Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetmaster114

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
I just ripped my first blu-ray disk using MakeMKV and then Handbrake 0.9.9. In Handbrake I used the default settings from the AppleTV 3 preset. When I added the resulting mp4 file to my iTunes library it said that the video resolution was "High Definition (720p). The Handbrake settings says the source was 1920 x 1080 and the output is 1920 x 818. The file size for a 1 hr 50 min movie is 6.9 GB.

Why did I end up with a 720p movie and how can I get it to be 1080p?

Thanks,

Jeff

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Use Subler to correct the format metadata in mp4 file!
PS your movie is still 1080p, just the tag in iTunes is wrong, due to above.

jetmaster114

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
How do I use Subler to do that? That's ALL I want it to do so do I need some long involved processing intensive run like Handbrake to do it? Thanks.

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Honestly, if you're not worried about tagging your movies with metadata you don't need to do anything. It still is a 1080p movie, even if iTunes doesn't say it is. Tagging it won't change how it plays back at all.

If you do want to add metadata, with subler it's pretty easy to change just one thing. Just drop the file into subler, and find the "Other Settings" tab. There should be an option to tag it as 1080p there (forgive me, but I'm not on my Mac right now so I can't look up the exact setting/wording). Once you do that just save and close subler. When you look up the info in iTunes again it should be fixed.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Here you go!
An1S8.png

PS be sure to download the latest version (currently 0.23), it will fetch all metadata and cover art directly from iTunes Store, if you tell it to!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.