Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An alleged China Mobile poster promoting the upcoming release of the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on the network has surfaced, reports Unwired View. The poster touts the theoretical 100Mb/s download speed that the new devices are set to support on China Mobile's TD-LTE network. Chinese officials approved the iPhone to run on China Mobile's network earlier this month.

china_mobile_iphone_poster.jpg
The only thing that's missing- is the permission from Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) [for China Mobile] to light-up the TD-LTE network for commercial use.

This permission is coming pretty soon. There is a lot of discussion about how soon exactly, but now we can stop speculating about the worst case scenario. According to MIIT minister Miao Wei, the first 4G licenses will most definitely be issued by the end of the year. Though the informed sources inside MIIT are whispering much earlier date - middle of October, with China Mobile's 4G network going live soon after - in November.
A deal between China Mobile and Apple has reportedly long been in the works, with China Mobile Chairman Xi Guohua and Apple CEO Tim Cook meeting in July to discuss "matters of cooperation", with the former indicating that he felt optimistic about a potential deal leading up to the announcement of the new phones. The introduction of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c earlier this month also brought band tweaks that combine support for US carriers AT&T and Verizon in one model, but also notably added support for China Mobile's network.

Article Link: China Mobile Poster Promoting iPhone 5s/5c Surfaces Ahead of Final TD-LTE Standard Approval

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The bold characters read:

"Yidong Pinguo Lai le"

"Moving Apple has come" (Yidong = moving = mobile = [China] mobile)

It sounds so weird even in Chinese!

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
This is the "big China deal" that Opie was talking about :p

Poster is awful, but I think it fits in with other ads you see there.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
If I purchase an unlocked iPhone here in the USA for full price, will I be able to use it on China mobile in China?

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
That may be the least exciting iPhone ad ever.

China has no care for flashy and glittery ads.

They only care about making money and honoring family.

Get with the program.

----------

If I purchase an unlocked iPhone here in the USA for full price, will I be able to use it on China mobile in China?

Yes. Even 2009 Nokia phones bought in USA could be used in China.

iPhones are world phones. U just need to buy a China SIM card and you are good to go with call and internet.

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
This should be fake, otherwise the CMCC people are silly

one line reads like this:
"CMCC exclusive, a voice secretary".

First, if the secretary refers to Siri, it's not CMCC exlusive
Second, if the secretary is an built-in app, who has ever heard that any operator in the world was able to put a customized app into iPhone?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
It looks like a tacky 2003 PC ad :D

I agree that these Asian ads look horrendous. This isn't the first time I've thought this. What is it, specifically, that makes this look so bad?

Let's analyze and discuss.

• ugly looking "sparkles" on the backlit logo, looks very dated
  • dithered look of flare extensions to the backlit logo
  • letter tracking — the spacing between the letters of the word iPhone looks bad
  • the vertical distance between the tops of characters and the top edge of the colored boxes varies widely, making the bottom of the ad very messy looking
  • in the "black and white" area, does the word iPhone appear in two slightly different type sizes on the two lines?

What else makes this ad objectionable? It seems like a lot of this stuff is design school 101.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So Apple is about sell the iPhone on the worlds largest carrier which has 700 million subscribers, 100 million of whom can afford an iphone, and no one cares? Wheres Wall Street? What gives?

ryuok

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hong Kong
I said the country is ugly, not just the ad. And my post got removed for "trolling".

If my opinion, which is by the way my genuine and honest thoughts and by no mean a deliberate act to invite negative reactions from other member, violates the rules of this forum then I must apologise.

But when I say that China is an ugly country, it is a fair comment which I can back up with strong arguments. The years of communist movements and most importantly the culture revolution there have totally wiped out a generation of scholars and artists. Uneducated workers and peasants were given the jobs of teachers, propaganda officers and education ministers, etc. As a result, the country has a generation of people with minimal skill to appreciate arts, design or anything aesthetics related.

If you ever had the chance to visit the country, and compare it to its neighbours which were not affected by the culture revolution (e.g. Taiwan, Hong Kong), you'll immediately appreciate the difference. The new generation of Chinese has to re-learn the aesthetic skills that were once part of the Chinese culture which has given the world some marvellous wonders such as the Chinese printing press, fireworks, imperial architectures. It will take another generation or two before the country is rid of its ugliness.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
I said the country is ugly, not just the ad. And my post got removed for "trolling".

If my opinion, which is by the way my genuine and honest thoughts and by no mean a deliberate act to invite negative reactions from other member, violates the rules of this forum then I must apologise.

But when I say that China is an ugly country, it is a fair comment which I can back up with strong arguments. The years of communist movements and most importantly the culture revolution there have totally wiped out a generation of scholars and artists. Uneducated workers and peasants were given the jobs of teachers, propaganda officers and education ministers, etc. As a result, the country has a generation of people with minimal skill to appreciate arts, design or anything aesthetics related.

If you ever had the chance to visit the country, and compare it to its neighbours which were not affected by the culture revolution (e.g. Taiwan, Hong Kong), you'll immediately appreciate the difference. The new generation of Chinese has to re-learn the aesthetic skills that were once part of the Chinese culture which has given the world some marvellous wonders such as the Chinese printing press, fireworks, imperial architectures. It will take another generation or two before the country is rid of its ugliness.

I respectfully disagree on your opinion.

History is constantly being made and re-vised. I'd consider The Culture Revolution to be bad by Western standards (as is slavery for Americans, colonialism by the British, the treatment of women by the Middle Eastern culture, etc etc etc etc), they are not ingrained into a culture or a country.

China was, has been, is now, and will in the future be a beautiful country with a rich and amazing culture. What they have done in the past two decades is amazing and revolutionary. Like everyone in the West, get your foot into China now before they prosper into a 1st power juggernaut of the world.

:apple:

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I respectfully disagree on your opinion.

History is constantly being made and re-vised. I'd consider The Culture Revolution to be bad by Western standards (as is slavery for Americans, colonialism by the British, the treatment of women by the Middle Eastern culture, etc etc etc etc), they are not ingrained into a culture or a country.

China was, has been, is now, and will in the future be a beautiful country with a rich and amazing culture. What they have done in the past two decades is amazing and revolutionary. Like everyone in the West, get your foot into China now before they prosper into a 1st power juggernaut of the world.

:apple:

Interesting. I was having a discussion with my brother about this topic just as I read these posts. I think there is some truth to both of your posts. I currently spend nearly half of my year working in China and I can see much of what ryuok is talking about in daily life. In many of the new mega cities there is certainly a lack of aesthetics, design, and "beauty" so to speak. Although this is certainly changing with the younger generation, there is still a certain level of rigidity when it comes to thinking and expressing oneself. You can see it in the way people dress, how they decorate their homes, and even how they spend their free time.

Anyway, in terms of advertising aesthetics, my brother and I came to the conclusion that font actually has a great effect on website design, print ads, etc. Unlike english or other western languages, Chinese is somewhat restricted by font. You can't alter it too much without ultimately affecting the legibility of it. On top of that, sentences become way to crowded with Chinese characters. You will notice even Chinese websites of western companies have a hard time making websites aesthetically pleasing because of Chinese characters.

cindyhy

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
Interesting. I was having a discussion with my brother about this topic just as I read these posts. I think there is some truth to both of your posts. I currently spend nearly half of my year working in China and I can see much of what ryuok is talking about in daily life. In many of the new mega cities there is certainly a lack of aesthetics, design, and "beauty" so to speak. Although this is certainly changing with the younger generation, there is still a certain level of rigidity when it comes to thinking and expressing oneself. You can see it in the way people dress, how they decorate their homes, and even how they spend their free time.

Anyway, in terms of advertising aesthetics, my brother and I came to the conclusion that font actually has a great effect on website design, print ads, etc. Unlike english or other western languages, Chinese is somewhat restricted by font. You can't alter it too much without ultimately affecting the legibility of it. On top of that, sentences become way to crowded with Chinese characters. You will notice even Chinese websites of western companies have a hard time making websites aesthetically pleasing because of Chinese characters.

I think this is common among less developed countries. I read a lot of government and institutional reports from different countries in my job. The reports from LDCs normally look quite bad while the ones prepared by economically more well-off countries are generally better looking. I think this probably has something to do with some kind of Maslow's hierarchy of needs thingy. In less advanced countries, neither those preparing the reports nor their readers care much about aesthetics because they have more pressing needs to fulfill (quality of the content, other work etc.).

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.