Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I am on tmobile and currently have an unlocked 4s. I know apple updated the GSM phone in April after tmobile came on board so that the 5 would take advantage of all the Tmo bands (I think the 1700 band was the one that was added?)

So I'm trying to get a 5 on ebay but have to avoid the ones that are pre-april. According to wikipedia (a source I generally avoid at all costs!) the april model for BOTH tmo and at&t supports 1700.

My question is: if I get an At&t model, from after april, (last 4 of serial #Fh1d), I will be able to unlock it and be good to go with all tmo has to offer? Basically the at&t and tmobile models are exactly the same right? The only difference being that each is locked to its respective network?

thanks!

T0XIC

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
I am on tmobile and currently have an unlocked 4s. I know apple updated the GSM phone in April after tmobile came on board so that the 5 would take advantage of all the Tmo bands (I think the 1700 band was the one that was added?)

So I'm trying to get a 5 on ebay but have to avoid the ones that are pre-april. According to wikipedia (a source I generally avoid at all costs!) the april model for BOTH tmo and at&t supports 1700.

My question is: if I get an At&t model, from after april, (last 4 of serial #Fh1d), I will be able to unlock it and be good to go with all tmo has to offer? Basically the at&t and tmobile models are exactly the same right? The only difference being that each is locked to its respective network?

thanks!

I work at T-mobile, you are better off buying the T-mobile iphone 5 since the device is now just $550, if available funds are an issue... finance the phone and pay it off in installments or any other time you see fit (at your discretion) I've seen problems with these devices where the MMS or T-mobile LTE/4G wouldn't work.. plus you'll lose the apple warranty if the phone is unlocked illegally...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

thanks!

Yeah the ones made after April are exactly the same phone just locked to their networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.