Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
I have performed many searches here and on other sites about this but I cannot come up with a clear answer. I Have an airport Extreme Base station connected to my DSL modem and every thing works fine. What I would like to do is extend the network to another building, I already have cat 5 wire ran between the buildings and I and am adding ethernet ports in each building. I just purchased an Airport express and I would like to connect it to my existing base station vie ethernet. Extending the range wirelessly is not possible. Will this work? There is a ethernet port available on the AE base station has an ethernet port available. Also I plan on sharing my internet connection between a mac and a PC, right now everytime I connect to my network using my PC the Mac losses the internet connection. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
will this not work ?

search apple.com for Dr. Bott ExtendAIR Direct Antenna $149

ExtendAIR Direct focuses the AirPort Extreme Base Station's signal in a narrow direction to extend base station reception up to 500 feet. Ideal for covering large open areas between buildings.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
liketom said:
will this not work ?

search apple.com for Dr. Bott ExtendAIR Direct Antenna $149

ExtendAIR Direct focuses the AirPort Extreme Base Station's signal in a narrow direction to extend base station reception up to 500 feet. Ideal for covering large open areas between buildings.

That might work but if ethernet can work I would rather go that route. I love my Wi-fi but I would rather have a wired connection between the 2 base stations. Also I already have everything for a wired connection, so If I don't have to spend anymore money I would prefer not to. Thanks for the suggestion liketom.:)

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
It will work for sure.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107454
The article talks about using wireless but im sure ethernet will work aswell
Also if you have a computer already connected to the ethernet port on your airport base station you will need to get a hub or switch.
If that didint help you could always just give the express a diffrent wireless netowork name and set up you notebooks to automatically connect to that.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK

Attachments

• 107454_0.jpg
    107454_0.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,196

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
Laser47 said:

Thank you, but that document shows how to extend the network wirelessly but does not show about conneting 2 base stations using ethernet (Unless I missed something). I actually saw that when researching this but I really need something about extending the network using Ethernet not wireless. It is 2 seperate buildings and it won't work wirelessly.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
Laser47 said:
It will work for sure.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107454
The article talks about using wireless but im sure ethernet will work aswell
Also if you have a computer already connected to the ethernet port on your airport base station you will need to get a hub or switch.
If that didint help you could always just give the express a diffrent wireless netowork name and set up you notebooks to automatically connect to that.

I don't have anything connected the the ethernet port on the Airport Extreme base station so maybe it will work. I assume it will I'm just hoping that someone who has done this will respond. But thanks again.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Ramsos said:
I don't have anything connected the the ethernet port on the Airport Extreme base station so maybe it will work. I assume it will I'm just hoping that someone who has done this will respond. But thanks again.
it will work APX base ---- ethernet to APE easy

so much easyier when i can see i picy of the network lol

try it like you say you already have the cat 5 and the base and express

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
liketom said:
it will work APX base ---- ethernet to APE easy

so much easyier when i can see i picy of the network lol

try it like you say you already have the cat 5 and the base and express

I will try it either today or tomorrow, I just have to add the ports to the Cat5 and pick up a couple ethernet cables.;)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Ramsos said:
I will try it either today or tomorrow, I just have to add the ports to the Cat5 and pick up a couple ethernet cables.;)

It will *definitely* work--I'm just not sure how easy. I don't own any airport equipment so I'm not sure if this applies to you, but one suggestion I have if you have trouble making it work is to enable RIP. RIP handles routing tables automatically, and would hopefully be smart enough to figure out to forward all wireless traffic on the express to the ethernet port.

You might also need to setup the 2nd building on a different subnet and then have the express treat its ethernet port like a WAN port (normal operation, I believe) and ask for an external IP by DHCP (also normal?)

Let us know how it goes...this is a question I have about airport express also, except I'd like to extend a linksys AP.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
Ok, here is what I figured out, the second port on the airport extreme is a wide are network conneting (WAN) and it does not send or loop through the internet connection. I ended up buying a Linksys 4 port router and going out to both airports from there but I had trouble with that configuration. So I actually got a signal in the next building from one airport, but not a strong signal. So Just today I set it up as a WDS wireless remote base station and it works. In the process I had to buy a new DSL modem and I bought a Lynksis router that I did not need. Anybody want to but a brand new Linksys 4 port Ethernet router LOL?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.