Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
My 1 year apple warranty on my retina MBP is about to run out, I bought it with my VISA(canadian) which doubles the manufacturer warranty on purchases so I should be covered for another year through VISA. Has anyone dealt with getting repairs covered through visa extended warranty?

If it's a pain to do I will probably be better off buying applecare, but if it is as simple as regular warranty coverage I don't know if the $380 is worth it to get applecare for just the 1 year of additional coverage. I've just had the screen replaced last week and my 1 year runs out in a few days.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
I know that, but if I am already covered for a 2nd year through VISA I will essentially only be getting 1 year of coverage with extended applecare that I would not have had without it.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I don't have any experience with it, but the details and requirements are laid out in your terms. it's basically an insurance policy and you have to submit a number of documents (Receipt, billing statement, repair estimate from authorized repair center, etc) along with the claim form. The procedure is likely slightly different from bank to bank, so you should contact your bank/card company and ask for the details.

AppleCare is definitely less trouble but you do pay for that convenience over the free coverage from your credit card.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Judging by some past posts I searched here (found one about amex) the process would be similar to out of warranty repairs, you take it in and get an estimate. Then call VISA and send them a copy of the estimate, after a couple days they are supposed to credit your card for the amount of the repairs. Seems easy enough in theory, now to decide if 1 more year of coverage is good enough or to spring $380 for 2 years.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
I would say the apple care would be a better option. I do not know if visa would provide you world wide services in case you travel to another country.
Secondly with applecare the only thing you need to do is take it in and get it back after repairs.
However if you do not intend to keep the laptop after 2 years and you are fine with the procedures to claim from visa then go with visa but do find out how many warranty claims are allowed.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It's my understanding that credit cards that do this are more of a reimbursement plan than they are like a warranty. I bought mine with my Discover card, which also has a year of extended warranty. My understanding is that the full purchase cost had to be charged to the card when the item was bought. If a repair is needed, you get it repaired, charging the repair to the Discover card, then submit the bill to them for review and credit to your card.

Your best bet? Call your card to find out exactly how it works.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know if the $380 is worth it to get applecare for just the 1 year of additional coverage.
Shop around. Apple isn't the only source for AppleCare.

I know that, but if I am already covered for a 2nd year through VISA I will essentially only be getting 1 year of coverage with extended applecare that I would not have had without it.
Not exactly. AppleCare isn't just parts and labor but tech support as well which Visa isn't providing you. Not sure if it matters to you but AppleCare includes global repair support. I don't know what Visa's coverage is like. AppleCare also includes mail-in repair. AppleCare is transferable if you sell your Macbook. Details are on Apple's site. Compare the details on the two.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
FWIW, I used my Visa Signature extended warranty to get a Canon camera repaired. Short version: set up a repair with Canon, paid the repair, and then sent the invoice to Visa and they reimbursed me.

I assume it would be similar for Apple - send in to Apple for repair, pay for the repair, and then submit the claim to Visa. the only bad part is that you have to pay out of pocket first and then wait for Visa to pay you back.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Has anyone dealt with getting repairs covered through visa extended warranty?

Yes. iPhone power button broke about 1.2 years in. Took it to Apple Store Genius Bar for repair. They "fixed" it by swapping for a refurb and charged me $200.

Went to VISA website and downloaded the claim form and filled it out. As required, I also attached a copy of the repair invoice and a copy of the dated receipt for iPhone purchase. (I could not find my receipt any more, but I went back to the Apple Store where they looked it up and reprinted it for me.) I mailed the forms to Visa.

About 3 weeks later my claim was approved and I got the $200 from Visa.

So there are a few hoops you have to jump through, but they are reasonable.

Reactions: Ener Ji
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.