Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 24, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
CivCX
macrumors newbie

Is my MacBook Air running hotter than normal?

I have a 2013 11" MacBook Air (i5/8GB/128) running Windows 8 Pro through Boot Camp. According to Core Temp, my temperature is around 57-61 when I'm doing vey light work (PowerPoint and internet only). Is this normal? Seems quite hot to me and the underside is quite hot to the touch.
CivCX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2
ha1o2surfer
macrumors regular

Not at all, those temps are quite comfortable... just not for your skin
ha1o2surfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:02 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivCX View Post
I have a 2013 11" MacBook Air (i5/8GB/128) running Windows 8 Pro through Boot Camp. According to Core Temp, my temperature is around 57-61 when I'm doing vey light work (PowerPoint and internet only). Is this normal? Seems quite hot to me and the underside is quite hot to the touch.
Those temperatures are quite normal. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
Quote:
The bottom of your Mac notebook may become very warm during normal use. If your notebook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation.
Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.
Learn about the fans in your Mac
Mac Portables: Operating temperature
For Flash-related issues:
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 08:08 AM   #4
ha1o2surfer
macrumors regular

I see you always post the same thing. Actually, this is where Intel Speed Step comes into play. The CPU's do not just shut off when they reach their TJ. They start to throttle to help the cooling system gain control over the heat again. They throttle until they hit their lowest base clock. If temps do not improve or start to get higher than 212F again (at the CPU's lowest base clock) , then the CPU could initiate a thermal shutdown because this can be seen as a cooling system malfunction.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha1o2surfer View Post
I see you always post the same thing. Actually, this is where Intel Speed Step comes into play. The CPU's do not just shut off when they reach their TJ. They start to throttle to help the cooling system gain control over the heat again. They throttle until they hit their lowest base clock. If temps do not improve or start to get higher than 212F again (at the CPU's lowest base clock) , then the CPU could initiate a thermal shutdown because this can be seen as a cooling system malfunction.
I post the same thing because it's true. The CPUs start to throttle below TjMax, not at it.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
ha1o2surfer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I post the same thing because it's true. The CPUs start to throttle below TjMax, not at it.
They throttle voltages, right. I should have clarified. My mistake, then they throttle clock speeds.

Thanks for the catch.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air