Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Just out of habit, I have owned every model of the iPhone since the iPhone 1. Unfortunately it looks like that trend will come to an end as I will not buy the 5C. I know the 5C is more or less like the iPhone 5 but still, it's a model that I won't own.

Anyone else?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
It's pretty pathetic people don't understand or maybe can't understand that the iPhone 5C is the iPhone 5.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I bought every iPhone up to the 4S and will be once again skipping this version.

I think I am done buying iPhones after buying a Nexus 4 that is unlocked and I can use it with any GSM carrier. I didn't have to pay $700 to get it either.

If I could do that with the iPhone, I would.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I bought every iPhone up to the 4S and will be once again skipping this version.

I think I am done buying iPhones after buying a Nexus 4 that is unlocked and I can use it with any GSM carrier. I didn't have to pay $700 to get it either.

Google subsidizes the phone so that it can be sold pretty much at cost. They make their money from the ad revenue and selling everyone's metadata.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013

Seriously. With how little it's been proven to cost Apple to produce the 5C (I think it came out to about $180?), they should really be selling it to complete with the Play Store. $349 off contract for the starting model and go up from there. They'd tear Google apart for sales.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just out of habit, I have owned every model of the iPhone since the iPhone 1. Unfortunately it looks like that trend will come to an end as I will not buy the 5C. I know the 5C is more or less like the iPhone 5 but still, it's a model that I won't own.

Anyone else?

Why not the 5s? The 5c is for people looking for a mid-range phone (e.g. someone who currently has an iPhone 4 or is new to iOS).

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I can't really say I've had every iPhone because I was only 17 when the first iPhone came out and there was no way in HAIL my parents were going to spend $600 on a phone for me. :D I've had every phone since and will indeed be skipping the 5C. That said, I think it's a great phone. The only terrible thing about it are the shades of color they chose. IMO, every color is to bright and I feel darker, more vivid colors should have been chosen.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Because they can't get past the "girly, cheap" plastic.

I have the 5s. My wife has the 5c...it actually is really nice, in terms of build quality. It feels substantial and the rounded edges are nice to hold.

It's a real solid phone, and does well to breach the mid range market currently dominated by android. There are a few good android phones at that price (htc one), but a colored iphone will have board appeal.

New report today stated that the 5c may have sold equal numbers the first 3 days...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Seriously. With how little it's been proven to cost Apple to produce the 5C (I think it came out to about $180?), they should really be selling it to complete with the Play Store. $349 off contract for the starting model and go up from there. They'd tear Google apart for sales.

That's not Apple's strategy. Heck, the 5s costs only about $20 more than the 5c to build. In any case, the BOM costs you see are only for the parts. It doesn't include development, manufacturing, or marketing costs.

Anyway, iPhone is Apple's biggest money maker. They aren't going to slash their margins willy-nilly. Dell, HP, Motorola, and Nokia can tell you what happens when you try to make it up on volume.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I have both, and for calls/texts/Internet the 5C equals the 5s... and I prefer the 5C in hand over the 5S, which is a scratch & dent magnet just like the 5.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I haven't had every iPhone but did have the 3G and 4 and 5 but handed that down and gave it to my little bro so I could get the 5C. I don't really care for the comments of people "don't understand that the 5C is the 5" who ever said that we don't understand? I liked my 5 for the small time I had but when I saw the new 5C and it's colors I wanted it. Why is that bad? If you don't want then simply don't get. These posts are getting so old.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Because they can't get past the "girly, cheap" plastic.

You obviously haven't held the 5C if you're describing it as cheap. The iPhone 3G and 3Gs was made from "plastic" as well, was that phone "cheap" ? Actually yes, that phone did feel cheap, me having a 3G for 2 years i can say that.

And even though i love the 5S, its a scratch magnet.

It's pretty pathetic people don't understand or maybe can't understand that the iPhone 5C is the iPhone 5.

Better facetime camera, bigger battery. No they are not identical.

People who buy a 5S aren't going to buy a 5C. But people who want an iphone who aren't going to dish out extra $$ for features they dont want will buy a 5C. Its not like every iPhone customer 4 months ago was buying an Iphone 5. People were still buying the 4S just because it was cheaper and they didn't care for the iP5.

breegenie

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
:confused: That's like asking how many people that own last year's Corvette are going to skip this year's Impala in favor of this year's Corvette.

First, not many people will buy and use both models. And if you owned a 5, the odds of you choosing the 5C this year are probably pretty slim, since they have nearly the same specs.

I owned the first three iPhones, gave away the 4, and skipped the 4S/5/5s because I disliked the sharp-edged, delicate, slender form factor.

A coworker brought in his 5C today, and now I am planning to pick one up myself when I can get to the Apple store this weekend. It's not as comfortable as the 3G series is in hand, but it feels quite similar to my original iPhone (which is still kicking as iPod and occasionally as a backup phone).

I'm glad Apple is offering more than one design option. The only thing I want from the 5S is the camera. Hopefully I'll get lucky and next year's 5C equivalent will have the 5S camera in a curvy form factor.

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
You obviously haven't held the 5C if you're describing it as cheap. The iPhone 3G and 3Gs was made from "plastic" as well, was that phone "cheap" ? Actually yes, that phone did feel cheap, me having a 3G for 2 years i can say that.

And even though i love the 5S, its a scratch magnet.

No, I wasn't calling it that. The missus played with one at the Apple Store and she said it is not cheap, but more like how you described it. And I'll take her word over anyone else.

I was referring to what other people call it, hence the quotes. :)

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
No, I wasn't calling it that. The missus played with one at the Apple Store and she said it is not cheap, but more like how you described it. And I'll take her word over anyone else.

I was referring to what other people call it, hence the quotes. :)

oh LOL. my bad ;)

but seriously, it feels like a ceramic bowl. deff not cheap at all.

breegenie

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Like a toilet bowl? Fine China? I hope it's less fragile than that.

It's hard to describe the polycarbonate. The closest I can come to is it feels like a really thickly powder-coated metal. Both the curves and the hardness/smoothness have a unique feeling.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

Apple wouldn't make a dime off them at that price. The PARTS might cost $180, but the phone doesn't cost them that much....the engineering alone brings the cost per phone likely up to around $325 each, possibly more..add in labor for assembly, quality control, packaging, shipping, stock management, etc...I'd guess the 5C comes out to cost around $400 all told per phone from Apple's end. Then there's overhead for the retail chain, etc.... They're already by far the most profitable phone manufacturer...they know what they're doing.

Anyway, I won't own the 5C because I had a 5. No reason whatsoever to do a lateral move. I have the 5S now, and have owned the 3Gs, 4, 4S, 5 and now 5s. My mom has the 5C, and I think my sister got one too, but I'm not sure. My wife has had the 3Gs, 4, 4S and now 5 (I pass my old phone to her, and we upgrade every year).

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Newsflash Apple already is and has.

I have both, and for calls/texts/Internet the 5C equals the 5s... and I prefer the 5C in hand over the 5S, which is a scratch & dent magnet just like the 5.
I returned my 5s and got a yellow 5c. For me, the 5c was much more comfortable to hold, didn't like the sharp edges of the 5 or 5s and it kinda matches my Lumia 1020.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.