Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last October, Apple began construction on the first phase of its Prineville, Oregon data center, a project ultimately planned to include two 338,000 square-foot data center buildings on 160 acres.

prineville_data_center.jpg
First phase of Apple's Prineville data center under construction in February 2013 (Randy L. Rasmussen/The Oregonian)
But as reported by the Central Oregonian late last week and covered in The Oregonian today, Apple appears to be looking to add an additional 96 acres to its holdings in the area. While no deal has been struck, officials with the City of Prineville and Crook County are looking to make zoning and other changes to the property so that a deal can be completed quickly.
Though [assistant planning director for Crook County Phil] Stenbeck declined to identify the company behind Project Pillar by name, it's plainly Apple.

The property awaiting transfer is covered by the same tax break agreement that Apple now operates under. And Stenbeck said Pillar previously went by the code name Maverick -- that's the name Apple used last year when it paid $5.6 million to buy 160 acres of Crook County land for its first Prineville data center.
The property in question is also inaccessible without traveling through Apple's property, making it all but certain that Apple would be the only entity interested in acquiring it.

Apple has been on a data center building boom in recent years, opening a large facility in Maiden, North Carolina and moving forward on both the Prineville project in Oregon and another facility near Reno, Nevada.

Apple's push into new data centers comes amid continued growth of Apple's digital stores, as well as growing iCloud services that require significant server capacity for Apple. The company has committed to using 100% renewable energy at its data centers, building its own solar farms and fuel cell facilities in some cases and in other cases sourcing wind and hyrdroelectric power from local providers.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Buy More Land for Oregon Data Center

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I must need coffee. I initially read that as "Apple looking to buy Oregon" and found it plausible enough.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I hope all these Data Centers being built by Apple don't result in Apple steering us towards a world where ALL our data/apps are "in the cloud".

If so, I could see a day when owning a Mac with no way to plug in external (private) drives would be forced on us as Apple is well known for forcing sudden turns in how things are done.

And remember, the "cloud" is just a euphemism for "YOUR data on SOMEONE ELSE's drive"...and with the creepy NSA lurking in the background, they would have access not only to all the data that goes in/out of your computer via your ISP, but now they also would have access to the data you have ONLY on your hard drives. In other words, they would now have EVERYTHING on you. And there is no encryption they can't break, either by coercing companies to comply or otherwise.

If it goes down this way Apple should change their name to Hoover....

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
They should be building underground.

Or on a ship in the ocean. Wave power. Satellites. Ooh. IN SPACE. iSpaceCloud

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Highly doubt that the above photo is of the building that will house the servers, theres no way anyone would use those construction materials or methods for a datacenter these days.

That looks more like the services building, housing staff facilities, power/backup systems, heat recovery, etc.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I hope all these Data Centers being built by Apple don't result in Apple steering us towards a world where ALL our data/apps are "in the cloud".

If so, I could see a day when owning a Mac with no way to plug in external (private) drives would be forced on us as Apple is well known for forcing sudden turns in how things are done.

And remember, the "cloud" is just a euphemism for "YOUR data on SOMEONE ELSE's drive"...and with the creepy NSA lurking in the background, they would have access not only to all the data that goes in/out of your computer via your ISP, but now they also would have access to the data you have ONLY on your hard drives. In other words, they would now have EVERYTHING on you. And there is no encryption they can't break, either by coercing companies to comply or otherwise.

If it goes down this way Apple should change their name to Hoover....

I don't want this to happen, nor do I think it will. We, the customers, need to put our foot down when it comes to cloud apps and data storage. The consumer is the most powerful force for a company. If we tell Adobe by not buying their cloud suite, they will change their practices, so will Apple, Microsoft, etc..

Examples are how Microsoft changed practices with Xbox. Or how consumers prevented Bank of America for charging debit transactions and $5 replacement cards.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The commitment to using 100% renewable energy for the data center is something environmentalists can applaud. Which makes it ironic that they have to remove those trees to build the data center.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Highly doubt that the above photo is of the building that will house the servers, theres no way anyone would use those construction materials or methods for a datacenter these days.

That looks more like the services building, housing staff facilities, power/backup systems, heat recovery, etc.

They wouldn't use concrete to build a data center? I don't think they could get a block of aluminum big enough to mill a unibody design. :rolleyes:

J.acks

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
I was wondering why they are buying more land? Isn't it more sustainable if they expand their current data center vertically and/or horizontally?

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Apple should ask NSA for free server space... or if not then get some distance between NSA and them.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
Might sound completely normal for somebody from Oregon, but "Trust us, we have data centers in Crook County"... sounds a bit irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.