Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I have a WD storage drive that was either used for extra room for a TiVo or as storage for files from an old Windows desktop. I have 2 of them, so I am not sure which has what. Where do I go on my Macbook to find this drive? It's connected using USB. Even if I can't read files from it, shouldn't it at least detect that it's connected? Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Open the Finder (icon below) in your Dock and you should see the connected drives under the devices section at the top left.

If that does not work, try starting Disk Utility and see if they are recognized. If you intend to use them solely on your Mac you will want to reformat the drives to Mac OS Extended while in Disk Util. Of course this will erase an data on the drives.

cKdt0NN.png

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Open the Finder (icon below) in your Dock and you should see the connected drives under the devices section at the top left.

If that does not work, try starting Disk Utility and see if they are recognized. If you intend to use them solely on your Mac you will want to reformat the drives to Mac OS Extended while in Disk Util. Of course this will erase an data on the drives.

cKdt0NN.png

Ok, I had been in Finder and did not see a 'devices' option. Where am I looking for that? Is is in Applications, or on the left under 'Favorites'? I tried the disk utility and all it sees is my internal drive. I don't necessarily need to use the drives right now, but I need to see what's on them. Ugh....I feel so dumb! Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok, I had been in Finder and did not see a 'devices' option. Where am I looking for that? Is is in Applications, or on the left under 'Favorites'? I tried the disk utility and all it sees is my internal drive. I don't necessarily need to use the drives right now, but I need to see what's on them. Ugh....I feel so dumb! Thanks

Devices would be on the left above favorites. Open Finder then command-comma to bring up preferences and make sure you have external disks checked in the devices section at the bottom.

9aONWnZ.png

Even if you don't see them in Finder, you should see them in disk utility though. :confused:

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Devices would be on the left above favorites. Open Finder then command-comma to bring up preferences and make sure you have external disks checked in the devices section at the bottom.

9aONWnZ.png

Even if you don't see them in Finder, you should see them in disk utility though. :confused:

Ok, I checked off external drives but still nothing is showing up, even in disk utility. I am so used to finding all options within the window that I keep forgetting to go up to the top left of the browser for more options :rolleyes:

The other drive I have uses a SATA connection and that seems to be the only one. It was probably only used for a TiVo and that's why there's only one connection :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok, I checked off external drives but still nothing is showing up, even in disk utility. I am so used to finding all options within the window that I keep forgetting to go up to the top left of the browser for more options :rolleyes:

The other drive I have uses a SATA connection and that seems to be the only one. It was probably only used for a TiVo and that's why there's only one connection :confused:

Hmmm... try Disk Utility again and look in the File menu and click Mount. See if that picks it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.