Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
The AT&T Next Plan affects all people who purchase 2nd hand AT&T iPhones.

Like the T-Mobile Jump Program, once the owner of the phone stops payment, YOUR PHONE WILL GET BLACKLISTED. Once blacklisted the iPhone essentially becomes a very expensive iPod Touch.

Here is what scam artists are doing:

What scam artists are doing is opening up as many lines as they can, and then they STOP MAKING MONTHLY PAYMENTS. All you have to pay in order to get an iPhone on the Next Plan is the first month payment and the activation fee I believe. So essentially, people can have iPhones in possession for roughly $50 dollars OTD. Before AT&T blacklists the iPhones because of non-payments, they are sold on eBay or Craigslist. Easy money for a scam artist who doesn't care about his credit and is just looking for some quick cash.

To make matters worse, people can purchase the Asurion insurance, claim their phones "lost," and repeat this process several more times for EVERY phone on their plan. These phones become blacklisted, financed iPhones, that are reported lost, and are now banned from using on any carrier.

If you must buy an AT&T iPhone from eBay, Craigslist, or any other market place, remember to check with AT&T that the phone is PAID OFF IN FULL. It doesn't matter if a phone is still sealed in the box, it can still be a financed phone using the AT&T Next Plan.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
The AT&T Next Plan affects all people who purchase 2nd hand AT&T iPhones.

Like the T-Mobile Jump Program, once the owner of the phone stops payment, YOUR PHONE WILL GET BLACKLISTED. Once blacklisted the iPhone essentially becomes a very expensive iPod Touch.

Here is what scam artists are doing:

What scam artists are doing is opening up as many lines as they can, and then they STOP MAKING MONTHLY PAYMENTS. All you have to pay in order to get an iPhone on the Next Plan is the first month payment and the activation fee I believe. So essentially, people can have iPhones in possession for roughly $50 dollars OTD. Before AT&T blacklists the iPhones because of non-payments, they are sold on eBay or Craigslist. Easy money for a scam artist who doesn't care about his credit and is just looking for some quick cash.

To make matters worse, people can purchase the Asurion insurance, claim their phones "lost," and repeat this process several more times for EVERY phone on their plan. These phones become blacklisted, financed iPhones, that are reported lost, and are now banned from using on any carrier.

If you must buy an AT&T iPhone from eBay, Craigslist, or any other market place, remember to check with AT&T that the phone is PAID OFF IN FULL. It doesn't matter if a phone is still sealed in the box, it can still be a financed phone using the AT&T Next Plan.

IMEI will be your best friend here. Not sure if ATT will release any info, though.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
I hate people. As I mentioned earlier, honest people pick up the tab because of this stuff in one way or another.

Can people just go to work like regular people and stop screwing us over?

Edit: Obviously these guys have questionable credit to begin with, WHY on earth is att mindlessly selling them multiple iPhones? This world...

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
IMEI will be your best friend here. Not sure if ATT will release any info, though.

What do you mean IMEI will be your best friend?

A clean IMEI today can turn into a dirty IMEI several months later. It doesn't matter if you have AT&T check the IMEI at the time of purchase.

Unless the owner of the phone is with you, AT&T will also NOT tell you if the phone has been paid off.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
So basically: ALWAYS meet at a AT&T store and talk to a CS rep to verify it's not on NEXT plan before buying anything on CL.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

This is the best bet. When I sold my iPhone 5 to this guy. He was calling AT&T to verify the phone was legit, while I was putting my tester to the $100 bills he gave me. Always take all precautions.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
What do you mean IMEI will be your best friend?

A clean IMEI today can turn into a dirty IMEI several months later. It doesn't matter if you have AT&T check the IMEI at the time of purchase.

Unless the owner of the phone is with you, AT&T will also NOT tell you if the phone has been paid off.

Meaning, at the very least you can ASK for the IMEI before giving someone $ and call AT&T to find out if it has been black listed. You're right though, there is no reason the seller can't just report it "stolen" afterwards. Why would the seller do this though? They do not have possession of the phone anymore so they get nothing out of it. Unless they just want to be evil.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Meaning, at the very least you can ASK for the IMEI before giving someone $ and call AT&T to find out if it has been black listed.

You are correct, at the very LEAST this is what everyone can do.

But please realize that this in no way protects you for when the original owner of the phone stops payment or reports the phone as lost (although I think lost doesn't automatically lead to blacklisting on AT&T)!

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
You are correct, at the very LEAST this is what everyone can do.

But please realize that this in no way protects you for when the original owner of the phone stops payment or reports the phone as lost (although I think lost doesn't automatically lead to blacklisting on AT&T)!

not AT&T NEXT, but i know someone who had insurance on a t-mobile phone and he lost it. he said the insurance company files a police report and considers the phone stolen if anyone tries to use it

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
This seems more than a little far fetched, firstly the scammer would need an identity that had good credit in order to qualify for AT&T Next and then I'm sure they wouldn't be able to get a large number of phones on that same account so in order to get a large number of phones they would need to have a large number of stolen identities and if you were in that "business" then I'm sure you have better things to do then mess around with AT&T Next leaving a large trail behind you.

AT&T Next also hasn't been around that long and certainly the new iPhones haven't been released long enough for this to be an issue as you would have to miss the first monthly payment and then not pay it for considerably longer after for them to blacklist the phone.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I hate people. As I mentioned earlier, honest people pick up the tab because of this stuff in one way or another.

Can people just go to work like regular people and stop screwing us over?

Edit: Obviously these guys have questionable credit to begin with, WHY on earth is att mindlessly selling them multiple iPhones? This world...

I don't think they have questionable credit, I think they have no, or very little credit at all. It's painlessly easy for an 18-22 year old with no job to get an iPhone these days...

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I don't think they have questionable credit, I think they have no, or very little credit at all. It's painlessly easy for an 18-22 year old with no job to get an iPhone these days...

No it isn't, they would need to front a substantial security deposit without good enough credit.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I think the chances of these "scams" are very limited.

There are bigger scams to be had than risking your credit over $700 iphones x 4-5 iphones.

If you are going to ruin your credit. It much easier just to ring up a $20K credit card bill and default on it and declare BK and without legal consequences.

And people buying phones on ATT Next or Verizon EDGE need to have better credit scores to began with. Most shady people already have poor credit scores to began with.

And in these day and age, where cell phone numbers can be tracked. Where IP internet addresses can be traced very easily by the police with craigslist ads, it's simply not worth the trouble with ATT Next or Verizon EDGE.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
This is also why folks must buy off ebay and never via craigslist. They buyer at least has some protection via ebay.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
This is also why folks must buy off ebay and never via craigslist. They buyer at least has some protection via ebay.

There are numerous eBay scams that screw over the seller though :(

I couldn't handle the thought that I would:
1) mail my iphone to someone
2) get confirmation that it was delivered
3) have that person initiate a return/refund
4) send me back a broken iPhone they already had and were wanting to replace with a new one
5) have paypal take the side of the buyer and give the person who still has my phone his money back

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There are numerous eBay scams that screw over the seller though :(

I couldn't handle the thought that I would:
1) mail my iphone to someone
2) get confirmation that it was delivered
3) have that person initiate a return/refund
4) send me back a broken iPhone they already had and were wanting to replace with a new one
5) have paypal take the side of the buyer and give the person who still has my phone his money back

I had a similar scare last week.
As soon as the buyer got the phone he opened a case for not as described product and funds froze.
Then he said there was scratches in the back when I posted tons of pics with the normal wear and tear of daily use. In other words he made up some bs in order to get the phone cheaper than the price of the auction. I was afraid he'd send back an empty box so I offered him $20 to close the case but he wanted $60.
eBay is full of a bunch of bs scammer buyers and PayPal and eBay always side with the buyer. So you gotta sit there and take the loss while paying them 12-13% of the value of your item.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I had a similar scare last week.
As soon as the buyer got the phone he opened a case for not as described product and funds froze.
Then he said there was scratches in the back when I posted tons of pics with the normal wear and tear of daily use. In other words he made up some bs in order to get the phone cheaper than the price of the auction. I was afraid he'd send back an empty box so I offered him $20 to close the case but he wanted $60.
eBay is full of a bunch of bs scammer buyers and PayPal and eBay always side with the buyer. So you gotta sit there and take the loss while paying them 12-13% of the value of your item.

Wow, I am real sorry to hear AppleJuiced. Talked about an ****** up situation :(

What did you end up doing? Hope you made it out ok and didn't have to pay the $60.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
I've buy a lot of bad ESN iPhones, take them to the apple store making up something is wrong with it, they replace it, I'm handed a clean ESN/IMEI iPhone, sell them on CL/eBay/Amazon, ??????, profit?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Thats why i sold my 32gb verizon iphone 5 to Gazelle for $340. Even if i could sell it for $450 on ebay, take 12% off you owe ebay and you are down to about $400 profit unless someone tries to scam you. Plus with Gazelle you can keep the cable and charger from your iphone and it doesn't affect price. So that's another $38 if you bought from Apple.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I think the chances of these "scams" are very limited.

There are bigger scams to be had than risking your credit over $700 iphones x 4-5 iphones.

If you are going to ruin your credit. It much easier just to ring up a $20K credit card bill and default on it and declare BK and without legal consequences.

And people buying phones on ATT Next or Verizon EDGE need to have better credit scores to began with. Most shady people already have poor credit scores to began with.

And in these day and age, where cell phone numbers can be tracked. Where IP internet addresses can be traced very easily by the police with craigslist ads, it's simply not worth the trouble with ATT Next or Verizon EDGE.

Most of us here on MR would never do such a thing, but how about those people making minimum wage? I don't know about your area, but my craigslist are full of sketch people who are illiterate.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
For all of you who think that programs like Next and Edge are rip offs- this is why they exist. I'd much rather pay a bit more to have a new phone and NOT have to be part of the eBay, CL world and sell my phone. We had a local case not long ago where a guy was buying iPhones on CL and met someone to buy a phone and they pulled a gun and shot him and took his money. Not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.