Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi,

I am trying to work remotely from my house instead of going into the office every day.

I would like to setup some software to synchronise a remote server (already connected to VPN & mapped the drives automatically on login).

There are 2 folders
On Server: User Name
On my Macbook: User Name (in documents)

I would like to be able to sync between them, so when I copy some finished work into that folder on my mac it will sync it with the folder on the server. Whether this is scheduled hourly or promoted when a file is copied to that location- I don't mind, probably the later would be better.

I would also like the software to sync the other way as well so if someone from the office copies some files into the folder on the server my software will sync it to my macbook. again hourly or prompted on folder changes I don't mind.

I have some software called CCC (carbon copy cloner) already which does a straight clone of my external hard drives to keep 2 copies of my drives in case one fails. I have looked on this though and it seems to only have features to sync one way?

Thanks
Luke

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Your options for syncing folders two-way between Macs:

(a) Dropbox or Copy.com [also syncs content to web]

(b) BitTorrent Sync [only syncs between the Macs]

(c) rsync-based GUI such as FolderWatch [only syncs between the Macs]

(d) OmniPresence (configure via an intermediary private WebDAV server, good for documents/files that need autosave/versions support on OS X 10.7+)

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
OK.

I don't want to install any software at the office or on any other computers except my macbook.

This is how I see it working:

I have mapped the server so have direct access to the folder from my macbook, this will update as I browse it as any network drive does.

I want to have a two way sync running from my mac so I simply work on the folder on my macbook but the software will sync it with the networked drive. The software should also sync over any new or modified files over to my mac.

Simple?

my mac has all the access it needs to both folders, the software should just make sure both folders contain the same files checking both ways, if there are any conflicts it should ask which to replace or append with a number on the end of the file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.