Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So have not gamed on PCs/Macs at all and was just curious what are the settings I should use? I am playing the racing game Grid. There is ultra low, low, medium, high, ultra.

I know my graphics aren't the greatest as it's a base model but could I get away with the settings on high or would medium be better? Could I jack something up like overheat my Mac if running too high (choppy gameplay maybe)? I have not ran it past medium look forward to your guys response.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
The simple answer is 'suck it and see'!
It's down to you, really. Try at the highest settings first, and start switching things off, or lowering the res if you feel you're not getting the performance you find acceptable.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
So have not gamed on PCs/Macs at all and was just curious what are the settings I should use? I am playing the racing game Grid. There is ultra low, low, medium, high, ultra.

I know my graphics aren't the greatest as it's a base model but could I get away with the settings on high or would medium be better? Could I jack something up like overheat my Mac if running too high (choppy gameplay maybe)? I have not ran it past medium look forward to your guys response.

You will not overheat your iMac - that's not a worry. Just consider the amount of detail that is acceptable for you to play without it being choppy.

Last edited:

atarria

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
heat control

Game settings depend on the graphic demands of each game. Almost any game will increase the heat your machine puts out. My 2011 27" iMac could heat a small room! I protect it from excessive heat by using the fan control software smcFanControl. It offers fan speeds for three internal fans and reveals the temperature of the machine. I have used it in several Macs over the years.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You will not overheat your iMac - that's not a worry. Just consider the amount of detail that is acceptable for you to play without it being choppy.
Ah ok so it'll be choppy is where I should notice it, on medium text is ok but a lil blurry on high it looks good but haven't seen gameplay going to check it out. Thanks guys.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Experiment. Remember that it's just not a matter of resolution, settings like shadows and view distance can have a huge impact. What's really nice are games that scan your system and make settings recommendations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.