Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi,

I've been reading many posts here about the tmobile contract free being unlocked or not.

If it does come unlocked can I just place the non-activated nano sim (tmobile's) and run a factory reset and expect the "congrats your phone is unlocked" msg should come up?

Does one have to place a working sim to reset the iphone? Kindly let me know!

Thanks in advance

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Hi,

I've been reading many posts here about the tmobile contract free being unlocked or not.

If it does come unlocked can I just place the non-activated nano sim (tmobile's) and run a factory reset and expect the "congrats your phone is unlocked" msg should come up?

Thanks in advance

no. plug into ITunes, click restore iPhone, you should get message. some people get the message without restoring.

These are the ones sold at the apple store only. Im not sure but i think the ones sold from tmobile are actually locked.

bluecity

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013
no. plug into ITunes, click restore iPhone, you should get message. some people get the message without restoring.

These are the ones sold at the apple store only. Im not sure but i think the ones sold from tmobile are actually locked.

Yes you are right, the onse sold from tmobile are locked even you pay the full price for it (16-32-64gb $649--$749- or $849).

I bought two iPhone 5s 32gb from tmobile and i found out that they were locked to tmobile.
I did try all ways to get them unlocked, but i was told by customer care that i
will have to keep tmobile service active 40 days to get them unlocked .

mramos8

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
Yes you are right, the onse sold from tmobile are locked even you pay the full price for it (16-32-64gb $649--$749- or $849).

I bought two iPhone 5s 32gb from tmobile and i found out that they were locked to tmobile.

I bought 2 iPhones 5S from apple store online TMOBILE Contract free and they both are UNLOCKED! I put a AT&T sim and everything works fine!

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
Hi,

Thanks in advance

See my thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1649517/

The phone is already unlocked right out of the box. You don't need to factory reset nor do you need to see the "congrats ..." message. Just put the sim card you want to use into the phone and you're good to go.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
Before launch day I went to a Tmo store. The rep was good and clearly stated that phones sold through their stores are locked. To unlock you need to stay with them with your phone active for 40 days and, if you are on prepaid, with at least 50 dollars spent on that line. Phones sold through apple are unlocked out of the box ( bought mine online and received tuesday) no need to restore by iTunes, they work straight out of the box.

FlyUnlock.com

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013

Yeah, exactly. As long as you buy them from T-Mobile and not Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.