Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
The Ars Technica article on iOS 7, and some anecdotal evidence suggests that the Verizon CDMA iPhone 5 is affected by the battery life bug, while iPhones from the GSM carriers are not affected.

Thought if conduct an informal poll: if your iPhone 5 is seeing much worse battery life after the iOS 7 update, which carrier are you on?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This may or may not help but I'm on AT&T and I get exceptionally better battery than before. i5 and I would be the first to criticize the battery life if it was subpar .

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
verizon here, and im getting 2-3 hours shorter usage than i was on ios 6. 4-5 hours vs 8-10.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
O2 in the UK and I'm getting 2-2.5 hours less usage time despite two clean installs and all the things we need to switch off, off.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I'm on Verizon and getting significantly shorter battery life after iOS7 :mad:

Finally going to have to resort to carrying my charger with me to work to give a mid-day charge.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
The Ars Technica article on iOS 7, and some anecdotal evidence suggests that the Verizon CDMA iPhone 5 is affected by the battery life bug, while iPhones from the GSM carriers are not affected.

Thought if conduct an informal poll: if your iPhone 5 is seeing much worse battery life after the iOS 7 update, which carrier are you on?

I'm was on an iPhone 5 GSM from AT&T. Battery life in iOS 6 was far superior than that of iOS 7. Just picked up an iPhone 5S, and hopefully the battery will be improved!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Vodafone here in Italy and I'm experiencing a slightly shorter battery life. Unfortunately I'm unable to find out if it's just me using the phone in a different way due to the new iOS (that I love).

LaZyFLiP

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
I usually keep my battery percent off so I'm not always 'monitoring' it but since I've updated to iOS 7, I've started to notice a pretty significant drop in battery life just basing off the battery gauge. I was previously jailbroken and my battery life then was pretty good. I haven't proactively done anything to try to make it any better. I still have all the settings set at pretty much stock configuration. Daily usage is pretty much the same as before. I'll probably start monitoring more closely and see how it all plays out. I'm on AT&T, BTW.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
You know what i think its sucks more because im using it more. Ios 7 is just so fresh for me. Once i go back to using my phone normally the battery should be fine.

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
AT&T - worse

My phone has died or nearly died each evening since the update. This rarely if ever happened before. My iPhone is usually charging from 10 pm to 6 am. I do use my phone quite a bit.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hmm, I guess there may be no carrier specific bug then, since CDMA and GSM phones are affected. Hope there's a patch for this soon.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Also with O2 here in the UK..battery life seems about the same as it was under 6....Using an IP5 32GB which is up for sale. Waiting on my Gold 5S!

That's crazy. With iOS6 my phone performed flawlessly but now, even after two clean installs, the battery life is tragic.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I’m with EE but my problems appear to be hardware related.

After speaking to Apple at the weekend, it’s agreed to replace the battery or handset. I ran a diagnostic tool via the Support site (when booking a call) which indicated a hardware problem – and when I spoke to the advisor, another one was run. I also advised that I had calibrated the battery and tried a fresh install – and when I was then asked about screen brightness, confirmed that I have it on low as I don’t like it bright!

Before upgrading, I suspect that battery life had been getting worse but hadn’t thought much of it as it wasn’t impacting on how I used it (i.e. I wasn’t having to charge noticeably than normal) although I thought it didn’t seem to be as strong as usual. In future, I’ll be paying more attention!

As well as lower battery life, the battery left indicator is a lot more off than previous – for example, when it went down to 10% yesterday, the iPhone almost immediately turned itself off.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
AT&T and its much shorter.

Anyone see the Ars Technica review on iOS 7? For some reason the iPhone 5 on iOS 7 fared the worst out of every model of phone. It was so bad they ran the test twice just to be sure.

"Nothing does as poorly as the iPhone 5, though. It’s not even close. The iOS 7 numbers were so bad that I assumed I made some kind of mistake, so I completely re-flashed the phone and ran our test again with the same result, nearly down to the minute (I then did the same with iOS 6 to confirm). Our Verizon iPhone 5 running iOS 7 burns through its battery more than three hours faster than the exact same phone performing the exact same test with the exact same settings under iOS 6. Other devices lose little enough that most people probably won’t notice the problem, but it’s puzzling that Apple’s most recent flagship is so negatively impacted. We hope it doesn’t bode poorly for the largely identical iPhone 5C."

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
AT&T and its much shorter.

Anyone see the Ars Technica review on iOS 7? For some reason the iPhone 5 on iOS 7 fared the worst out of every model of phone. It was so bad they ran the test twice just to be sure.

"Nothing does as poorly as the iPhone 5, though. It’s not even close. The iOS 7 numbers were so bad that I assumed I made some kind of mistake, so I completely re-flashed the phone and ran our test again with the same result, nearly down to the minute (I then did the same with iOS 6 to confirm). Our Verizon iPhone 5 running iOS 7 burns through its battery more than three hours faster than the exact same phone performing the exact same test with the exact same settings under iOS 6. Other devices lose little enough that most people probably won’t notice the problem, but it’s puzzling that Apple’s most recent flagship is so negatively impacted. We hope it doesn’t bode poorly for the largely identical iPhone 5C."

Maybe that's why they replaced the 5 with the 5C.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
If so then they have a duty of care to iPhone 5 owners. We are a huge group and the next 'batch' of upgraders when our contracts come up for renewal. This is my third iPhone and it will be my last unless Apple sort this battery life out. The iPhone 5 was Apple's flagship and it was still their top of the range handset only one week ago. I have had nothing but problems with the i5. My first three were badly scratched out of the box and I experienced hassle in swapping them. The one I have now has loose volume buttons but I put up with them as I considered myself 'lucky' that at least I didn't have any scratches. This just wasn't good enough for a £600 handset! Now some three months into ownership, Apple see fit to release an operating system which has knocked over 2 hours off my battery usage time. This is frankly scandalous and have they acknowledged the problem? No, they remain silent as always so we don't even know if a fix is coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.