Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
now that we have direct access to the brightness slider from anywhere i've started keeping the brightness set to manual. i find that the brightness doesn't adjust well when on auto.

anyone else doing this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Auto never seemed to adjust too well regardless of what version of iOS I had. I always manually adjust the brightness - just my $.02

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
now that we have direct access to the brightness slider from anywhere i've started keeping the brightness set to manual. i find that the brightness doesn't adjust well when on auto.

anyone else doing this?

I never used Autobrightness...always used the manual control.

That's the way it is with us control freaks!:p

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Auto never seemed to adjust too well regardless of what version of iOS I had. I always manually adjust the brightness - just my $.02

I never used Autobrightness...always used the manual control.

That's the way it is with us control freaks!:p

Agreed. I've always done manual control too. I had to turn off the auto control as iOS 7 seemed to turn it back on.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

anyone else doing this?

Nope, I find auto brightness works great most of the time, but I do appreciate the possibility of fine tuning without having to go through the Settings app.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I never liked how auto brightness managed the levels but I was too lazy to dig into the menu to change it. Now that it's so accessible I find it much nicer to manage brightness.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Manual here. Bright 80% of the time, dim for early mornings and late nights ;)

Much more accessible than ios 6.. volume too.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Depends on the phone. My iP5 Auto Brightness always works really well, on both iOS6 and iOS7
My wife's iP4 running iOS6 adjusts up but does not adjust down. She hasn't upgraded yet so can't comment about an iP4 running iOS7

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Manual here. Bright 80% of the time, dim for early mornings and late nights ;)

Much more accessible than ios 6.. volume too.

Yeah that's true. I definitely had to go in and turn the volume down before watching a YouTube or vine video at work. Now it's so easy.

What so the folks who manually update brightness keep it at most of the time.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Depends on the phone. My iP5 Auto Brightness always works really well, on both iOS6 and iOS7
My wife's iP4 running iOS6 adjusts up but does not adjust down. She hasn't upgraded yet so can't comment about an iP4 running iOS7

Funny the brightness on my 4 used to adjust down and then not go up. Perfect on the 5S though, I had control centre open when stepping from a dark room indoors to outside, and the brightness switch on the phone literally dragged itself all the way to the top

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I tried going through a reset of the auto brightness feature and I feel like it's worse now. Sticking to manual.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

anyone else doing this?

Do this:

1. Turn auto brightness off and slide the brightness all the way down to 0%.
2. Go into a dark room.
3. Turn auto brightness back on.

After auto-adjusting it should work better moving forward.

P.S. Also make sure the area where the light sensor isn't smeared or covered by a screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.