Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I have a couple of items in trash that will not delete.

I get this error message :-

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003).

I have tried Force Empty and repairing Permissions to no avail.

Thanks.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Well, you can use the terminal and delete them yourself:

cd .Trash
rm ./*

(just make sure that before you execute the 2nd command, you are indeed in the .Trash directory)

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
A small utility program called TrashIt will achieve the same, without the risk of using Terminal

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I had this a while back and tracked the issue down to my Pegasus R4's firmware which has since been updated..It first started asking me for my system password to confirm delete. Then placed the items in the trash but I couldn't remove them..not even using terminal.

I did a little digging around and discovered that my trashes folders had been deleted:eek: I replaced them using mkdir in terminal, and updated the Pegasus's firmware...Haven't had an issue since, but even if you aren't using an external, I'd check to make sure those trashes items are where they should be.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Well, you can use the terminal and delete them yourself:

cd .Trash
rm ./*

(just make sure that before you execute the 2nd command, you are indeed in the .Trash directory)

Thanks for this, I am not a good terminal person, but will keep this for further information :)

----------

A small utility program called TrashIt will achieve the same, without the risk of using Terminal

Thanks for this, more my type of thing, it did the trick :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.