Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:39 PM   #1
jsnuff1
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jsnuff1
Space Gray iPhone 5S Touch ID Ring does not match!

Anyone else ticked off about the design decision to not have the touch ID ring on the space gray iPhone 5S be space gray, and instead its black?

I like how the ring on the white and gold models match the back color, it give it more contrast and stands out more. A space gray ring around the touch ID sensor would look just as neat on the space gray iPhone, so not sure why they decided to put a black ring on there and its not as distinguishable as the other two models...
jsnuff1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2
user-name-here
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnuff1 View Post
Anyone else ticked off about the design decision to not have the touch ID ring on the space gray iPhone 5S be space gray, and instead its black?
Yep... furious
user-name-here is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Carlanga
macrumors 601

I saw people here saying they wanted it to match and the other half said they wanted it black...

If I had a space gray one I would have like it to match w/ space gray ring.

I think a poll is appropriate here.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:54 PM   #4
wepiii
macrumors regular

Quote:

I like how the ring on the white and gold models match the back color, it give it more contrast and stands out more. A space gray ring around the touch ID sensor would look just as neat on the space gray iPhone, so not sure why they decided to put a black ring on there and its not as distinguishable as the other two models...
Still think it was a last minute change... Look at the box... It is clearly space gray.
wepiii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:01 AM   #5
adam044
macrumors 65816

I think it looks great
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:10 AM   #6
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

I think it looks fine. It's minimalistic.

Since I'm the only one looking at it, I'd also be fine with it if it was gray.

Just a non issue for me. I wanted it for the functionality.

I'm not saying this applies to you, OP, but every time I read someone complaining about the ring on the Space Gray, I feel like it's some weird "I want everyone to know I have a 5s" thing.
bunnicula is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:13 AM   #7
acfusion29
Banned

Send a message via AIM to acfusion29
Probably had trouble getting the right colour

Or

Whoever is making the rings messed up and it was too late to change them since the they were already running low on stock
acfusion29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:18 AM   #8
hasenpfeffer
macrumors newbie

I believe the ring is steel and not aluminum. This may have caused a problem with coloring it space gray.
hasenpfeffer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:24 AM   #9
Col Ronson
macrumors 6502a

oh man i never noticed this color. how dare apple not match the ring.

im returning my 5S tomorrow and buying a nokia lumina.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:33 AM   #10
ToroidalZeus
macrumors 65816

yep, part of the reason i returned it.
ToroidalZeus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:35 AM   #11
AceMason
macrumors regular

I wish it did match so it's more prominent like the other colors. You can't even tell it's a 5S from afar.
AceMason is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:39 AM   #12
SPEEDwithJJ
macrumors 65816

I think Apple made the correct decision to go with black for the TouchID ring.

If they use the Space Gray colored ring, wouldn't it be a big distraction when viewing videos of the phone? Similarly, when the Space Gray iPhone's screen is turned off, wouldn't a Space Gray colored ring look out of place whereas the rest of the whole phone is showing the same black color? In both cases, you'll probably not get that "seamless" look that you'll get when the ring is black in color if a Space Gray colored ring is used.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:45 AM   #13
AceMason
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDwithJJ View Post
I think Apple made the correct decision to go with black for the TouchID ring.

If they use the Space Gray colored ring, wouldn't it be a big distraction when viewing videos of the phone? Similarly, when the Space Gray iPhone's screen is turned off, wouldn't a Space Gray colored ring look out of place whereas the rest of the whole phone is showing the same black color? In both cases, you'll probably not get that "seamless" look that you'll get when the ring is black in color if a Space Gray colored ring is used.
But isn't that what's it's like for the phones with the white faces? You don't get the "seamless" look on those either since they chose gold and silver.
AceMason is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:46 AM   #14
Ramio
macrumors 6502

Actually I love the fact you can't see the ring. It makes everything blend beautifully together. Not a fan of the white model for that reason and the fact I've had nothing but black iPhones and I've had them all. Just love the black. So sleek and classy...just like a grand piano ;-) . As far as not being able to tell its a 5s...I don't care. I bought it for me not others.
Ramio is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:58 AM   #15
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMason View Post
But isn't that what's it's like for the phones with the white faces? You don't get the "seamless" look on those either since they chose gold and silver.
Difference is, the white faced iPhones were NEVER seamless with the big black screen up front. So a silver, or gold button to accentuate the home button and stand out does indeed look nice.

However, on the Space Grey iPhone models, everything up front is black. It's seamless, and if the home button ring were space grey, it wouldn't look as clean. When the screen isn't on, everything almost literally disappears up front, and thats one of the beauties of the iPhone.
stephen1108 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:06 AM   #16
AceMason
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1108 View Post
Difference is, the white faced iPhones were NEVER seamless with the big black screen up front. So a silver, or gold button to accentuate the home button and stand out does indeed look nice.

However, on the Space Grey iPhone models, everything up front is black. It's seamless, and if the home button ring were space grey, it wouldn't look as clean. When the screen isn't on, everything almost literally disappears up front, and thats one of the beauties of the iPhone.
Yeah, you're right. I've always bought the black iPhone even this time around but I think I'll go and exchange for a white one to try it out if I can find any in stock.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:17 AM   #17
ToroidalZeus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1108 View Post

It looks ugly man. They should have kept the bezel around the home button space gray like all the promos showed.
ToroidalZeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:19 AM   #18
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

The front of the device is black. Some of us want a black front because we want to minimize distractions. By making the ring black, it minimizes them.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:23 AM   #19
Serban
macrumors 68020

are you sure is black and not grey? the surface of home button is not the same black color like the rest of front of the device
Serban is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:25 AM   #20
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I wish it did match so it's more prominent like the other colors. You can't even tell it's a 5S from afar.
From afar..and that matters how???
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:26 AM   #21
AceMason
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
From afar..and that matters how???
Calm down. I like to show off
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:42 AM   #22
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Calm down. I like to show off
Try a show tune then. Haha
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:04 AM   #23
Serban
macrumors 68020

sorry to say but you are holding a space grey in your hands now? if you standing and looking from top to the front there are some differences..the line that surrounding is more light now and the home button as well
Serban is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:32 AM   #24
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I have not been able to sleep!
Lucille Carter is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 04:13 AM   #25
atlatnesiti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
I have not been able to sleep!
Same here and I don't even have or even plan to have iPhone 5s.
atlatnesiti is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone