Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple announced record-breaking iPhone launch weekend sales of nine million units earlier today, the company did not break down relative sales of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. Analytics firm Localytics has, however, shared some data on usage, revealing that among U.S. users the iPhone 5s is being seen 3.4 times as often as the iPhone 5c.
In less than 3 days, the iPhone 5s and 5c combined now represent about 1.36% of the total numbers of all iPhones activated in the U.S. market across the top 4 carriers AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint and T-Mobile. From the data we are seeing, 1.05% of all iPhones in the United States are now iPhone 5s and just 0.31% are iPhone 5c. That means that the iPhone 5s outshines the 5c by a factor of 3.4x, a clear indicator that the early adopters are favoring the high-end 5s compared to 5c.
iphone_5s_5c_share.jpg
International data shows a similar pattern according to Localytics, with iPhone 5s usage outpacing that of the iPhone 5c by 3.7x, with some countries such as Japan seeing ratios of as high as 5x.

While Apple made the iPhone 5c available for pre-order and has had fairly strong stocks of the device in its retail stores, the iPhone 5s has seen significant shortages, with online orders through Apple's U.S. store currently being quoted October shipping estimates. Gold and silver iPhone 5s models have been in particularly short supply, with even Apple's own retail stores having almost no supply of those devices on launch day.

The disparity in popularity between the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c is unlikely to persist over the long-term, as the iPhone 5s is more likely to be the device of choice for early adopters who made the effort to purchase the device on the launch weekend, while the lower-cost iPhone 5c will likely improve its relative performance over time as the bulk of customers who are likely to be more budget conscious purchase new phones as they become upgrade eligible.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Outsells iPhone 5c by ~3.5x in Launch Weekend According to Analytics Data

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
This doesn't surprise me. Almost everyone in the line I was in was there for a 5s. But I did see quite a few people buying both.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Higher priced phone is more popular? More evidence pointing to why Apple does not need to make a "cheap" phone.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
First weekend sales will skew heavily towards the latest phone - that said, 2-3 mn 5C sold is a big win for Apple. At the end of the day, the margins are likely similar, so Apple is probably agnostic towards the split

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
This doesn't surprise me. Almost everyone in the line I was in was there for a 5s. But I did see quite a few people buying both.

This will even out overtime I can almost guarantee. Launch week people always by top of the line but now when the average persons becomes eligible for updates they will probably go to the 5c for the cheaper price. Personally I held a 5c and found it to be the nicest feeling phone I've ever held for feel and looks

macbd

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
They probably sold about 2 million 5c's. That's not too bad considering it's last year's phone, wrapped in plastic and re-marketed.

Oh yeah... 7 million 5s's sold isn't too terrible either.

Being outsold 3.5 times isn't a fail when there were 9 million phones sold in 3 days.

S

syd430

This is really to be expected. Who is going to clamour to get their hands on a phone that has essentially been out for a year?

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Only because the 'cheap' phone was also very expensive. If it was priced at ~£300-350 off contract, it would sell like hot cakes.

And Apple would make little-no margin on the phone... Unless they downgraded the phone internals

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If people think about this, it isn't all that surprising.

What type of person will be waiting in line for a new iPhone - the type who wants the latest and greatest, aka the iPhone 5S.

Down the line, however, the 5C will likely catch up in popularity as those looking for a "cheaper" upgrade could go for the colorful, durable 5C option.

Way to early to call the 5C a fail or flop as we have no yet reached the time period/consumer base for which the phone was intended.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Obviously anyone who can't wait and needs to buy it on the first day is someone who won't settle for anything but the top of the line phone.

But all those people who just happen to need a new phone, are probably going to get the cheaper one when its time.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
It wasn't cheap enough.

The difference between the 5c and 5s is negligible. Why would you buy a phone with last year's tech, unless there is some benefit in doing so, like the price...

Also the colours are pretty horrible. Only the white one would be subtle enough for most normal people.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Which is what they should've done. The price-orientated market is different from the spec-orientated market.

5c should be 4s internals with 4" screen and Lightning.

Nah - better go with 5 internals as they want to sell this phone effectively for 2 years or more. People can continue to buy the 4S if they choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.