you can buy right? It is also a great disperser of heat...so its best for electronics. It is very difficult to weld as a result, but it is bendable...making it easy to fabricate into shapes. The polymer they are using on the 5C actually feels more solid than the 5. I had a 5, now I have a 5S. I don't like the colors of the 5C..but I went and picked one up and the materials (as always for apple) are TOP NOTCH. I know everyone has a stigma over "plastic" but there are many types of plastic. This isn't some cheapo clamshell.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010

Why plastic?

What are your false pretences based on? Where did you pull them out from? Just stop making those stupid "iPhone 5c won't sell coz it is/it looks cheap" Threads. You have no clue what yo're talking about. Or what are your sources? Name at least 3 credible ones!

apple-cs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
It's almost like they're trying to hide the 5s.

You go to Apple.com and you have to dig to find it. Meanwhile they shove the 5C in your face.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ohh... Yeah they keep saying "5C! 5C! 5C!"

But nobody wants the 5C.

You can get it shipped in 24 hours, but no one is buying. And then the phone that people do want, they don't have.

Why.

Think about it. The 5C is BRIGHT and COLORFUL....if more people are walking around with them they will be much more easily noticed. Free marketing for apple. Black phones don't stand out.

The gold is something that apple has never done...so by only having a handful in the wild they will create even more hype.

Quantity of inventory was very masterfully strategized on their part. It has nothing to do with how many they could produce...it's all for desired effect once you leave the store! They know you will have this thing in your hands in public 95% of the time you are out. The more noticeable you are, the more they will sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.