Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
My iPhone 5s already has 24 logs in the diagnostic and usage section of the settings -> general -> about

I frequently get a blue screen and then the phone reboots. Frequent, meaning about once every 2-3 hours. I notice it happens more often when I'm switching from one app to another.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
My iPhone 5s already has 24 logs in the diagnostic and usage section of the settings -> general -> about

I frequently get a blue screen and then the phone reboots. Frequent, meaning about once every 2-3 hours. I notice it happens more often when I'm switching from one app to another.

did you set up as a new phone or from a back up

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
i wanted to share the issue and see if anyone else has been experiencing something similar. If I call apple or bring it to a genius bar, i'm sure they will tell me to restore it and set it up as a new device. Anytime I've had an iOS software issue, I have gotten that same instruction from Apple

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
i wanted to share the issue and see if anyone else has been experiencing something similar. If I call apple or bring it to a genius bar, i'm sure they will tell me to restore it and set it up as a new device. Anytime I've had an iOS software issue, I have gotten that same instruction from Apple

Tell them you've done that already, they'll give you a brand new phone.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Never had a reboot with my iPhone 5.
I had just 4-5 with previous iPhone 4S.

Contact apple, I think you got a faulty one.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Are you on 7.0 or 7.0.1?

The 5S and 5C were loaded with iOS 7 before Apple had some of the bugs ironed out and therefore require another update.

The rest were able to get those fixes implemented with the public iOS 7.0 release.

I have the 5S, running 7.0.1 and have had ZERO issue. Battery life is great, fingerprint works great, slomo is fun - everything is silky smooth and lightning quick.

Really couldn't be happier with this phone!

EDIT: I did a restore from a 5 running a beta of iOS 7.0 and have had no issues.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have two iPhone 5 phones, both on 7.0.1, both set up as new.

Neither has ever crashed nor rebooted.

You definitely have some issue as that is not normal for any model of iPhone.

I suggest you get started on having them get you a replacement phone

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA

I'm getting the same thing with a 4S. I realized its Infinity Blade III trying to load/install. I'm not sure if it's the game, or the huge package it comes in.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
my phone crashed and rebooted 4 times within 10 minutes this morning. i have at most 4 apps open and the reboot started while i was switching from one app to another. i have a genius bar appointment tonight for a hardware repair or replacement. i highly doubt they will have another gold 64 GB to replace mine. I will let you know how it is handled

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
Mine is just locking up on me when it's asleep. I'll go to unlock it, and nothing will happen. I have to reset it by holding down the sleep/wake button. It's happened two or three times in the past 48 hours now.

mkstevenskm

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009

Experienced the exact same issue (reboots including a blue screen of death!). Mine occurred when trying to use Airdrop with an iPhone 5 Verizon running iOS 7.0.0.

My Stats:
-iPhone 5s 64 GB AT&T
-Issue occurred on iOS 7.0.1
-iPhone was setup as a new iPhone, no restore or carry forward of past iOS versions.

Since the error only occured during Airdrop, I am hoping it is a software issue and not hardware.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
i had my iPhone replaced, got home and restored from icloud, opened up numbers, switched to another app, .....and..... blue screen and reboot...

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
I worked with a senior apple advisor about the issue this morning. He was able to recreate the issue on a test device and has forwarded the problem to the iOS team. I will update when I find out more information.

sirgromit

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I've had my 5s for a little over 24 hours and just experienced this very thing for the first time while using Apple's Pages app. Had just updated to 7.0.2 as well.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Actually they might not. In fact take all your gear, box etc with you. First week or so of a new launch they are rather keen to get whole units for failure testing. And often so it with a retail swap. They keep a small number of each model aside for this with strict rules that not even the SL can simply sell them.

And even if they aren't doing them as full retails anymore there might still be some issues they have been told to swap right off at this point. Backup, make appt and see what they say.

Also the number of logs isn't the point so much as what type. Some could be simply the system recording a failure to connect to a server and not a real error. Still DO NOT hard restart or restore the phone before the appt. and don't so any software updates. They all tend to erase some or all of the data needed. Let the tech see it before telling you to do restore.

----------

i had my iPhone replaced, got home and restored from icloud, opened up numbers, switched to another app, .....and..... blue screen and reboot...

Curious, does this happen when you switch out of a native app. Or just the iWork's ones.
They haven't been updated, as have several other 'paid' apps. Perhaps that is the issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.