Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple TV 6.0 update that Apple pulled over the weekend is now once again available for download. As noted by 9to5Mac, the updated version carries a build number of 11A502, compared to the old 11A470e version, indicating Apple has made some changes to the software.

Following the software's initial Friday release, there were multiple reports that the update caused critical errors for a number of users, necessitating a full iTunes restore. The newly updated software presumably fixes those issues.

apple_tv_software_6.jpg
The Apple TV's 6.0 software offers a number of new features, including iTunes Radio, iTunes Music Store purchases, iCloud Photo updates, Podcasts, and AirPlay from iCloud. It can be downloaded from via the Update Software tool in the Apple TV settings menu.

Article Link: Fixed Apple TV 6.0 Update Reinstated After Being Pulled for Bricking Issues

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wonder if this will come in for those of us who were successful in getting Friday's update to install.

Off I go to turn it on and find out.

----------

I see there is now an option to update software and another option to automatically update software.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I wonder if this will come in for those of us who were successful in getting Friday's update to install.

Off I go to turn it on and find out.

----------

I see there is now an option to update software and another option to automatically update software.
LMK if it updates from the Friday version and if everything works, if you have time to quote&reply me, would be appreciated :)

bob122989

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
Will be waiting to update software until I see the all clear next time. The new features weren't worth losing the appleTV all weekend.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
So if we succeeded (albeit with difficulty) updating the original software version, do we update again to get a newer build that's potentially free of some problems that might not have manifested ed yet?

======

Update: My initial, first day download had worked, after the "connect via usb to iTunes" exercise. But software update indicated a new update available today. Took about 10 seconds to download, 7-8 minutes to prepare and install. Everything still seems to be working fine.

Last edited:

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
For what it's worth, I just finished updating on an Apple TV (v.3,1) that was updated successfully on Friday.

—

Not sure how I feel about the image banners on some of the newer iTunes Store movie and TV series replacing what used to be the content's name in white text at the top. It takes up a lot of space. Examples: Now You See Me / Walking Dead

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
All done! I just updated the ATV3 and it went much quicker than Friday.
Great thanks!
For what it's worth, I just finished updating on an Apple TV (v.3,1) that was updated successfully on Friday.
Nice! Thanks for the update! THat was very quick! On friday the actual installing 9w.out the download part) took about 15 mins on mine, thought at one point it was frozen, but left it be. Thanks!

Not sure how I feel about the image banners on some of the newer iTunes Store movie and TV series replacing what used to be the content's name in white text at the top. It takes up a lot of space. Examples: Now You See Me / Walking Dead
Thanks for confirmation that update works good!
I could take the new spacing or leave it.

Squirrel

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2001
On the screencapture it says watch VIDEOS from your photostream! Isn't photostream currently limited to photos? This would be great to cache my videos in the cloud and then watch them on AppleTV if this is true. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What exactly is icloud airplay?

The new AirPlay over iCloud functionality allows users to take any purchased iTunes content — such as music, movies or TV episodes — and stream it directly to an Apple TV that may not be configured with their iTunes login credentials. The authentication is instead provided wirelessly by a connected iOS device, like an iPhone or iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.