Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I guess I knew that this would happen:

Two weeks after Apple's September 10th reveal of a champagne-colored iPhone, Samsung is launching its own golden phone in the shape of a new Gold Edition Galaxy S4. There are two options, Gold Pink or Gold Brown, which Samsung is proudly showing off on its United Arab Emirates social media outlets. It's doubtful that these handsets will make it to a global distribution — they look to be targeted at the same well-off demographic that might consider buying a handset like the Nokia Oro — but the important thing is that Samsung can now claim to also have a golden flagship product.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4769086/samsung-counters-iphone-5s-with-a-golden-galaxy-s4

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Gotta admire Samsungs balls for trying to seize the moment.

There's a reason why the Galaxy line took off in the first place, and not because there weren't other Android rivals on the market.

APhillyApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
LOL @ Samsung!! They are quite pathetic. I cant quit laughing at the blatant copycat nature of this company. They want to be Apple so bad, they cant stand themselves. Let the spinning begin!

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Another Samsung device "inspired" by Apple. What's next, S-TouchID?

I thought they would've at least waited until the S5 to do a gold phone.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well this is pathetic. Liked the s3 but loosing lots of respect for samsung.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung added 2 colors to the s3 mid cycle also last year.this is not something new with Samsung .its a mid cycle face lift.

Last year they added red and brown to the gs3

Now they added pink and gold vs red and brown

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't have a god. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that Samsung doesn't care, they just want their name slapped on anything and everything they can manufacture. They're not worried about infringing on anyone's patents, they don't care whether they're just a big copycat of everyone else. They do it because they can. They lose a lawsuit, who cares? That's a day's worth of paycheck for them.

It's a disgusting way of doing business, and in the end, the only one who suffers is the companies like Apple and Dyson. Which is alright to them because the more they push money into these lawsuits, the less money they have overall, which will lead to financial trouble, and boom, they're gone and that's just the empty space where Samsung can line up 500 different models of the same crap to profit from.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I hope you're not insinuating that after watching Apple's keynote they rushed to get "gold" into their lineup vs already having it on the roadmap...

But was it added to the roadmap when rumors of a gold iPhone began a few months ago? ;)

or the fact more than black and white has been offered for a long time. Oh knows the 5C copied android b.c they have more colors!!!

I'd say they copied Nokia rather than Android

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

The bottom line is that Samsung doesn't care, they just want their name slapped on anything and everything they can manufacture. They're not worried about infringing on anyone's patents, they don't care whether they're just a big copycat of everyone else. They do it because they can. They lose a lawsuit, who cares? That's a day's worth of paycheck for them.

It's a disgusting way of doing business, and in the end, the only one who suffers is the companies like Apple and Dyson. Which is alright to them because the more they push money into these lawsuits, the less money they have overall, which will lead to financial trouble, and boom, they're gone and that's just the empty space where Samsung can line up 500 different models of the same crap to profit from.

You see to state your opinion as facts. Where is any evidence that Samsung doesn't care about infringing patents. That they just want their name slapped on anything and everything.

Bias much?

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

Lol do you think Samsung selling 50 million gs4s and 20 million note 2s are because of apple? Do you some how think apples gold color is going to help Samsung make more sales?

Its just a freaking color and another option.if someone has made up there mind on a gs4 the color choice is not going to change it.if Samsung didn't have hot gold pink you would of bought the white one.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008

With all due respect, neither Apple or Dyson were struggling last I checked. Introducing a gold coloured phone in a limited region is hardly some devious move made by a cartoon villain and the lawsuit put forward by Dyson won't bankrupt them.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
There have been gold phones before the iPhone which Apple sheeps don't understand. Samsung has also had gold phones released before so who's copying who?

Funny Apple fanboys say anything when Apple straight up copies features for iOS 7.

Hypocrites.

Last edited by a moderator:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Me neither. :)

And I see others have already addressed the rest of your post quite adequately.

----------

Both sides are guilty.....but you got to admit, this is sad enough it is amusing.

I don't find it sad at all.

How come when Apple copies, these same people making these sorts of threads are so understanding and sympathetic that Apple is merely adopting the trends of technology? Indeed, when this happens, it's a good thing for iOS/iPhone users.

But when Samsung sees that Gold is popular and introduces it (along with other colors, it's not like they just made Gold) they're copying and ripping off Apple. Why isn't Samsung credited as adopting the trends as well?

Will we see this sort of threads from these same people when Apple adopts larger screens, screens potentially as large as 6" as some reports have said Apple is testing? Or will Apple be credited as wisely following the trends of larger screen devices, even as large as phablets?

They should be credited for the latter, but so should everyone else that does the same thing. Apple is copying Samsung as they rightly should, and Samsung is copying Apple, as they rightly should, too.

Everyone copies. Everyone follows tech trends. Each company sets a few trends here and there.

----------

Care to explain the 5C? Let's hear it, OP. Let's hear how fair you are.

4163_Nokia_Lumia_520.jpg

1200-nokia_lumia_620_color-combo1.jpg

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Me neither. :)

Oh hey guys! Is this the party where we pat ourselves on the back for being atheists?

Samsung really will build anything/everything to try and outdo Apple, won't they? I'm not a fan of the gold 5S, but at least it's a palatable shade of gold/champagne. This appears to be GOLD gold... which I'm sure will look delightfully trashy in Samsung's high-quality plastic shell.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Everyone copies something from someone, but in Samsung's case it's almost shameless.

Plastic finished in gold color will never look nearly as good as metal. It'll probably look pretty cheesy in person.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I don't even own a Samsung product. Came close to buying a Samsung TV recently, but went with LG.

I don't even care about Samsung nor am I even that big of a fan of them.

But threads like this are ridiculous.

----------

Oh hey guys! Is this the party where we pat ourselves on the back for being atheists?

We can if you want it to be, I guess? :p

Anything would be better than this pathetic thread.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
It isn't about originality or borrowing ideas - that's going to happen in the industry.

My problem is that their gold phones are so flipping ugly. Design is just not Samsung's strong point.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It isn't about originality or borrowing ideas - that's going to happen in the industry.

My problem is that their gold phones are so flipping ugly. Design is just not Samsung's strong point.

Your "problem" ?

Why is this a problem for you. Were you going to buy a gold S4 and now won't because of how it looks?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.